Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Any other Christians?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

7838 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 01, 2002 at 21:18 (GMT -5)

You are right about judging. My problem is with the hypocrites... It might be just me, but I try to continually change; getting rid of the "customary" sins (the ones a person does out of habit), and trying to learn of any "unconscious" sins (those that a person doesn't even know are wrong).

And sin is still sin, regardless of form.

My signature is umop apisdn.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

5 days and 42 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

Well at least we all seem to agree that religion and politics schouldn't mix...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4705 days, 4 hours, 9 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Darkwolf:
I guess the danger I see is that if somebody calls another a hypocrite about something, I think the person is implying that they themself are not hypocritical in that area. With regard to sinning, this would entail that the person is without sin (to blame anotherwithout being hypocritical, one would have to be blameless, IMHO)

Alternatively, The person calling others hypocritical may be claiming that the other people are greater sinners than they. That seems to me that the person is judging which sins are worse than others. That is a role, I believe should be left to God. Trying to usurp God's role, IMHO, is a great sin.

On an aside, a person should be careful that they are not trying to cover up their own sins (from themself, God or other people) when they point fingers at others.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/2/2002 at 14:32 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 02, 2002 at 23:20 (GMT -5)

Caladriel : You are right. Lemme try to rephrase myself... Those who make no effort to improve. A little better?

Btw- does it seem as if these threads have been whittled down to just a few people? *blankish look* *echoing in the distance*

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

DW: I see from where you are coming, and can understand it. The trouble is that I cannot bring myself to say "I am better than them" in terms of morality (there are some extreme exceptions) even when I know I may feel it on some lower level.

Whom am I to judge if somebody else is trying to improve themselves in the minor situations I encounter directly? Whom am I to claim that I truly try to improve on all the faults that fulfill my desires. I like to think that I do so (on the whole) and I take pride in that, but I am not so sure of myself that I can judge another as less worthy. This is particularly so, seeing as I have such an easy life relative to so many others; I have not walked in their shoes.

The perception that Christians are judgmental is one of the things that drives so many from it. I do not want to be responsible for driving people away from God.
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

I concede to your point. Very well stated. ^_^

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 at 20:22 (GMT -5)

Re: few people in these threads:

IMHO these threads are starting to become to "technical" for the non-religious people to follow... Non religious people might be happy to join debates where they can point out all the contraditions, descrepencies and generaly impossible things religious people believe in, however when you start to debate the degree of sins or meaning of a cryptical bible verse we tend to fall off the wagon pretty fast :)

All I have to say is like Caladriel pointed out, before you "judge" other religions or cultues consider how your beliefs and morals wold have been today if you had been born and raised into such a religion or culture. Can you honestly say you would have had the same standards? If not, how can you then know for sure than what you believe in now is any more "right" than what you would have believed in had you been born somewhere else or raised differently?

That beeng said I'll be the first to admit that it's very easy to judge others. I'm not claiming any kind of superiority, just pointing out that beeng judgemental is practialy hard wired into our brains. The best we can do is to think twise before we act on such "judgements".

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

Jan: Had I been raised elsewhere, I like to think that I would have at least one of the basic foundations of my morals -- Love thy neighbor as thyself -- and I hope that I would have developed the primary foundation -- Love God above all. By my belief in a soul, I think that those two are ingrained in all of us.

The only evidence I have that I would have broken away (if necessary) from any teachings contrary to those two axioms is that, although I was raised to believe homosexuality is evil and I simply accepted such most of my life, when I started thinking about my morals, I found that such a belief was not supported by those two main tenets

I will admit that that is pretty much the only major rupture with my upbringing. Still, it was very strongly taught, both culturally and domestically, and I did reject it on my own (before I even met people who were gay)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/4/2002 at 14:57 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

Jan: Re: Too Technical
Did I make any sense in my shpeal (sp?) about a possible way to think of a Being that is not bounded by time? The post referenced flatland.

I have many ideas about time and God, derived from that, but I have never been able to describe the paradigm adequately. (I could break this into another thread, if you are interested)
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2002 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

Actualy the "to technical" part was more relating to some of DarkWolf's more lengthy posts in the other threads... Actualy I suppose "internal" would have been a better word, in the sense that it requires a great deal of knowledge about the bible to make any kind of adequate response...

I've never read flatland, though I have seen simmilar "models" beeng used to explain other dimetions (such as time) and our perception (or lack thereof) of these... Though if I where 2 dimentional wouldn't ANY shape look the same? I mean if you look at a 2d drawing from the "outside" you can see the difference between a circle and a person, but if you look along the page as the 2d person on the page would then all he would see is a line (the "side" of the circle") wouldn't he? Or amy I misunderstanding the "mechanics" of this 2D world?

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2002 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

:) If you wanna talk Flatland, I can talk Flatland...

Yep, anything in Flatland would look like either a point or a line. The author of the book gets out of this by saying that there's a mist that covers Flatland, and inhabitants can tell a shape by the speed with which a shape's sides fade into the mist. It's a little like our distance perception.

FYI, in any number of dimensions, the viewpoint of its inhabitants is one dimension less than there are; in Flatland, it's one dimension; for us, it's two dimensions... and so on.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 06, 2002 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

I'll pull flatland to another thread.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: