Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / ADOM map for Starcraft

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

FireNute
Registered user
THE ETERNAL FLAME

Last page view:

7994 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

If any of you have ever heard of Starcraft and have played it online, then you will know of all the madness' out today. Well to make a long story short Adam(Duke Ravage) was over and I was making a map and he said "name one of the creatures claw bug." I said "why dont I just make this a map wholly based on ADOM!" So I am currently in the progress of creating the map. It has all the basics(mass attacks, your choice of what creature to mass produce, heroes you can get by choice, adn upgrades to your mass produced units) and all the classic adom names. It even has a few new ideas incorporated in it as well. Look for it soon on BattleNet!

Know your friends well, know your enemies better.
-ragnof fre sendquvich
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5669 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

hmm... seems nobody cares... haha. sucks to be you. *g*

ivan.sourceforge.net
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7657 days, 15 hours, 48 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 at 01:45 (GMT -5)

now that was nice... yes, now everybody want to visit this forum, because ppl are so polite here...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Gordisimo
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

Starcraft is cool, madness is boring. Rpgs, now that's a diffrent story.

Now making an Adom open rpg map would be cool idea

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/24/2002 at 11:49 (GMT -5) by its author]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

How about a persistent ADOM world.

They could only allow one of each artifact. Imagine everybody battling for the orbs or having to work together to reach the gate. If more than one person enters the gate, after killing Andor, they would have to battle each other to become the Chaos God. Anybody who gets the crumpled scroll can resummon the Trident of the Red Rooster (stealing it from the present owner)

People could get a brand in the tomb of high kings, to be able to pass the guardian, and they could drink from a fountain in the tower, in order to be able to pass the flames (thus the existence of only one of each "key" artifact would not prevent people from exploring the rest of the dungeon)

Non guaranteed shops would periodically teleport to new locations. Walls would have to have the ability to regrow (so that gem miners cannot level an entire dungeon level)

If a unique NPC is killed, eventually, another creature of the same type takes its place (ie. the townsfolk elect somebody else to take Twyat Pere's place as sherif, or some Greater Moloch assumes the title of Emperor by virtue of its power)

Uniques would probably have to adjust in strength, depending on the number and power of people attacking them, and something would be needed to prevent the world from being overrun by SIs.

. . . and, of course, there is alwys the corruption radiation . ..

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 7/24/2002 at 18:00 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 1 hour, 18 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

A MUD based on ADOM? That sounds really interesting. I'd like to throw a few questions and observations into the mix.

The "regenerating NPCs" feature seems to work very well with some of them, but not so well with others. E.g. if you killed Yrrigs, perhaps the village eventually gets a new carpenter who also goes checking out the VD, but if you saved him, why would he go back in there? And if he doesn't go back in there, then only one person can prove their ability to show mercy by saving him.

You could run into similar problems with Khelavaster; one unspoiled newbie allowing him to die would bar everyone else from getting the Trident for all time, and as with Yrrigs, only one person can save him and get the reward. Maybe you could make him "non-unique"... imagine that there's a remote island of sages somewhere, and mostly they don't interact with the rest of the world, but every so often they decide that one of them must go and fight Chaos.

As you say, corruption could easily become a serious problem. When the original ADOM Role-Play thread was active, I thought that they'd either have to tone down corruption or increase the supply of SoCR, because what's plenty of SoCR for one person doesn't go very far when divided between a party of six. The reappearing NPCs feature would help a bit. If someone cleaned out the Bug Temple, would it eventually be reset, complete with the statue containing SoCR?

And what would be the effect of doing something that would end a game of ADOM?

• If you close the gate, I suppose Andor Drakon is still alive down there and can eventually create a new one.
  • If you become an ordinary Chaos God, somebody can come and kill you, just as happens in ADOM.
  • If you become a miserable and wretched chaos servant (killing Andor without wielding the Trident), ADOM says that a new Chaos God arises, so that's not a problem either. (That's a very obscure ending in ADOM, but in this multiplayer version, someone could summon the Trident out of your hands as you fought with Andor.)
  • Now, if you become an Avatar of Order or Balance, don't you keep the world safe from Chaos forever? I'm not clear on whether you're immortal, but only evil characters would want to kill you.
  • UCG is even worse - ADOM clearly states that you slaughter everyone in the world. How can the game continue after that?

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

I was not thinking of a text based MUD, but, rather, a graphical MUD ala Ultima on-line or everquest.

I could see Yrrigs (or the new carpenter, if Yrrigs has died) repeatedly going to the dungeon. Maybe he likes to explore, or perhaps there is some underground wood that only grows there. Same with Kenny.

Same with Khelevaster. If somebody saves him, once he recovers, he goes back to the dungeon to try to fight chaos again. If he dies, eventually some other sage comes to the area.

The evil dwarven smith could have apprentices.

You have the same ideas as I, with regards to basic endings. Ultimate endings would need to be tweaked -- they would no longer have world spanning effects. Perhaps ultimate winners would be able to create their own stronghold, and have a human avatar command it, or, we could make their godhood depend on the trident (so that when somebody else summons the trident, they lose their godhood)

Also, perhaps, if somebody has an owned artifact for too long, and they stay in one place for too long, the original owners (or their successors) periodically ambush them. Assasins for needle, evil dwarves for the crown of science, undead for nonnak and ring of the high king. Mummy's & jackal daemons for the ankh and ancient wrapping. etc.

Grues, elementals and specific defenders could continually try to recover the orbs, and if you don't keep the orbs on you, there is a good chance that they will be reclaimed. Thus, people can't avoid the chaos effects easily.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/25/2002 at 10:35 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, and we would have to change the demented ratling's appetites. Instead of swallowing them, he could take them to the smithy and strike them with a hammer, causing them to "explode" and return to there origins (RNG for non set items)

Also, there could be many Golden Gladiuses (although, giving one to the grizzled gladiator removes that one from the game) You would only have to beat a champion monster in the arena to get one.

We could keep track of the rank of PC gladiators. If you want to enter, after winning your 20th fight, you let the arena master know. When the next person gets matched to you, you get notified, where ever you are, and have the choice of accepting or not. If you accept, you get teleported to the arena (and back when the fight is over, after getting your reward) If you decline, it is the same as losing. I dunno how the ranking would work.

There could be a new artifact for the true champion PC of the arena, which changes hands whenever the champion title changes (If the present champion PC is beaten, or if s/he declines a challenge)

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/30/2002 at 10:31 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 1 hour, 18 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2002 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

Another thought - what would we do about the unidentified appearances of items? In ADOM, they are different every game, but in the persistent ADOM world, they'd probably have to be fixed. This might make it easier for new characters to identify their stuff - they could just ask an expert what a scroll labelled "Sutsi" was.

New characters could also benefit from advanced characters leaving their surplus stuff around - I find that my victorious characters tend to cart around vast amounts of junk they don't need. This might make up for the possible problem of items being randomly generated at the same rate as in single-player ADOM (?) but being shared between lots of people.

I can imagine that the old barbarian's glade and other safe places to store items would fill up with stuff. It would be useful to have some way to label the piles you left there, to indicate whether they were your personal stash or junk that you were happy for other PCs to take. Alternatively, there could be some way for PCs to get a private home in which to store their items, leaving the public areas for shared stuff.
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2002 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

Hmmm . . . well, as to identifying items, each player could have his/her own listing of descriptions. That might detract a little from the "realism" but it would add that you have to rediscover things when you restart.

If you leave things around, other people would be likely to pick them up. We could give equipment a "decay" rate, if it is just left lying around.

I think we would also have to remove the slot machine scumming. Thus people would have a greater need for gold, and would be more likely to sell stuff, rather than just leave it lying around.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/12/2002 at 09:14 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Verdagon
Registered user
Atharian Dragon

Last page view:

7580 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

I used to be a major mapmaker in starcraft... and I have a few ideas for the RPG.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IDEAS ARE ONLY FOR STARCRAFTERS AND
STARCRAFT MAPMAKERS. ALL OTHER PEOPLE WILL SUFFER EXTREME CONFUSION. 

In a lot of RPGs, towns either have moving characters OR ones that stand still and talk. There's a way to do both:
- Have a location centered on the PC, make sure theres preserve trigger. Now have a few waypoints for the townspeople, and when Townsperson gets to point A, he is ordered to go to point B. Once he gets to point B, have him move to point C... you get the idea. Well, when the townsperson enters the location that is centered on the PC, there's a bit of dialogue.

Have all the spells. Here's a way to do the bolt spells (and even make them homing)
- Have a location centered around the PC, about 11x11. Have another location that centers on all enemy units inside the 11x11 location. When the enemy is within the 11x11, then the other location will center on him. Then, have the character walk on a beacon to cast the spell, and an observer is created on top of the PC. Order it to the location where the enemy is. Have another location centered and following the observer, and have explosions following it. The result will be a line of homing explosions heading towards the enemy.

Another idea is to have herbology. Like there is a place where you have 2 SCVs/Probes/Drones whatever you want, and have crystals, powerups and such for them to carry. Have 2 beacons. 1 is the 'use' beacon, other is the 'drop' beacon. bring 2 scvs with different powerups (representing herbs and potions) onto the use beacon, and you get a brand new potion. bring one or two scvs to the 'drop' beacon, and they will cancel the experiment.

I am out of ideas. I'm sure I will remember some more soon.

"What is this 'brain' that you speak of? Where can I get one?"
"BoW, LeSsEr OnE!"
"You're still alive??!! But I paid them so much..."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/21/2003 at 21:12 (GMT -5) by Verdagon]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?