Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / daggerfall

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

hmmm... After I've played the game thru (took few weeks), I must say: great ideas, but lousy coding... perhaps because the game was released 1994 :)
Anyway, ADOM has much to learn about this game: the biggest thing is that you can make your own class & spells... if you like the idea, try daggerfall... zipped: 128 Mt, use Morpheus...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 05:15 (GMT -5)

this made General section 3 pages long!! ;)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

Well I doubht we'll see custum classes and spells in ADOM...

Sounds right up the alley for Jade though... IIRC it will be "classles" so you can pretty much join any guild you'd like and gain abilities from multiple ones (provided they don't clash completely like paladins and necromancers).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 19 hours, 37 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

where could i get daggerfall? i'm usually interested in new games...
another game like this are teh Exile games, although they are lacking in other areas... all three are on www.free-games-net.com IIRC, if not there search for Spiderweb Games on some search engine.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 00:59 (GMT -5)

use morpheus (a napster-like prog)...

Jan>I hope JADE will be working like that (it should'nt have classes *at all*, just guilds)... if not, my RPG *will* ;) When you start a char, you can choose where he will study for how long and what :)

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 19 hours, 37 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

arg, more downloading... i geuss that means scratch that game...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

Be sure do download the latest patch, map fixer, and extra quests as well. I can give links if you ask nicely.

No, I'm not dead. ;)
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

damn... ;)

BTW, Palagran: please, please, NO anime pictures... please?

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

Why?

I'm going to replace this, later.
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 06:02 (GMT -5)

anime pictures are totally from the deepest vortices of black bottom :)

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

Well, gee, could there be a reason they're so terrible? ^_^
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

I've been playing daggerfall for a couple of days now, and I must say I'm quite impressed.

The dungeons anoy the hell out of me though, the one I'm in now have a lot of one way teleporters (who have brick wall textures for some reason tbw.), this makes it impossible to backtrack, and the 3D map gets completely uselses in realy big dungeons (like this one), you have to spend ages zooming, rotating and panning the map view just to find out where you are, and if you want to view a "level" that has other levels over it you'll have to zoom in untill the "camera" is below the floor of the abowe leveles, this give a very limited view... I've literaly spend most of today in the same dungeon, is there no limit to these darn things!?

I was just going to do a quck quest (7 day limit) to find a drunken priest who had wandered off, but now I have been pacing the hallways for at least 14 days (I did find the priest, but he disapeared when the time limit elapsed)... Several parts of the dungeon look exactly alike (seems they have resycled major dungeon "bits" to save time when building the dungeons), and the part of the dungeon where the exit is in about a screen away from the part I'm in now (one way teleporter)... The map looks like a bucket of shagethi (corridors crissing, and criss crossing over and under each other all over the place... If I ever get out it's sure luck, the map is no help at all...

Other than than anoying detail the game looks quite nice, I like games that give me a lot of freedom...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

Hi Jan. The Daggerfall veteran is here to save the day. :D

Yes, the dungeons do end. However, I once was given a very special quest (one that would earn me the ADOM equivilant of an artifact) that seemed to have every portion of every map in the game connected into one. What you're doing isn't so bad. ^_^

There's an unspoken rule for entering unfamiliar dungeons. Always, always, ALWAYS anchor a teleport spell at the beginning of each dungeon. Trust me -- it'll save you a headache.

If you want to have more time to accomplish your dungeon-involving quests, travel recklessly to the site. You don't have to arrive during the day to enter.

I know a secret way to instantly appear at the beginning of any dungeon. If you are absolutely desparate, let me know and I'll fill you in. I must warn you, though. The secret is heavily corrupting.

One way you can find your way out of a dungeon is to use the "right wall" technique. Simply follow the right wall all the time. Of course, it doesn't work absolutely, but it helps.

You can click on a place on the dungeon map to have it blink. Right-click on a portion of the map to have it disappear.

I know lots of great stuff about this game. There are many ways to have fun with it. Hehe... I've had this game for years and I've only seen two or three of the endings.
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

In one non-random level, you can't get out of the dungeon without the teleport-spell... when I first realized that, that really pissed me off, because I've explored that dungeon for 4 hours... argh :)

Jan: if you don't want to explore dungeons (usually there is not good stuff there, and monsters are way too easy), try Daggerfall spoiler sites... :)))

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 07:00 (GMT -5)

Yeah, my first character was a thief with no magical abilities at all...

I quickly discovered the usefullness of the teleport spell though (that eneable cheat thing in the config file to teleport around in the dungeon was in a readme file of bug fixes that came with the game, though I won't use that...).

Another thing that buggs me is that I keep falling though elevators and stairs. Though levitation (and teleport once in a while) and frequent saving help a lot. Once I got stuck "inside" the mage guild in daggerfall (I didn't enter (was still in town mode) I just fell though the roof and got stuck inside the walls), fortunately I could just speed fravel to daggerfall again to "teleport" to the town gate.

BTW: My first char found a nice magical silver armor on the very first thief you run into in the starting dungeon. It casts wizards fire when I use it, and it's come in handy on a number of ocations (once I ran into one of those "ambush" places (cells that swing open once you enter the central room) and suddenly had 6-7 werewolves bearing down on me. A few zaps later and they where all toast Muahaha.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

Stas:

Which dungeon is that? I think you mean the final area. Oh, and I'm going to change this avatar soon. Really! >:)

Jan:

Sounds like your char had a lot of luck. I like to keep LUC at at least 60 so I can find great items sooner.

Do ya know about covens and daedra summoning?
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7654 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

Palag>IIRC Castle Daggerfall or Castel Sentinel or that another Castle...and what means "avatar"? do you mean that picture?

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

A castle? I don't know if you have to teleport out of one of 'em. I usually do it anyway, so I wouldn't know. ^_^

*Poke* Yah, the picture is an avatar.
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

7833 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

I remember my first quest well... I was told to do some mage quest... it took me to a lone house in the middle of nowhere. I went up the spiral stairs, took care of the rogue mage, and went back down the stairs. As I opened the door, to my horror, was a wailing lich, stuck halfway up the stairs. I was terrified. I grew to like my first character... I didn't wanna have to make a new one just yet. But then, I noticed, it wasn't coming after me... it was STUCK on the stairs. Not going up... not going down. Just waving its staff at me like a maniac, and wailing its head off. Each time I got close, it would hit me, and it would take off a good sized chunk of HP. I couldn't get past him, neither would he continue up the stairs (and this was WELL before I knew how to teleport, either by spell or by cheat). Needless to say, every time I hear a lich's wail, I get that same feeling of annoyed fear...

BTW- If you've ever seen the movie "The Postman", the one part where the second town opens up their gates to the Postman, the "gate-opening" sound is also the same "door opening" sound in Daggerfall.

On a side note, I hate the void. I hope Morrowwind didn't suffer the same fate with the void.

Anyways, here's a character creation cheat that I haven't seen on any other web page :

Spoiler
When creating a character, max out a stat completely (strength, intelligence, etc), then press "u", and it will reset the point counter.

My signature is umop apisdn.

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/26/2002 at 17:30 (GMT -5) by DarkWolf]
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Hey, if you wanna see a game even better than Daggerfall, check out Morrowind. Although it runs poorly on "Minimum Requirement" systems, and almost tolerably on "Recommended Requirement" systems, it is everything that was good about Daggerfall (free-ness of everything), and fixed that which was not good (the shelf pics did not change according to what was on the shelf). Magic is less effective, however, and the void still exists (although hardly noticable, and only under EXTREME conditions). The Construction Set that comes with it allows you to create your own races, classes, their looks, abilities, and gives more freedom than Daggerfall ever could. Good thing: DUNGEONS ARE SMALLER AND LESS PAINFUL TO EXPLORE!!!! Go check it out... it is definately worthwhile.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah I'm seriously considering to purchase Morrowind. I've been looking for a playable demo for a while (I like to preview my games before I buy them), but no luck (I've seen several movies and reviews and such though)...

World building tools are defenently a BIG pluss for such games though, it was actualy the biggest reason I bought NWN (the official campaighn is only so-so compared to BG I & II, but with better multiplayer support and 1000+ and growing fan made modules out there (of varrying quality though) it add a lot of replayability). It's fun to make you own modules too, though I can't seem to get my hardware to agree with the toolset so it keeps crashing my computer :(

But I'm wandering off topic... I'm defenently planning to get my hands on Morrowind, especialy if the dungeons are a little less painfull :) Can't seem to get Daggerfall to run under Windows XP so I might as well "upgrade" the game too.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

They said a while back that they wouldn't make a demo of it. But for a quick walkthrough of character creation:

You start off on a prison ship, a guard walks up to you and tells you to move along (you learn how to walk). You find a ladder up to a hatch (you learn how to activate things). The guards on deck tell you where to go (you learn how to talk to people). A guard walks up to you on the pier and says "You've arrived, but our records don't show from where" And you get to choose your race, gender, and face. After following the guard you enter the record-keeping building, and talk to some guy who's going to release you from your prisoner status (deciding your class from either answering questions, picking your own class, or having a custom class, which regrettably is permanently called "Adventurer"). From there you learn about combat, magic, stealing, and manipulating the world around you.

Although the controls are VERY awkward, after a while, though, they become second nature. One quick useful hint, there's a "quick walk" command, Q, that they didn't list on the manual, which makes you continually walk until you press Q again.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

Morrowind minimum requirements :
Windows ME/98 128 MB ram; Windows XP/2000 256 MB RAM; 500 MHz Intel Pentium III, Celeron, or AMD processor; 8x CD/DVD-ROM Drive; 1GB free hard drive space; Windows swapfile; DirectX 8.1 (included); 32MB Direct3d Compatible video card and DirectX8.1 Compatible driver; DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card; Keyboard; Mouse

Recommended:
800MHz or faster Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor; 256 MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS, or ATI Radeon 7500 or faster video card.

I recommend that you should have more RAM than 256, or else it runs pretty choppy. Also, your monitor must be able to run in 32bit mode (True Color).

rootbin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

Nothing beats Daggerfall. Period. Games these days suck.. All graphics. It's these older games that have true content. I still can't stop playing Daggerfall, despite the bugs, I still love the game. Morrowind, on the other hand...

Asheron's Call was another excellent game without much care to graphics. AC2 on the other hand...

And then of course ADOM. Truly the best games are those with more care to gameplay. This is why SNES is widely considered the best console system to date. That and Atari..
rootbin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Morrowind held my attention for a day... The graphics were beautiful, but gameplay was simple and dumbed down, as with most new RPGs. I was a true Morrowind fanboy, I anticipated that release and surfed those forums with all my time like crazy. Dissapointment..

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: