Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / "The last lord of the rings"

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

fgn
Registered user

Last page view:

8074 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Have you read "The last lord of the rings"? I don't know if this the right English title, because it's Russian book (original title - Poslednij Kolcenosiec ). What do you think about the book? I'm going to buy it, but I don't know if this worth buying it.

"wlazł kotek na płotek spadł na pysk
złamał se dwa żebra wypadł mu dysk"
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6323 days, 4 hours and 18 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

It's "Lord of the rings" ... well, I suggest you go and buy it right now, I've read it about dozen times... I can say that it's the best book what I've read and believe me, I read a LOT.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 at 23:00 (GMT -5)

Yep, defenently a good book, or books depending on what version you get (I have the three "softcover" (or is to called pocket version?) versions because they where a lot cheaper than the big all in one hardcover thing).

I would recomend getting the english version though. Provided you know the language good enough. Translations rarely have the same "magic" as the originals.

Oh, and get "the Hobbit" (subtitled, "there and back again" or some such) while you are at it. It's not strictly part of "Lord of the rings" trilogy, but it is nice to have read first anyway seeng as it's the first part of the storry realy...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3757 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 00:02 (GMT -5)

I read The Hobbit when I was about ten (started learning English when I was six, no language barrier there)... thought it was the funniest book ever made. And it doesn't include so many pages of "talking about nothing" as the Trilogy.

<Ducks behind shield, awaits pro-Tolkien "he-does-NOT-talk-about-nothing" flame>

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

he does NOT talk about nothing!!
not compared to Tad Williams. the Dragonbone Chair has a too-large helping of too-pointless details (example: "He threw the wooden sword over his shoulder; it bounced once on the grass, then landed flat." we really needed to know that. and no it doensn't connect to anything else. there are other examples. in fact it takes him three or so chapters to do what other authors do in the first chapter, and he does the job just as well). i wouldn't read that book if i were you.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

Jan, I have the "hard-cover" version of LotR and it's exactly the same as those softcover versions... atleast here in finland.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 22:16 (GMT -5)

Yes they contain the same thing, but last I checked the all-in-one book "hardover" version cost quite a bit more than the softcover trilogy.

Granted there are several versions around, maybe I just compared with a "luxury" model or something. Mainstream bookstores tend to have a rather limited selection of fantasy books over here... Usualy all the have are the cheap softover versions, and if they have anythign else it tend to be a expensive "gift" version or whatever it is they call it.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7653 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

maybe fgn meant the PARODY of LoTR (*last* lord...)...

BTW, I have a whole movie on school hard disk: 1.4 Gt, .avi, divx ... hehe... you can guess what I'm doing on breaks ;)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

fgn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 07:29 (GMT -5)

Yeees Stas the LAST - I wouldn't ask about LoTR - nearly everyone knows this book.
Last LoTR is the story told by the loosers - orcs, Sauron, Saruman

Stas, but on the PC it isn't the same effect as in the cinema....this sound! this large screen yeaaaaaaah ;DD

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/11/2002 at 07:36 (GMT -5) by fgn]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

hmm, i wonder what it would be like to play ADOM on a movie theatre screen...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

but it is *FREE* watching it on monitor... anyway, it has *great* quality, but the school PC-equpment doesn't allow wide-screen & good sounds (the files have that all)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 8 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

Duke: I actually enjoyed Tad Williams' quadrilogy. Yes, it is as blatant a copy of TLotR, but I think Tad does the story justice, and there are a couple nice twists -- although the very last chapter (postlude?) was pointless.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7764 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 at 11:23 (GMT -5)

"Last Lord of the Ring" is very good book there are a lots of differents grey shadows, non only white and black;) And the best "LLotR" never contradicted in any point with "LotR"...
Parody of LotR hehehe in 1968 or 69 few writters make a "Boring of the Rings". Crazy version of LotR, but it is good to;)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
fgn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

In my city I can't buy Last LoTR...when I asked in the bookshop about it, they thought that I was asking about last part of LoTR, "Return of the king"...

Portrait
DaC
Registered user
Duh..

Last page view:

8046 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

I must be oldish, i got LoTR from year 1981 soft, all three parts in there, i cant seem to find silmarillion anywhere.. sucks.. worth reading?

Duh, troll juice..
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

I suggest you read it... Not as good as LotR but sdtill worth of reading.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

actually it is better than LoTR, in many ways (but not all)...

Lord of The Rings

C
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 at 21:27 (GMT -5)

I read the whole series way before I heard about any movie.
Prickle Pear
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

A car came betweem Frodo and Sam in the movie I watched, the people guffawed.
Prickle Pear
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 17:23 (GMT -5)

Good movie, better book!
Portrait
Strudds
Registered user
The Lost Soul

Last page view:

7187 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 at 08:15 (GMT -5)

The Silmarillion reads like a history text book, good though

Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane and thou opposed being of no woman born, yet i will try the last. before my body, i throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff, and damned be him that first cries, 'hold enough!'

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: