Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / some problems/questionshelppls

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ozma777
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

So I have 3 questions:

1. what the heck is the armor thing about?
Like some armors are just [-1 +2] this seems pretty straight forward to me (I think). So this would be -1 to DV (so not as good as a +0) and +2 to PV (so better than +1)....but what does (-1, -2) [+0, +1] mean? () AND [] is confusing me.

2. It seems like the wand of lightning ball is completely and totally useless. Either it shoots you or it shoots off in a direction that doesn't hit anything. Is this a useless item or is there some trick to using it?

3. A long time ago (different computer) I used to start ADOM and either at the title screen or just after that I would Alt-Enter to get a fullscreen ADOM with the fonts stretched so that it actually fills the whole screen. (like windowed mode's look and font/size but bigger). Now I am rarely able to do this anymore. It goes fullscreen but the entire game window (messages,stats,map) is all squished and centered so it takes about 1/3 of the space available. So with WinXP how do I get it to actually stretch fullscreen? Changing the font size/type does nothing.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 at 22:06 (GMT -5)

(-1, -2)[+0, +1] means the item gives :

-1 Melee attack modifier
-2 Missile attack modified
+0 Defense value modified
+1 Protection value modifier

Had to search a bit but it's explained in the inventory section of the manual.

It shoots in a random direction. I'm not aware of any tricks to fire it where you want to, but bolts fizzle against closed doors, so if every other direction is safe you can use that knowledge to safely zap it if you are desperate enough.

There aren't rely any native way to make text mode DOS software run in full screen in modern Windows versions. Closest would probably be to run it in the DOS Box emulator, or something like that.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Ozma777
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

cool thanks for the insights. That helps my armor selection a lot. I am assuming -1 melee and -2 missile is somehow subtracted from the damage that would have been done. And I got a desparation wand yeay. I still can't understand why the fullscreen thing doesn't work. I had been playing it with the font stretched like I wanted it, but now it isn't. Oh well.
Ozma777
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

What is really strange is that some random times (I have to alt-tab to full screen at exactly the right time between title screen and restore screen as it is switching after space is pressed) The game will then be normal stretched screen with all the stats clear at the bottom and all the messages clear at the top and fullsize map/dungeons. Otherwise at the restore/char selection screen it looks like the text is scanlined (like a nes or other game system would be scanlined) and the map,dungeons,text,and stats are all squished in the center but stretch all the way from left to right.

Strange that just using the alt-enter on the dos window at exactly the right moment will get it to look the way I want.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: