Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Are roguelikes dying?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Madman
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

Lets face it.A lot of people dont know about the existence of rougelikes.Many popular games have loft fans too.I mean how many people still play Nethack?Search for nethack pages on the web and most of them havent been updated in years.
Adom too has lost some stuff.I mean most web pages on adom havent updated since g12.Even the adom site hasnt been updated in over a year.
So are roguelikes dying??
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

www.adom.de was updated about 3 mounths ago, but that's not uncommon.

Yeah a lot of fan sites seem to turn into grave sites, but I don't think that mean to much... Most of the sites just contained a link to the (old) download site and a few lines about the game anyway. No big loss IMHO. Basicaly a few big sites have taken over more and more and people haven't see any point maitaining a site that just contain the same inf you can find at the Board of turism or the guidebook and such...

www.adom.de have a LOT of hits, and even this little site served up 10,839 page views (that is not the same as visitors though, forum browsing probably make up a large part of it, but still...) last week alone...

As long as tehre are people who value gameplay over graphics I think roguelikes will be there. Granted it get increasingly harder to get noticed in the first place...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

I think the concept is still popular, that "every move counts" thing in a roguelike is really addictive... Eventually, though, graphics addicts may end up adding graphics and merging roguelikes into the mainstream. I don't know if you could count that as the "death" of roguelike games though.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

Another major pluss with roguelike games are the randomnes. You can get your head smashed by a stone trap frst thing when you enter a dungeon or you can find a kick ass ego item (or even artefact).

Most commercial games have a advanced plot they guide your though, but the trade off is that the second time you play you know just what to expect and where to find everything. Kill the replay value right off. At best you can play a couple of times vith different characters or take different troutes (if possible), but at the end of the day most commercial games end up on the shelf after you have finished them a couple of times...

There are VERY few games that stay popular for more than a year or so, in that perspective roguelike games are MORE vital than most commercial games... ADOM alone have outlived dozens of "game of the mounth" class games in it's history.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7783 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

I think Jan has a good point.The randomness of a roguelike still appeals to a lot of people.IMHO there is something more than just that.I cant put my finger on it but theres something special about
them.
After having said that I must agree that Nethack and Moya have lost a lot of players.They never seem to update.
Adom on the other hand gains popularity evrey day.

I think now would be a great time for us to canvass for Adom.Thanks to LOTR a lot of people are dusting their Tolkiens and I heard they are looking for adventure games.Nothing better than Adom.Especially since Adom give you the chance to use your imagination.Besides Adom has a Tolkien feel to it.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6125 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

When people see me play ADOM they watch a while and ask what the hell is that? And i explain. Then they'll just say: "Duh, it's not for me. I like graphics and i can't play this..." Or that the problem is english. I can't say i would be good in english, but people think i'm some kind of a genius in it for reading in english and playing adom.
well, good night anyway...

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

"people think i'm some kind of a genius in it for reading in english and playing adom"

Well, if I do say so myself, the people who play RPGs, especially roguelikes, do tend to have higher IQs than average. Strategy games don't have much appeal to those who don't enjoy thinking!
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

I think the main problem is that people seem to think you have to be fluent in English to play a text based game...

They fail to realise that while roguelike games are (mostly) text based, they are not the same as the old school text adventures, where you have to read a lot of descriptions and type in commands. I've seen plenty of people on the ADOM newsgroup that can barely put a coherent sentence togehter in English, but that doesn't prevent them from playing ADOM.

Some people just don't get roguelike games, I can understand that, but using poor language skills as an "excuse" not to try it is just dumb IMHO. If they truly don't know enough English to figure out ADOM they should consider taking classes or something. It never hurt to know a second (or third) language, especialy English...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7783 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

People actually use language as an excuse?The people I know use differnt excuses.I guess thats cos the only language they do know is english.
But you dont hafta be fluent at all.
Example: how many people actually know what adamantium is.How many people who speak fluent english have heard of a claymore.Really dumb excuse IMO.Having said that I can really fathom the thought of playing Adom in French although I do speak Freanch decently.

Jan: Text based games?Those were boring.I've played a few bout 7-8 years back.Reminds me of command line prompts in the early Oses and also reminds me of BASIC and COBOL.Ah those good ol days.

Ok I guess then people who dont like roguelikes dont have much of an imagination or much strategical thinking.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
DaC
Registered user
Duh..

Last page view:

8050 days, 22 hours, 45 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

Anyone remeber from wich game this line was,
"Ken Sent me" (the guy to a hole in the door)
or,(second part of the saga)
"Who did you recognize me?" (the guy)
"Only German women have so flat Breasts" (KGB)
if no-one knows.. im disapointed..

Duh, troll juice..

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 3/7/2002 at 04:54 (GMT -5) by DaC]
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

The first leasure suit larry IIRC.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
FierySam
Registered user
Homeless

Last page view:

7244 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 19:18 (GMT -5)

damn im only 12 and i dont undrstand what you guys are saying.. I feel like a big dumb log... well ikll tell you my backround to distinguish if im dumb at all... I first got to RPG'ing ince i was 5. Got into ADOM about 1 or 2 years ago.. ADOM was one of th best rpgs(roguelike?) games i eer played.If it wasnt for my love of FF2 then i wouldnt be heree.(btw FF IV is FF2 in canada)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/8/2002 at 19:18 (GMT -5) by FierySam]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 at 23:52 (GMT -5)

Yep, Leisure Suit Larry would be pretty much before your time... 'Course it's before my time, too--I'm not even out of my teens yet... Check out some of the abandonware sites out there, some of the cool old games can still be found.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 21:20 (GMT -5)

I never got the hang of the old Sierra games myself. By the time I started playing adventure games the mouse controlled Lucas Arts games where out. It just felt aukward to have to type in every command, especialy with the limited english vocabulary I had back then (hech I didn't know what half the stuff I had in my inventory in Maniac Mantion was, but at least I didn't have to type in the name every time I wanted to use it).

Besides I never did figure out how to make it from the liquor store to the hotel without that darn Taxy driver stealing the wine and crashing (In Larry 1)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

I have played through only larry 1. but i finished the mouse working larry 5 and 7.

Messiah
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

Hmm. Leisure Suit Larry was before my time too.I've played his games though.He was sorta the first gaming icon.IMO hes a real char.I mean hes an ordinary single man who's a failure with women.Thats what sets him apart from the usual steroid pumping heroes.

Irida: Abandonware is still illegal.If you do check those ol games out remember to try Faery Tale 1 & 2.
Heka
Registered user

Last page view:

8086 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

I was a real fan of those old Sierra games. In my opinion they were about the best games in the late eighties and early ninties. I solved most - if not all - the text-based games like King's Quests, Space Quests, Leisure Suit Larries, Police Quests, Hero's Quests, Colonel's Bequest, Codename: Iceman, Gabriel Knight and so on... They were fun even with CGA (and later EGA)display and PC-speaker!
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6299 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

I've played many rogue likes, ADOM, Angband, Castle of the winds,nethack, SLASH'EM (computer too slow)moria, Knight's quest, Quezar's Caverns, Furcadia, Rogue etc...
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

I'm a year older than fierysam but look at all I've played..... and I still get a 4.0!
I think the rogue likes will return, alot of people are starting to hear about it. I started playing moria when I was 8, ADOm when I was 11.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/8/2002 at 20:43 (GMT -5) by C]
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7204 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

I don't think rogue likes will die anytime soon...
The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?
Beth
Registered user
Princess

Last page view:

7684 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

What the hell is a rouge like?
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1661 days, 3 hours, 54 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Oh dear god...

*mumble mumble (censor) mumble*

In the beginning, there was Rogue. People liked Rogue so they branched out. You have many branches of games from Rogue. Games that have the same idea as Rogue. Games that are like Rogue. Rogue-like games.

I know I'm not spelling rogue correctly. That is a weird word to spell.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 18:45 (GMT -5)

Erm, actually, you are. "Rouge" is another word for a sort of cosmetic. :)

Beth... you are kidding me, right? You really don't know what a roguelike is? But I suppose you could just be lumping them in with the more boring, graphics oriented games in the larger grouping called "RPGs".

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

The moloch-1/2 Mentally challenged troll has returuned!! Beth, if you don't know what a rogue like is why did you come to this forum, to pester me until I faint?!?

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

Speaking of graphics I have heard that everquest is quite good. It is massivly multiplayer with thousands of people online at one time.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6512 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

EverCrack has good gameplay, but the graphics are very dated in terms of MMORPGs (Ie, Star Wars Galaxies).

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6676 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 at 03:08 (GMT -5)

LOL, Old thread^^

I think Roguelikes arent dying but there could be better times if u know wht i mean^^

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7194 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 23:04 (GMT -5)

We need a good Roguelike with a good storyline. Say...what if someone could take the scource code from some of the roguelikes out there and turn it into a more develpoed story-type game? Most roguelikes seem to be too much of a go down the dungeon type game. Instead, make it more of a cross the land & gather info type game. Tweak the skill system from ADOM a bit, and I think we'd have something pretty good. Anyone up to helping me?
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 at 03:08 (GMT -5)

Just wait 'till JADE comes along...
I have a mental picture of it: a mix of morrowind/daggerfall and ADOM, creating an enormous world with the intensity of ADOM, without the bugs from those elder scroll games.
(I think they're both from scroll..)

Usually the problem of playing roguelikes as a n00b is getting hang of the controls. with a good help file and patience it's manageable. Just as long as there're people with patience,imagination and an interest for fantasy games, roguelikes won't die, as mentioned before.

and the point of my post was... ah well ^^
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5593 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

I dunno. I think if you take into account the widespread availabillity of the internet these days, the genre would be more popular than ever.

In raw numbers alone there would be more people playing roguelikes now than ever before. Simply put, I would argue that people who are attracted to RLs are the type who will not abandon them easily. The low tech requirements to be able to enjoy them on most any computer configuration across many OS is a huge pro as well. The number of people who enjoy computer games as a form of entertainment has also demonstrably risen sharply since the creation of Rogue.(Whenever it was, late 70's early 80's?). You would have to think that at least a small number of these players would be into RL games.

Honestly, in real terms (numbers of people playing), you would be hard pushed to argue that they were not at the peak of popularity.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: