Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / D:50 and stuff

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

A couple of questions I thought of after my Hurthling Priest won the game but was too badly corrupted to ever lead a normal life afterwards:

If you close the gate on D:50, but don't destroy the levers with a wand of destruction, do the monsters keep opening it again until you've killed them all? I had just one wish in that game, and it went on wands of destruction. I thought about SoCR but decided that I'd probably get more corruptions killing everything on D:50 than I'd remove with the scrolls.

Can corruption removal items be generated in the Infinite Dungeon after you've closed the gate? If so (and I don't see why not), what I should have done was just hung out there until I found the means to remove my corruption before leaving.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7778 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

I havent had any problem killing all the monsters on D:50 but to my knowledge (greater)balors are quite capable of opening the gate.
Oui, corruption removal items can be generated in the id.But you'll have to spensd quite a bit of game time.What bout the unicorn quests?

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

I'd already had the white unicorn cleanse me to stop me turning into a writhing mass of primal chaos. There was an extreme shortage of SoCR that game: Khel died, I was lawful so the mystic gave me the axe, I haven't figured out the wierd tome thing yet, so that leaves the six SoCR from the bug temple and one (1) randomly generated SoCR. (No tracts of order either - I've heard they cleanse a lot of corruption if you're lawful.)

Plus I have the habit of trying to make all my characters into Avatars of Order or Balance, and if something happens to make that impossible, trying to get as close as that character can (in this case, walking out as a Champion of Law with the Crown and Medal of Chaos and the crumpled scroll). I accumulated several corruptions just on the Emperor Moloch's level.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

Just out of curiosity: Why did you kill the Emperor Moloch when you did a normal ending? If you diden't knew, Emperor Moloch's level severely corrupts you so be *very* quick down there, or lure the hunk of armor up one level and fight him there.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

Also there's only 5 scrolls of chaos resistance from the bug temple. There's another guaranteed one in the HMV. Also note that after the gate is closed background corruption ceases... thus the best place to go for SoCR, PoCC, and wishes is the blue dragon caves. Also didn't you get the PoCC from the druid for giving him orb guardian keriax, black unicorn corpses?

Any of the intelligent monsters is the best way to put it. There is an extremely obvious message if a monster re-opens it. All balors, chaos wizards and ghost lords i believe can re-open the gate.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 06:09 (GMT -5)

Locke, it's a policy I picked up from the Nethack newsgroup.

<Nethack discussion starts here>
Occasionally someone will post there saying that they've accidentally changed alignment and can they change it back so that they can go on their quest and get the Bell of Opening? They'll be told that they can't change back and their game is unwinnable. They will then almost always be advised to do the best that character can, i.e. go down to the bottom of Gehennom then escape the dungeon with the Candelabrum and the Book of the Dead.
<Nethack discussion ends here>

The ADOM analogue to that is: you can't ascend if you can't find an AoLS - the best you can do is to close the gate and leave with the Crown and Medal of Chaos and the crumpled scroll. Well, I suppose you could try to become a Chaos God instead, but I don't like playing evil characters.

Dougy, yes I gave the druid a couple of corrupted corpses, but it still wasn't enough. I should have cooked all the orb guardians and saved them for him, but I don't think even that would have been enough. Thanks for the tip about hanging out in the blue dragon caves - I hope that's not considered scumming or abusive or anything.

(Does anyone else wonder what kind of backward place your character lives in that you can't get SoCR after you leave?)
Portrait
DaC
Registered user
Duh..

Last page view:

8045 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

orb guardians? i've only found the fire orb and water orb, you mean grues? or for example the Snake from Beyond...? what is the HMV?

Duh, troll juice..
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

7897 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

i've read somewhere that the final score is reduced if you destroy the levers, so it's better to use wands of door creation around the lever, lock the doors but one and create a weak monster on top of the lever (balors can't teleport there). and then, obviosly, lock the last one.

WMoPC shatter the doors easily, so what you need to do is to get a chaos mutant or a greater chaos servant to be the first in line in the corridors that lead to the lever rooms, create a door in the corridor, lock it and teleport on the other side. (wow, i'm really good at putting things complicated...) just do it twice and teleport on the < (and hope for the best =).

/* moreover... if you don't want to kill any balors, you do the corridor thing, teleport/kill the other creeps in the room until the balor starts to move, create three locked doors in the room and seal yourself inside there and check with monster detection until the balor has teleported away to search for you (and be careful not to discover the secret doors that lead in the main hall). */

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e
VirRe
Registered user

Last page view:

3840 days, 34 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 09:50 (GMT -5)

DaC - HMV = High Mountain Village
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 21:02 (GMT -5)

DaC: The Orb guardians are the ones that drop the Orbs when killed:

Ancient Chaos Whyrm
Snake From Beyond
Master summoner
Stone beast
Chaos Archmage

All of those are worth a potion of chaos removal (or whatever it's called) if you give them to Guth'Alak back in the village. You also get a potion for the Black druid (talk to Guth'Alak before the elder) and IIRC the black unicorn and maybe a few others...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

Chaos rats?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 01:59 (GMT -5)

nope not chaos rats, that would be a bit too exploity. Keriax's corpse works... not the minotaur emperor tho.

perhaps there's others but i can't think of any off-hand.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: