Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Curse you ADOM!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

ADOMlover
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

I just wanted to vent... I had a promising 18th level Orc Weaponsmith. He had worked up several pieces of armor and had permenant invisibility and backstabbing. I spent a couple of hours scumming ID for the AoLS, but had no luck. I finally decided to skip an ultra ending and forget about saving Khelvaster (sp). One of the monsters on Khelvaster level dropped an amulet, which I did not check... I just handed it to him.

It was the AoLS!!! Holy cow, I couldn't believe my luck! At the end of Khelvaster's message the game CRASHED... with no backup! UGH! So much for my great luck!

Curse you ADOM!!!
Callum Hintz
Registered user

Last page view:

4928 days, 16 hours, 23 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

Damn... The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away...
Do what the rest of us do and make a backup before you talk to him. It's not cheating, merely avoiding a known bug. Good luck on your next PC!
ADOMlover
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

Good advice, Thanks Callum. Apparently this is a known bug. When Khelvaster drops a spellbook there is the possibility the game will crash. I do backup every once in a while because ADOM occasionally crashes.

I really didn't think it was an AoLS... I did have an old backup of my Orc and he had permenant invisibility. I continuned with him. but found no AoLS, so did not save Khelvaster. :(

I am progressing toward a normal ending, which I still consider a huge feat considering I haven't cheated.

On a side note, what percentage of your characters actually complete a game without cheating? About 1 in 100 of my characters wins a normal ending and about 1 in 1000 an ultra. I've been playing for years and consider myself a fairly decent player. Am I doing something wrong or just unlucky... or is this normal?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 20 hours, 51 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

This is perfectly normal :) ADOM does not forgive the smallest of mistakes or the least lackings in preparation. It require a huge amount of attention to detail to get everything just right, as well as a bit of luck here and there. Personally I'd say about 1 in 500 of my chars win. If I was more careful I reckon I could improve this to 1 in 2, but it's almost impossible to avoid getting overconfident and making mistakes.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4922 days, 21 hours, 17 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

A lot of characters die. Some deaths are unavoidable, like you step out in the wilderness with a weak character and get ambushed by something stronger. Others could be classed as avoidable, but are really unavoidable in normal gameplay (like you get killed by something nasty in the UD with your pr0 mage, although you could have avoided that with boring and tedious training in the ID). 1 in 1000 for an ultra is a bit too few, maybe, if you do actually want to get ultras with each character (if possible), but 1 in 100 for a normal is alright.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

I remember Cut or Silfir or both saying..- You dont have to die in ADOM. Wich i agree by taking correct feats, race and class combinations, doing the questions and avoiding plases like smg and ud at early game. Attempting to save puppy only with enough hp/pv to not die in triggering the trap. Increasing stats with herps when possible.Exploring id to get some expo and training in weapon skills or to find core books for caster. Being confusion resistant in tower of eternal flames lv4 and in piranha lake. Having alertness. AVOIDING melee with ancient up dragons most bosses (Minotaur Emperor) . Not grave digging unless really know you can take on an emperor lich. And the list goes on and on. Generally speaking you have to know adom pretty well and be a litle boring in your gaming if you want to 99% win your games 100% is not possible as you have to learn to be a master.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: