Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / so many questios...newbie here

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

ana
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

I keep dying!!! I am SO FUSTRATED!! tHE HIGHEST LEVEL I CAN GET TO IS LEVEL4!

questions:
1) Where is that damnable dog?
2) How do you kill bears?
3) I have upgraded my swimming skills to good, but i still drown! What's up with that???!!!
4) How do you know what a potion or scroll does before you drink/read it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
anamri
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

The dog (I asume you mean the cute puppy aka Kenny (die a lot)) is on level 7 of the "dangerous cave" (it's located along the path you came when you started the game).

Forget about the dog for now though, the cave realy is dangerous, and the quest have a time limit to boot. It's meant as a challange not a newbie quest (besides the only reward is a lawfull boost and 5000 extra points (I think) on your final score IF you win the game).

You kill bears by hitting them hard :) If you are low level I would suggest to simply run away though (that is good for a lot of buff things realy), or alternatively attack them from a distance with missiles or spells.

The swimming skill makes you take less dammage when you drown and make it less likely than you drown. However you have to boost it to close to 100 before swimming is completely safe. Just swim as little as possible (even if you have 100 swimming your equipment will still rust and such if you spend to much time playing in the water).

You have to identify the stuff before you know what it is. Scrolls of identify are pretty common (though they are naturaly also un-identified when you first find them)... Some tricks include:

Check out any shops you come across. Shops always (with one exception) have identified goods (and will also identify stuff you sell to them (this not imedeately though)). Once you have seen a identified version of a item you will recognice it later on too (with the exception of weapons and armor and such because they all have different stats (more or less).

Scrolls of identify are quite common, so after a while just try to read one of the scrolls you have the most off, that usualy works, but it's not foolproof.

There is also a quest a bit later on that will result in you getting all your (current) stuff identified (if you already have the Literacy skill).

P.S. Oh and don't hang around in the SMC cave (north west of town), the danger level there increase exponentialy with the level of your character, so by level 5 it's quite deadly. Go to the infinete dungeon instead and go back and forth between level 1-3 or so untill you have gotten some experience.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/18/2002 at 17:46 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
ana
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 at 21:05 (GMT -5)

Jan, thank you so much for the help!!!!
One thing though... where's the infinite dungeon?
Yes, that's how new I am, I don't even know where the easy part is! lol

anamri
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Anamri, the Infinite Dungeon is in the southeast corner of the screen. When you enter it, ADOM will say "These caverns almost seem to be endless." Don't leave anything there you want to keep - you'll never get it back.

By the way, what class and race are you playing? Some combinations are much harder than others. I'd recommend either Trollish Healer (good fighter with superb healing rate) or Drakeling Wizard (good spellcaster with some useful skills).

If you manage to save the dog, the tiny girl will give you a few bits of candy. However, even if it's gnomish candy (and I don't know whether it is), it still isn't worth the risk. As Jan says, just forget about the dog until you're a bit stronger, then when you're ready you can bring its dead body back to the girl.

One more tip about quests - you can get a quest from the elder, or the druid, but not both. The elder's quest is much easier.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

Oh and don't be to upset about dying, I have played this game for years and I still keep dying a lot on the early stages (the later stages too for that matter)...

Because of the random nature of the game it's hard to guarantee anyting. If you have rotten luck you can get killed by a trap after taking one step in the first dungeon...

Beeng paranoid and carefull realy help though, unfortunately that is not a skill I have mastered myself (I keep getting wierd ideas like "I bet I can take on that shopkeeper now, I'm level 10 after all..." and such).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
ana
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

thank you so much guys. i finally got to level 6 with my gray elf fighter... then died of hunger trying to get back to buy food.lol
i know i'm probably asking the wrong forum, but how can you cheat & play a game you saved then died in?
I've read you call it scumming(so you all must look down on it), but I really only care about seeing everything. so please don't annihilate me.lol
besides, if i keep on dying like this i think i will go insane!!!!lol- oops, i mean ooohahahaaaaa(crazy laghter)
some unknown user
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

well, you copy the save file into another folder, and copy it back later after dieing. (you do it while you're not playing the game, meaning, you're not in the game)
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

I can't help you to savescum because I've never tried myself. However, if you're having problems with food, try something with the Food Preservation skill. (Humans, Drakelings, Hurthlings and Trolls all have this skill.) Do you know that corpses are edible, although some have bad effects (e.g. don't eat kobolds)?
Statik
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 21:35 (GMT -5)

also for the food thing, try t be born on the day of the falcon, it gives you the survival skill(you can get food in wilderness, really good for trolls ;) )
ana
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

Thanks all! I usually don't die from hunger, just that once - of course it HAD to be the highest i've ever gotten before! lol

i'll definetly do the copy save file thing, though - thanks!
annamarie
Portrait
rhino69
Registered user
go forth & see all

Last page view:

7688 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

how it going staying alive longer,if you use your missile weapons you can save time/yourself by finding out if monster nuetral or hostile i'm stuck over river found places but dont know whats next

We all die but few die with honour

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: