Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / "Protector" for wizards = win

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Druidus
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

I found "Protector" for the first time recently, and I've just been astounded. It broke the game for me, really.

I've been running around for almost 20 levels as a gnomish wizard VERY rarely coming out of berserk. I do not need my spells, I could probably play without them. It's ridiculous, I get +20DV and +4PV. It's probably one of my favourite artifacts, now.

Anyone else find it as handy as me?
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 8 hours, 50 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

it's a nice shield, yes. though i really recommend you to stay on very aggressive so that you can gain shield marks and make it even more awesome.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Druidus
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

Doesn't it only go to Level 7? I'm there already.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

It can get to level 15 in shield skill, for a total of 30 DV on top of the 20 DV it normally gives. You won't get shield marks on berserk though.

Anyway, why are you berserk on a wizard?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

Yep, your weapon+Protector combo will absolutely dominate the early game. Then you'll come to the midgame, where the really nasty monsters come, the ones which are difficult in melee even for a powerful orcish barbarian; and you'll definitely start to miss the +30 efficiency spells that your fellow wizards pack at that point. A wizard is not a melee character. Concentrate on spells, complemented by missiles. Just train up your shield early.

Also, Protector is a nice artifact. A tower eternium shield is almost as good, while a smithed tower eternium shield may become better than that, even.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

A smithed tower eternium shield won't have the statuses or the toughness bonus of Protector, nor will it be immune to damage or divine wrath. It would also be dull to make.

Of course, it wouldn't be bad to have *alongside* Protector :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:55 (GMT -5)

"A smithed tower eternium shield won't have the statuses"

Which of those 3 resistances will you miss? With rings of the clear mind, and items of mental stability, along with morgia, confusion is a non-issue anyway.

"or the toughness bonus of Protector"

Again, along with morgia, 2 points of To don't matter.

", nor will it be immune to damage"

Remember, it's smithed. You can always restore it.

"or divine wrath."

Another non-issue. If you're doing something risky, then you DON'T wear your precious non-artifacts.

"It would also be dull to make."

Yes, it would be. But that isn't the question here...
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/27/2010 at 11:55 (GMT -5) by Maul]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

Early game you won't have those resistances. Stunning and confusion can be killers if they hit you at the wrong time. Confusion is especially nice to have several sources of against many big bosses.

The To boost comes on top of any morgia gains, and as well as extra HP it also gives +1 PV. Not too important though, I admit.

Anyway, the dullness of making an ultra-shield is the worst thing by far, especially if you then have to smith it back up when it gets damaged. The smithing itself isn't too bad, but all the mining is horrifically tedious. Having the luck to find Protector is miles and miles better, hence the evident elation of the previous poster over his fantastic find.
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

Yep, it's a real deal,to craft better you would have to use hundreds of eternium ingots and that means hundreds of hours doing virtual work you do not get paid for. Actually a wizard is one of the most powerfull melee characters due to ability of handling those "melee no goes".Lets face it,50 lv barbarian ultra is not a meelee character.No character is.

--------------Minotaur Emperor look's at you...
You Die.-------------------------
--------------------------
---------------------
---------------
----------
------
---

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the