Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / On weapon proficiencies

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Balrog
Registered user

Last page view:

7475 days, 13 hours, 33 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

I'd like to know how people here handle their character's weapon proficiencies. That is, do you tend to specialize in one weapon, or many weapons? What about ranged weapons?

I used to try and go for ultra specialization in one melee weapon but quickly found that unless that weapon is swords or staves you might never find something worth using. My trolls always end up getting their main two-handed weapon blown to bits by some door or other, it's rather annoying. So I decided that with my new character I would have multiple weapons that I am proficient with, it seems to have paid off, I have lvl 9 proficiency with 2-handed weapons, lvl 8 proficiency with hammers, and I am working on maces (lvl 3 so far) so I can use Big Punch. And as a last resort I started throwing rocks (useful to take out kharmic whatevers and corrosive jellies).

So, what are your strategies?
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7352 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

I generally use the best weapon I find regardless, but may train in daggers some before I find needle and sting...

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5671 days, 14 hours, 52 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 21:54 (GMT -5)

same with me, i use whatever is best at the time. if i find myself with a lot of extra time (e.g. i'm not powerful enough to do the next quest yet, so i'm wandering about getting kills/xp) i'll pick something else and get myslef good with it.
my favorite character (only got the water orb, then starved) had 12 in swords, IIRC 8 in another, and 5 in all else.
as for missile weapons, unless i'm an archer (and sometimes if i'm a ranger) i basicly ignore them. if, on the other hand, i found Thunderstroke, or Sun's Aim, i would make liberal use.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7786 days, 51 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

Just very your weapons a bit.Once you get past the initial part of the game concentrate on one weapon.If you lose the weapon dont fret cos weapon skills can be gained easily in the advanced stage.Thats the strategy i follow.
See what it got me.Grand mastery.When you get GM playing becomes easier.
See the char 'Falk' no 7 on the hof list for v1.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7907 days, 10 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

I usually go polearm weapons. Only a *very* good non-polearm weapon wil change my choice. And I usually never have enough "free" time to train weapon skills as I mostly wanna spend as little time as possible before the need for an AoLS becomes priority nr.1. *Then* I can spend *tons* of time draining pools, looking for RoDS and so on. :) Had a spear of mayhem (3d8+11) today with a hurthling thief. Who died thanks to my temporary color blindness... Thought a white altar was grey, sacced an hill orc, pissed of the god who wiped out my entire equipment, and lookie, lookie! A werelord lord. How *not* approriate... RIP.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7786 days, 51 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

Yup pole arms rock.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5838 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 06, 2002 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

Pole arms are the key - early orcish spears then the rune-covered trident.

I always try to go for polearms however if a obviously better weapon presents itself i'd use that... seldom do i use whips for anything but fun *wink* (: Staves are just too lacking in DV early on because of the lack of the shield. (although i am a fan of Rolf's Companion even if many are not)

I try and keep bows and unarmed combat upto about 4 or something for emergencies.

Generally if i goto the gremlin cave i'd train as many weapon skills as i can with the weapons i'm carrying to about level 3.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7771 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

Me return..... Hmmmmmm yeap pole arms, and daggers. Sometimes two handed weapon (only if my PC are not a caster). And I use then ethernium two handed sword/emperor minotaur axe (very good critical score roolz). And bows always bows. And shields but only I practiced 10\11 level skill.

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7193 days, 10 hours, 1 minute and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 at 02:43 (GMT -5)

If i'm a wizard I train daggers, until I'll be able to wish for phase daggers.
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
??
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

How can i wish or get wishes???
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7717 days, 23 hours, 58 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

I personally like whips, as they are one handed and they give a great DV Bonus AND to-hit bonus, though I only really try to train the whips skill up if I find a whip of slaughtering (I've only once found a whip of the snake), or get a wish to obtain one. Otherwise, I'll use whatever happens to the best weapon at the time.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6977 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

How any of you manage to train daggers? Once I tried to dual-wield daggers since the beginning of the game, but they didn't deal enough damage. When I was around 12 exp lvl and started to fight some heavy-armoured enemies (clay, flesh, stone golems, trolls, etc) "you do not manage to hurt him" message was VERY common. It was a bit better when Khelly "borrowed" me an eternium dagger, but still not enough damage while high to-hit bonus. I hoped to find emerald dagger (got it once, kick-ass weapon), but no luck, and it was too early for phase daggers.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7193 days, 10 hours, 1 minute and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

Just kcik every monsters ass with the dagger :) It'd worked
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

6086 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 03:36 (GMT -5)

the right hand wield a dagger and the left one some other (not heavy, no more 50s) weapon.
I like spears most of other weapon. dual wielded spears while in berserk or spear and shield in other ways.
but when i'm plaing a non caster char i try to prac all types of weapons.

differently yours
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 11 hours and 33 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 19:04 (GMT -5)

I like spears too... before the pre/suffixes, I'd specialize in daggers (for phase daggers, etc.) but now that you can get *foo* of penetration, polearms are the best choice.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: