Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Jan

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7784 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

Whats the new score thingy youve put in?What is it?Is it worth downloading.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5670 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

i probably should, i have a score that needs deleting.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 14 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

It is what is says it is (in teh news entry)... You can load one or two score files, remove entries (of you want to) and save the result as a new score file (if you load two files the result is the 100 best from those two files).
I needed some (not to big) project to revive my Java programming skills, and someone on the NG asked if something like that existed, so I descided to write one.

Guess it depend on your definition of "worth downloading", it's only 24kB, but if you never need any of the features I guess it's not worth it...
It's a Java application so you'll need a JRE installed on your system to run it though.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 22:27 (GMT -5)

where do i go to get it?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 at 07:47 (GMT -5)

http://home.online.no/~jamydlan/downloads/ the link is in the news entry on the HoF too...

The "home page" is not much, but you'll find a download link there...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7784 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

Gee.It is worth downloading.I really need to delete some scores.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7658 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

hmmm... Jan, you really know how to program in Java? I'm surprised... (in a good way) :) have to try it out...

EDIT-->why don't you make a single .jar file?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2002 at 03:38 (GMT -5) by Stas]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

hey, there is a "bug": you can wipe out your sig by editing your msg... BTW, why does it read: "Edited [--] by Stas"... Cananybody else edit my msgs?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

the prog jams strangely when I select "Help|About"... the About-window just won't close!

Lord of The Rings

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

is the number before the name score?? viewer shows that my char, which actually scored ~2000 pts, actually scored -1358430208 points! hehe... bug fixes await you, Jan ;)))

Lord of The Rings

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2002 at 04:08 (GMT -5) by Stas]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

IIRC most routine functions you are using (like Decryptdata & Encryptdata), or atleast some bits of them, are already in JDK package as ready functions... of course I might be wrong, or you are using too old version (I'm using 1.4.0)

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

arg, i d/led it but i can't use it, and don't want to d/l anything else... my comps haveing problems...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

Stas: Whoa! where to begin...

I didn't make a .jar file to make it easier on the "newbies", maybe it would have been better to use one though. Once I get around to making a deacent readme file I'll probably stuff the class files into a jar too...

Anyone with moderator/administrator status can edit any message, in other words I can edit them. Hence the name in the edit notice.

If you don't want to remove your sig then don't remove it :) "That's not a bug it's a feature" (TM).

That "about window" won't close problem is wierd... I asume you don't have that problem with the "view window" since you didn't mention it, but they both use the exact same code:
public void windowClosing(WindowEvent event)
{
	if ( event.getWindow() == frm_main)
	{
		ExitApplication();
	}
	else
	{
		event.getWindow().setVisible(false);
	}
}
You sure you haven't been fiddeling around with the source or something? My version (0.0.2 beta) seem to be working just fine under Win 98 anyway...

Yeah the number before the name is the score. Did you try to toggle the big-endian/little-endian thing and load again? If you try to load a Amiga file using little-endian or a DOS, Linux file using big-endian you get that sort of results... As long as the settings are OK I don't seem to have any problems, and I have tested DOS, Amiga and Linux score files...

I do use a old JDK (1.2.2), but I don't think those particular functions can be found anywhere. AFAIK the "encryption" used is not a standard one. Thomas seems to have simply asigned a new value to all the characters (and we are not talking any basic ROT algorithm). If you can find any ready made function that works let me know though...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2002 at 11:03 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 02:48 (GMT -5)

I meant with all that 500 lines of code, where you converted vytes to characters... there *must* be a better way than just testing the byte & then converting it... althought I didn't had much time to look at the code, I'm in scholl (even right now ;)

BTW, why do you use so much Containers? wouldn't JPanel be easier?

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

Oh I'm sure there is a better way to conver it, finding the algorithm used would reduce it to one or two lines for example, I found it easier to just map the characters rather than tryign to figure out the pattern at the time...

Yeah JPanel would be a lot easier, but I wanted to stick to the basic AWT compoments to ensure maximum compatability (some unfortunate souls have a M$ made VM installed and IIRC it doesn't implement the javax.* packages so any swing components would not work for them).

I didn't want to force people to download a new JRE just for this little thing.

In a bigger project I would naturaly use the javax.swing.* stuff, but we are only talking 3 frames here so I didn't bother.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 00:48 (GMT -5)

well, I'm using javax.swing.* in my "great" project... anybody who have a M$ made VM, will have to download a jdk... heheee...

Lord of The Rings

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: