Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Is ADoM dead?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Encephalon
Registered user
People's Person

Last page view:

4326 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2011 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

I've been playing ADoM for about two years now, and I was wondering, if this game is so awesome, why isn't it as popular as it deserves to be? has no one gone through the trouble of advertising it? does anyone even go to the forums anymore?
if con is the opposite of pro, then isn't congress the opposite of progress?
~Philosoraptor

The gold pieces are engulfed in gray mist. nothing happens. you hear someone counting money.

You kick the Ancient Chaos Wyrm and kill it!
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

Well it's a free game, no one is going to spend a lot of time advertising it.

It was fairly well known in it's heyday, but Roguelikes and other text mode games don't have the same appeal to the people who have grown up with games like Crysis and whatever, and the "old guard" have pretty much played and discussed the game to death a thousand times over by now...

Thommas is actively developing JADE, which is kinda sorta a spiritual sequel to ADOM though.

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/11/jade-020-has-been-released.html
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Vulgar
Registered user
Necromantic Farmer

Last page view:

4486 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

I hadn't played ADOM for a long time, but I tried getting my friend into it about a year ago. I remember describing to him the rich and flexible gameplay, the plethora of monster variety and PC race/class combinations, the satisfying combat and magic, and the riveting nature of the challenging character development with true-death mechanics. He was blown away at the prospect and grand magnitude of it all.

Of course, I'd forgotten to mention the text based graphics aspect so when I finally revealed the game to him he laughed me to high heaven. To this day he still mocks my "silly word game".

For it's time, ADOM was an amazing game that I essentially grew up with. For me, it holds memories of epic moments of gameplay as well as nostalgia and memories from my teens that I will cherish for years to come. Unfortunately, the sad fact remains that it's glory days, just as my days of fresh enjoyment with it, are long since over.

Perhaps in time JADE will be good enough to replace it's predecessor, improving on ADOM and drawing me back into the world of Ancardia and filling the void that ADOM has left me, a void that even the deepest of big-budget commercials have failed to fill (I'm looking at you, Skyrim).

While this remains to be seen, it would be sufficed to say that Thomas is now a busy man with many commitments that he did not once have, so I think the chances of this occurring would be even more scant than in the days of old.

Thoughts Jan?
Should I eat it or make it my undead slave?
Vulgar
Registered user
Necromantic Farmer

Last page view:

4486 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

Also, during my ADOM heyday, I remember being a lot more active on this forum than my post-count may otherwise suggest ;)
Should I eat it or make it my undead slave?
Portrait
Encephalon
Registered user
People's Person

Last page view:

4326 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

Well as for me, I'm going to highschool right now, so I doubt i would be able to get a bunch of friends intrested in it since it's text based, complicated, and goreless. i thouroghly enjoy adom, but unlike most people my age, I don't need crazy visual graphics to keep myself entertained.
if con is the opposite of pro, then isn't congress the opposite of progress?
~Philosoraptor

The gold pieces are engulfed in gray mist. nothing happens. you hear someone counting money.

You kick the Ancient Chaos Wyrm and kill it!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4231 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

The likes of ToME4 and DCSS have kinda left ADOM in their wake, thanks to more advanced UIs and regular development. ADOM hasn't changed in a decade. Personally I've completed it several times, including under various challenge restrictions, so as much as I love the game there's not much to keep me playing.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

There is still so much to adom that it still gives me far better game experienses than any other game in long run. Morrovind and Fallout2 are other games that are long lived but for the ultimate life-time stick with you im going to vote adom. Have you,For examble tried a character who cant speak? no self iniated chatting the hole game.Or Wizard who equips something totally unusefull as a weapon the hole game,wich would kind of force the casting or melee issue.
Memoria
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

I know that this isn't really active anymore, but there is some great info on this page. I would be more than happy to code a quick captcha to make sure that these bots do not destroy this place. It would probably be safe to delete any posts made by an unregistered user in the last year or so. Jan Erik, let me know, I see that you're still active. I'll check back soon.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

Yeah not a lot of activity besides spambots these days. Mostly just bulk delete ~200 new posts every day or so. Would be 10 times worse without the filtering I do, but now they just re-post content from other forums so filtering can only do so much, and IP bans don't do much against botnets.

Probably should add a captcha or something.

Was inspired to throw in a getto bot test, let's see if they are smart enough to work around it.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/9/2014 at 06:56 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Spartancuss Spantan
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

Well you know me just not feeling like registering (oddball ******** so not remember if not having hardware with me) . Blocking unregistéred would block unregistered also not just pots.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 21:39 (GMT -5)

I am still into ADOM now that I am making time to make progress with it. I am drawn into it because there are so many challenges which keep me from just playing it willy-nilly. When I have let my guard down, a few turns can yield some costly mistakes. I am playing cautiously to get as far as I can get so I can refine from there.
Reading tips and such helps me as I incorporate them; and once I have played them (and thus incorporated the techniques into my own memory), I can get better at it. I have not beaten it after playing off and on about 4 years.
Spartan Spratacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2014 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

Thats a good attidute. Reading of things and not making use of cumulated knowledge is like driving a ferrari in german and not using limitless highways.

Cautious is good,hell even boring is good if that means you win the game first time.

Challenge is what adom is about and going to one hp and surviving is thrilling as hell just remember that there is no shame searcing information before doing something new.

you might want to consider making safe spots for your important stuff in natural phases of your journey. Stuff like corruption removal, blessed water,blessed identify scolls etc. Hatefull aura corruption for example might mess your game.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: