Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / A tame beggar and Khel

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 03:59 (GMT -5)

This was really bizarre. I don't know whether I've stumbled upon a bug or a feature I don't understand, so I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone could enlighten me.

Anyway... someone on the newsgroup once suggested that if you had a wimpy pet, and you ordered it to attack Khel then swapped places with it, you might get him to move off the stairs. Accordingly I gave a beggar 10 cooked lizards, led him to Khel and ordered him to attack. I waited a long time and repeated the command several times, but absolutely nothing happened (no messages about him attacking Khel, and no messages about him not caring about my order either). Then I got annoyed and ordered him to attack a passing spectre instead. This time he obeyed instantly and of course got himself killed.

So then I thought... well, beggars are lawful, aren't they, and maybe attacking Khel is too evil for a lawful companion. But when I looked at Khel afterwards, I got the full description with DV, PV and attack statistics, as if they had been fighting each other.

???

EDIT: sorry, I think the attack stats got into the monster memory because I examined Khel with a blessed stethoscope, but I still don't know why the beggar totally ignored my commands.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/26/2002 at 08:45 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
Madman
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

You can actually tame beggars like that?
BTW pet alignment has no effect.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 08:50 (GMT -5)

Yep - I don't know how much food is required, but 10 uncursed cooked lizards worked, as did 6 blessed stomafillia herbs. The beggar will say something like "Me is with ye!" when you tame him. (I learnt this strategy from someone on these forums, I think - don't know who though.)

It probably isn't worth the effort - they're pretty useless companions, and frustratingly slow to lead around after you've done the bug temple and got your speed way up.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

16 hours, 29 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

It's a good way to become lawfull though. Wear the amulet of order the sheriff give you and give about 40-50 cooked lizards (or whatever) to a Beggar and you can usualy go straight for C to L or at least NL (depending on how evil you whre, I think maybe level have something to say too, high level chars have a harder time changing alignment IIRC)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

Another thing to note that giving them blessed herb seeds (pickable from the wilderness with survival) also counts as a lawful act. (and every food for that matter, better if it's blessed tho)

It seems that TB's way of avoiding the movement of khelly by means of companion has been avoided in this way. I got a tame beggar, and a tame wild cat, and they just both stand next to him, and will return if displaced. (i also tried reading many scrolls of peace and wishing for friends but they did the same thing)

Once when i just walked straight in and ordered a quickling lord companion to attack him, he did and he killed him.

Also note that even if he is wounded he will not move from his post. (tame monsters will still fire missiles at him)

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 10 hours, 48 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

Yup giving edible stuff to beggars is a lawful act.I tried checking it and found that the lawful boost was dependent on the satiation level of the food.Thats why blessed food works better.

Khelly just cannot be moved from there.I've tried everything possible.Although unlike Dougy's quickling none of my pets really killed him.

The problem is that of if he is wounded he dosent panic.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

16 hours, 29 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 at 20:49 (GMT -5)

Hmm, while on the subject of beggars. Wonder if it would be worth it to drop a good armor, shield and weapon in frond of one, wait for him to pick it up and equip it, and then "tame" him/her...

With a spare eternium plage mail or moloc armor and a deacent ego weapon they might be a fairly deacent companion :p

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 14:03 (GMT -5)

Jan: Great idea.Unfortunatley I dont like comanions unless I'm a bard or necromancer

Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

Hahaha companions are just there for a way to kill cats.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

True.Thats all I really use them for.
IMHO in v 1.0.0 the RotMC isnt that valuable since you van get 99 dx and 200 sp easily.

Mindstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

I disagree, Messiah - RottMC grants also more criticals in melee, which is highly valuable.

Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Do the 'very good at scoring critical hits' attributes stack? Like when having bracers of war, ring of the master cat and axe of the minotaur emperor do you score lots of critical hits? Also does lucky/fate smiles or the increased luck have to do with it? Oh and I suck at the game, what kind of experience do you guys have with the increased critical hits? Is it good to hit criticals?
tictac02
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

yes, they stack, for sure, no doubt...

a certain assassin with full find weakness, cat ring, dagger with enchanced crit hit, and the class bonus, I ALMOST NEVER got anything but criticals, VERY NICE, add that to an impressive speed, glened from the corpses of wilderness quicklings and you can hit for hundreds of damage several times before they can move :D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: