Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / RRP

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7658 days, 13 hours and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

RealRolePlay. Coded in JAVA. This doesn't have version number. Mainly to let people to look on the src -code.
You will need J2SDK 1.4.0 to run the program, download it from java.sun.com
Download, executable (& src in same package):
http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/RRP.jar

Plain src:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/RRPsrc.zip

The map is *small*, because I have 166 Mhz comp. Note that it is also 3-dimensional.
Pressing "Shift + <" (=">") on the "hills" will cause to smaller map appear. It has "U"-letter, which presents the Item. The item-code isn't ready yet. Anybody who wants to develop a very realistic (no exp, HPs, PPs etc) rogue-like using ASCII -graphics, are welcome in. If you feel interested, mail andordrakon@hotmail.com .

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

new challenge! Collect all silicon-covered spears in the game!

Nah, actually, just announced there is "somekind" of item system coded... the links are the same...

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 7 hours, 49 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

There is a bug on the smaller maps (the ones with the 'U' (at least there was in the first version)...

You where eable to move off the south and east side of the map (into the black area). Guess you used the same map size as the "big map" even though the visible part was much smaller...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

hm. that's true. I'll have to fix that...
but you must admit: changing commands during game-play is neat ;)))

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

Defenently user friendly :)

Personaly I rarely change keybindings, but that's another matter...

It's defenenly a bigger project that any Java programm I have ever worked on. My current project is a just basic Terminal emulator / MUD client (with ANSI color support). Only problem I have is that the StyledDocument/TextPane API's are MUCH to slow. I had to make a "hack" where I dumped unformated plain text to the display first and then just have the coloring "tag along" as best it can (a page worth of high color text take about 1 minute to render on my 366 Mhz comp while running nothing else (the bottlenect is the insert/update functions on the StyledDocument) )...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

hm. That's strange... are they TextPane or JTextPane components (normal or swing)? I'm using swing components, and I was just thinking about using HTMLDocument-class (learning usinjg it may take time, tough), and that sounds threatening...

Anyway, the links above are updated again. The bug is fixed. Introducing new item: silicon-covered armour ;))). Inventory is quite good, "heaping" works. I just have to make GameOption itemSorintgOrder (like: first armour, then weapons, then tools etc etc)... but that requires a lil' bit more coding, so it will take some time... but till then (for you all): examine the code and comment me about it! :) (the code itself isn't much commented, that's my only flaw as a programmer ;))

BTW, Jan, I just can't do this: "programm" with two 'm's :) like "immages", eh? ;) or was it just a typo? :)

Lord of The Rings

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 19:40 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I used a JTextPane, those swing components are SLOW (they are still in early developement though, they will be more preformance optimized in future versions). I used a rtf document rather than a HTMLdcument.

The good thing about the HTML document class is that you can build a HTML document off screen and put it all in at once, however that works poorly in my case seeng as I have a steady stream of text that have to be added to the bottom of the text. It's having to do a insertText call for every single piece of text that have a destinct style (color) that kill the performance.

Once you have built the screen a roguelike scould be much easier to get to run at a propper speed though because you only need to update the part of the "map" that's in your characters line of sight, or at least only the parts that change anyway (rather than having to call insertText 50 times per line if some joker on a MUD have a seperate color for every letter in his title or some such).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: