Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Effects of skills

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5763 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

I was just wondering if there were any spoilers about the precise effects of skills on the game. (I.e. something that goes through all the skills and for each one, says what activities this skill helps with.) Here are my notes and speculations about skills. I know this is a very long post, but there are a lot of skills. I'm particularly interested in information about the Appraising and Smithing skills.

Alchemy
-------
You gain one recipe for every ten points in this skill. Alchemy using a known recipe will always succeed, and alchemy not using a known recipe will always fail, but the skill _may_ affect your chances of mixing a blessed potion.

Alertness
---------
Improves your chances of:

• Evading spells cast at you
  • Detecting an invisible monster ("You notice some motions in the air in your vicinity")
  • Discovering a trap (e.g. "You discover an acid trap, hidden at this place!")
  • Avoiding the effects of a trap (e.g. "Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! You barely avoid it.")

Appraising
----------
Presumably, the higher your Appraising skill, the more often you get feelings about items. There's a lot I'd like to know about this skill. If you carried an unidentified item around for a very long time, would it eventually be evaluated however low your skill was? Or does it work like Detect Item Status, where you have one chance to evaluate each item and that's it? And do characters with low Appraising skill ever evaluate an item wrongly, or do they simply evaluate fewer items?

What exactly do the evaluations signify? IIRC, my character evaluated a cursed wand of knocking (4 charges) as mediocre - are wands of knocking always evaluated as mediocre, or were its cursed status and number of charges factored in?

Archery
-------
Described in detail in the manual - basically, it grants bonuses when using missile weapons.

Athletics
---------
As described in the manual, helps train your physical stats. (Although, I think it works even when they're high - my Dwarven Weaponsmith had his strength go up from 21 to 22 for no apparent reason.)

Backstabbing
------------
Increases your chance of "stabbing" or "splattering" a peaceful monster or one who hasn't noticed you. When this happens, do you do extra damage, or are you more likely to score a critical hit?

Bridge Building
---------------
Increases your chance of successfully creating a bridge section from a log (and reduces the time taken to do so?). Does it speed up the process of cutting trees down?

Climbing
--------
Increases your chance of climbing out of a pit, and must be at 100 to enter the Rift. Does _not_ speed up mountaineering (according to the Guidebook).

Concentration
-------------
Speeds up pp regeneration (see the Guidebook for details) and helps with learning spells. (Any other effects? E.g. Weaponsmiths start with this skill - does it help with smithing?)

Cooking
-------
Increases your chance of successfully cooking food. (Any effect on the blessed/uncursed/cursed status of the cooked food?)

Courage
-------
Reduces the penalties for fighting multiple monsters. (Is this effect random or constant?)

Detect Item Status
------------------
Increases your chance of detecting the b/u/c status of unknown items.

Detect Traps
------------
Increases your chance of finding traps, when you search or when you explicitly use the skill.

Disarm Traps
------------
Presumably helps with disarming traps. (Has anyone any experience of this skill? Are some traps easier to disarm than others? Are any types of trap impossible to disarm?)

Dodge
-----
Increases your DV (see the manual), and also helps with evading spells and missiles (or is this covered by the DV increase)?

Find Weakness
-------------
Increases your chance of scoring a critical hit ("with full force").

First Aid
---------
Increases your chance of successfully taking care of your wounds. May also improve the amount by which blood loss is reduced and the number of hit points regained by a successful application. Does it have any effect on using bandages without catching an infection?

Fletchery
---------
Presumably increases your chance of successfully creating new missiles and the number of new missiles you create.

Food preservation
-----------------
Helps prevent corpses carried by you from decomposing, and makes it more likely that monsters you kill will leave corpses.

Gardening
---------
Increases your chance of successfully planting seeds. Does it help with pouring holy water on the ground to produce a new herb bush? Does this trick ever work with uncursed water?

Gemology
--------
Increases the chance of gems being generated when rock is dug out (either by you or a monster). Also helps with identifying gems automatically.

Haggling
--------
Increases your chance of haggling successfully.

Healing
-------
Speeds up hp regeneration (see the Guidebook for details). May also speed up recovery from bleeding, sickness and poison.

Herbalism
---------
Improves your chances of the following:

• Successfully identifying a herb bush
  • Picking a herb without weakening the bush
  • Picking a blessed or uncursed herb
  • Picking a good type of herb (e.g. stomafillia rather than stomacemptia)?

Law
---
Increases your chance of being informed when you commit a chaotic or lawful act. _May_ also increase the alignment changes from lawful or
chaotic acts.

Listening
---------
Increases your chance of hearing sounds on the current dungeon level.

Literacy
--------
Helps with reading tombstones and spellbooks. (I think that if you "don't manage to decipher the contents" of a spellbook, you failed a Literacy check, while other problems with spellbooks are caused by other factors.) Probably also affects your chances of writing scrolls. Fortune cookies and scrolls can always be read successfully but will still train Literacy.

Metallurgy
----------
Increases your chance of automatically identifying metal ore and ingots, and affects your chances of smithing successfully. Can also be used actively to determine what identified items are made from. It seems that if your skill is below a certain threshold (70?) you can only tell that they are made from metal or something other than metal, but above this threshold, you can reliably tell just what type of metal they are made from.

Mining
------
Speeds up the process of digging through rock with a pickaxe, and reduces the chance that it will break.

Music
-----
Increases your chance of successfully playing a musical instrument, and of taming or pacifying monsters when you do.

Necromancy
----------
(Could an experienced Necromancer please help here?) Possibly affects your chances of successfully animating an undead slave, the power of the slave, or the amount of Mana you lose animating it?

Pick Locks
----------
Presumably improves your chance of picking a lock with thieves' picks, and possibly of not springing any traps when doing so.

Pick Pockets
------------
Increases your chance of successfully pickpocketing. Does it also improve the probability that you'll actually find something, or the quality of the items found?

Smithing
--------
Probably increases your chance of improving items by smithing them, and maybe speeds up the process too. (I'd guess that improvement could consist of removing rust, repairing broken items, or boosting
the DV and PV of armour and the to-hit and damage values of a weapon.) Perhaps someone who's actually used this skill could help? I'd like to try it myself, but although I recently took a Dwarven Weaponsmith through the UD, I didn't find any forges there.

Stealth
-------
Increases the chance that monsters won't notice you, which may help with stealing from shops while invisible.

Survival
--------
Increases the chance of finding food when applying the Survival skill. Does it also speed up travel through the wilderness, or reduce the time taken to use the skill?

Swimming
--------
Reduces the chance of drowning when crossing water. Possibly also speeds up movement through water (e.g. in the water dragon's lair).

Tactics
-------
Increases modifiers from changing tactics.

Two Weapon Combat
-----------------
Helps fighting with two weapons (see the manual for details).

Ventriloquism
-------------
Increases your chance of successfully confusing a monster by Ventriloquism, and possibly the time for which it remains confused.

Woodcraft
------

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/19/2002 at 08:41 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5828 days, 7 hours, 11 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

Well it's pretty precise in the manual...

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: