Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Plutonium Man challenge

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 2 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

Since everyone on the newsgroup just ignored my question about the precise rules of the Plutonium Man challenge, I thought I'd post it here.

For those who don't know, the Plutonium Man challenge can roughly be described as "kill at least one of every single monster". Sadly, this isn't possible (for example, you cannot kill both an old crone and an Elder Chaos God).

So it turns into "kill as many different types of monster as possible". One interpretation of this rule obliges you to take the carpenter quest, because it gives you both a healer and a carpenter to kill, while the druid quest only gives you a black druid.

What are the ethics of using wishes when trying this challenge? It would be nice if you could let the "real" cute dog die and wish up another one to kill, and talk to the real dwarven mystic but kill a wished-for one, but it feels a bit like cheating.

Has anyone actually tried this challenge yet? I think I might attempt it if I get sick of gray elven paladins. (I'm playing them because nobody's won with one yet, but they have very low toughness and tend to get killed.)
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7762 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

Cool challenge. But what with Cursed man challenge, when you must have only cursed equipment, you couldn't use blessed items, no uncursed, food only cursed, et caetera, when PC gains some cool stuff and wants keep it in backpack he must curse it, dip in unholy water or read cursed scroll of uncursing. If not, he must drop this item:).
Another challenge "fat man" this is idea of one of my friends, when you must eat all corpses that have you found. Tension rooms with kobolds would be very deadly:) Corpses of orb guardians too:) (once my necro ate corpse of Keriax (11 coruption effects) and Nuurag-Vaarn (only 7 coruption efects).... It's very powerful and corrupting thing. But Keriax I ate before entering the Chaos gate is nice for being extremally corrupted;)
And my private challenge - ultimate chaos, true paragon of chaos, when PC makes only chaotic acts. It rules out being true paragon of Order or Balance nor having platinium girdle:)))

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2002 at 15:39 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day and 40 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

Regarding the wished for monsters:

I think that would be ok, wishes are not that common, but if the game allow you to wish for someone I don't see the real problem...

... Unless the "official" rules explicitly says you can't wish for monsters.

Using the temp file cheat to back up dwarftown, kill everyone and then restore the "unspoiled" city on the other hand would defenently be cheating (guess they would still be hostile though, there is probably some global variable involved in that particular case)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/14/2002 at 18:50 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

IMO, wishing for monsters that are available to you without wishing should not be allowed. It is a challange after all. :)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 2 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

Do you mean no wishing for monsters at all? That would make the challenge very tedious, because you'd have to hang out for ages waiting for rare monsters like solars and ki-rins to be generated.

Or perhaps no wishing for unique monsters (you can wish for a ki-rin if that's the only way you'll find one, but you can't wish for a cute dog just because you don't like doing the puppy cave that early).

Or maybe no wishing for monsters which you can _guarantee_ to find some other way? That would mean that if a lawful god always sends solars against you when you make him REALLY mad (just an example - details may be wrong), then you may not wish for a solar, you must get one by angering a lawful god.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 12:23 (GMT -5)

Umm, I've tried to get my deity hating me after I was crowned... first he just destroyed my stuff, then zapped me with lighting couple times (immunity helps), then started summoning wraiths... nothing more... bleh, lots of corpses, lots of toughness, lots of alignment changes.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 18 hours, 59 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 12:55 (GMT -5)

Sounds interesting.But mabye It'll be better if you could wish for non unique monsters.I havent even seen a ki-rin yet.
One major problem in this game is that time it would take.Both real time and game time.The other being that the char will more often than not end up chatoic.What with having to kill inhabitants of Dwarftown n Teriyno.What bout the dwarven mistic.Does this mean that you have to kill the mistic and sacrifice the artifact or the scrools/potions.This also means going into places where you wouldnt normally go such as Scintillating cave,maze,stone circle.
Crimson when you make a lawful god angry its quite irritating.Those Solars are difficult.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

Emperor minotaur is posible to wish

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 at 21:50 (GMT -5)

hrmmm wishing for the minotaur emperor yields minotaur kings... wishing for emperor minotaur gets interpreted as wishing for minotaur emperor.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to wish for things in that challange... it's not mentioned anywhere wishing = bad

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day and 40 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2002 at 23:14 (GMT -5)

There was a Plutonium man VP on the newsgroup recently and no one seemed to mind that he wished for about 10 monsters...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 5 hours and 41 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2002 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Hey, just getting wishes is hard enough! It should be counted a victory, but I'd have more respect for someone who didn't wish for things.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 9 hours and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2002 at 03:07 (GMT -5)

is the carpenter wish-able? if so you could kill both a mad carpenter and a normal carpenter...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Iridia_
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2002 at 23:56 (GMT -5)

Nope. Nothing happens.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 18, 2002 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmm <Plutonium man VP on the newsgroup" Hmmmmm great killing list, but where is master thief of Lawenilothehl???? He was a only a member not a head of thiev guild???

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2002 at 15:49 (GMT -5) by BM]
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 18, 2002 at 10:31 (GMT -5)

Yeah I meant that wishing for monsters that can be generated is kinda no-no.

Locke Cole

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: