Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Shopkeepers/Merchants Goldtoss

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

RossMan4Life
Registered user
Crazy Breakdancing Robot

Last page view:

7949 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 23:43 (GMT -5)

Has anyone looked into shopkeeper corpses? A necromancer might have some fun with the power of a shopkeeper in his undead army. Can you get a figurine of a shopkeeper, once again, super coin attacks that knock Mario out of the park. Does anyone know much about the Merchant class's ability to use money as a projectile? I am almost certain that all the other classes get some message about "The <monster> catches the gold piece." I can't remember the effect with animals... I recently raised a dwarvish merchant to ~level 10, he used only gold as a weapon in the ironman challenge. I think that the gold never increased a weapon skill, however, every experience level I got, it either got stonger and/or more accurate. IIRC the base damage was 1d2 and I started with a bonus of +5 to damage (ring of damage equipped). Clearly the formula for shopkeeper's toss is *very* different than merchants's. That last statement comes from the idea that shopkeepers do a wider range of damage per hit. Any merchant players, please answer.
Imagine a merchant with a shopkeeper companion. Now imagine that merchant having scummed in the quickling tree for thousands of speed. Now imagine those two in the small mountain cave. Now tell me that didn't make you smile.

Oh the joy that has been brought to us by the mystical drink known simply as "Kool-Aid."
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 20:21 (GMT -5)

Ok... throwing coin to-hit and to-damage is increased with dexterity and level.

+180 bonus to hit, 1d2+54 damage

was the best i could get with a level 50 troll merchant with 99 dex. (archery skill appeared to do nothing). Also note that throwing coins doesn't increase weapon skills. (however i did manage to take out the DT shopkeeper by throwing coins)

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

so STR doensn't increas coin throwing damage?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 17 hours and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 02:13 (GMT -5)

Did you try using archers gloves?
I do better damage with thrown si's and rocks with dx 99 and L50

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/1/2002 at 02:20 (GMT -5) by Tha Messiah]
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

I didn't notice any difference from increased strength. And nah i didn't try archery gloves, i spose they'd help, but my char is gone now so i won't be testing anymore with him.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7930 days, 5 hours, 28 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

Did anyone submit a report of this to TB? perhaps this is a bug. I think that strength should increase the damage, and that having that class skill should actually improve the damage
Gyr Returned
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 at 21:08 (GMT -5)

Not a bug. Damage from most missile weapons is based on dex rather than str. One of the things that make Hurthling merchants a playable race/class.

I play a fair number of merchants. Coin throwing's not that great at high levels, but it's a good choice for low str chars at the very beginning. (not only does fair damage, but coins are light, and easier to find than most other types of missiles)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/3/2002 at 21:09 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
DaC
Registered user
Duh..

Last page view:

8045 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2002 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Dont think so, low level PC's dont usually have much gold.. and i prefer si's.. is there any OTHER ways to dispose of them than these(i mean, a way to dispose which is actually "profitable" in some way?:
--------------------------------------------------
SACRIFICIN
GIVING TO DEMENTED RATLING
SELLING
?
?
?
--------------------------------------------------
i know of the other ways, like dropping, but there is no profit in that(Except if you are burdened etc.)

Duh, troll juice..
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8038 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2002 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

the exe says the si "allows you to be more creative" i think that's the ancient dwarf talking about grogron and glak. he says they didn't tell anyone it's secret, although he may have just meant that it duplicates.

i think there's a small outside chance that the strange item, which is a small lightweight item may have something to do with terinyo and lawinesldkjfthol / i try one hole in the wall. it might be some sort of key or device that activates a hidden entrance. maybe since adom tells the weather that you have to be in a certain wilderness area during bright sunlight and "u" the si to gain entrance to something. i dunno, just a hunch. i mean there's no actual reason to have weather conditions in this game. they don't serve a major purpose but do be fair to real life, like being surronded by wolves while wearing clothes or leather armor and not having them shredded, or the food items in your backpack get eaten by them is being fair when nothing but rain ruins your stuff. i've carried books in the rain before, no big deal. i mean, what kindof friggin backpack leaks anyway? or maybe that's the cost for damage caused by your average everyday things like giant explosions and emperor lich encounters. maybe i should do some research on this, lol.

later

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/4/2002 at 04:52 (GMT -5) by adomer2]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 33 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 04:51 (GMT -5)

Dac, about the si: I think the sentence you're remembering from the FAQ is "There are at least four productive uses for this item." I think they are:

Sacrificing
Selling
Wielding to bash a jelly (or to have artifacts and artifacts only equipped while trying to convert an altar)
Throwing away to propel yourself on the icy level.

The demented ratling won't accept sis.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7762 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

Demented ratling accept sis, but only after maked his quest:)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 3 hours, 42 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

But here's the question: Does said ratling gain power and levels from sis? If he does, there's yet another way to cheat... :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

ooo, that could be nasty...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7762 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

Nope, he only just eat;) He don't gain any levels after ate si

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: