Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Rocks rock

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

571 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 11:42 (GMT -5)

After feeding hundreds of characters to the RNG, here's a conclusion I've reached:

No matter what character class you are, it is ALWAYS worth it to practice throwing rocks.

Even if you are a strong fighter: You'll want to kill oozes from far away. Even, no, *particularly* if you are a caster: Your melee sucks, you start with limited castings, and until you're able to reliably blast every type of immune monster, you won't ever run out of rocks.

The only class I can possibly imagine that wouldn't need it is an archer - but even there it would be useful in case you run low on arrows.

With my current favorite (a level 30 Dark Elven Ranger) I've stumbled on a Sling of the Long Shot, trained up to Mastery, and it is really, *really* satisfying to kill ancient dragons in about 5-10 shots while they're trying to get close. :D
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4931 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Why not bows and crossbows instead? Those are stronger, arrows are common enough, and there is more slaying ammo for those, whereas slings only have bullets of demon slaying.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
littlebrather
Registered user

Last page view:

4806 days, 9 hours, 49 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 01:35 (GMT -5)

Just try to kill moloch with this stupid rocks =)

And another reason - rocks a too heavy. Having 20 of them in Inventory costs 50 arrows.

In ToF rocks are tends to explode and damage PC (while arrows are just burns).

And there is no such a good slings (slings and thrown rocks are differ) as Longbow of accuracy (+8 +2)
until it sleep
Stringburka
Registered user
newfag

Last page view:

4972 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

While I don't think thrown rocks is that useful, slings surely are. I always try to train slings a bit. While rocks are heavier than arrows, they are so common that you don't need to carry that many with you.

And I whole-heartedly disagree that there are no good slings. The artifact sling is (+12, +12), which isn't crappy, and since rocks are so common, it's easy enough to find a bunch of (+3, 1d4+3) rocks. That's the way my archer did the ToEF and Air temple - while the ammunition might explode, the sling won't. Of course, that's only if you're lucky enough to find Whirlwind.
Radziu9
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

IMO rocks are useful but are nothing compared to arrows and bolts of slaying.Bows and/or xbows are
required for all my characters except wizards and necros.The good thing about sling is that Whirlwind is extremely common artifact.Really it seems that they are in every game if my char level was say 30+.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 00:52 (GMT -5)

> Just try to kill moloch with this stupid rocks =)

it's easier than with coins
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: