Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Perceptions of Time/Space

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4669 days, 17 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

In Religion and all that Jazz, Luke wrote:

Perception of Time/Space talks about dimensions at one point, it would be interesting though to hear some peoples idea of reality.
Dimensions are defined through humans since they are the only beings we know that have sufficient reasoning. The 3 dimensions that define shapes though is more relative to those who can visualise, so if the whole human race was blind would these dimensions still exist?
The point I'm raising is that dimensions are either real without humans or invented by humans.
I believe in a way time is something that humans have invented as they're aware of routines and re-occuring events. But does it really exist? It seems just a convinient factor to order events by, if no events happened and everything was still, would time still be a concept?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Luke: I'm certain you don't need sight for dimensions to exist. A blind man can still feel the depth and height of objects. He can hear echoes and difference in distance. I do not think you even need sentience. Cats can certainly tell size, depth, etc. Apparently, Owls and dolphins (bats to, probably) can form images in their mind from sound.

If somebody did not have any senses -- sight, hearing, smell, or touch (dunno if taste would have any impact) -- then I guess dimensions would not really have any meaning for them, and they wouldn't define things by physical dimensions. They would probably be aware of the passage of time, though (They would feel hungry, and then they would not, thus establishing 'after' and 'before')

In any case, IMHO, just because they were not aware of the physical dimensions does not mean that the physical dimensions do not exist.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

Getting philosophical are we?

The world stays the same wether or not we are eable to percieve it...

If NOTHING happened then time wouldn't exist, but then neither would matter as we know it because if the atoms stop moving it would have the same effect as freezing someting down to the ABSOLUTE ZERO. When atoms stop moving and vibrating they loose theyr properties and meld into some big quantum "blob" (or whatever, it's a distinctive new state (as in plasma -> gas -> liquid -> solid -> "super atom blob thingy"), it have a propper name I just can't remember it)... Aaaniway as long as events CAN take place time would exits, and a physical universe can't exist without time (no time no movement and EVERYING is this universe is made up of moving parts or parts in motion (quarks, atoms, electrons, photons etc. etc.))...

You can have points in the universe where time have no meaning though like in the center of black holes... Atoms get "squezed" so hard from every direction that they stop moving and the laws of (regular) physics break down, there is no movement, no time (though theyr mass still affect the "outside" universe)...

At least that is my understanding of things, It's been a while since I read those sience magazines ;)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 11/22/2002 at 11:55 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2002 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

iridia, if we have the power to choose, what determines our choices we make? our enviroment(society, your culture, ect) and our genes. what determines our genes/environment? the genes/environment of those before us. so if you go back to the first man weather its creation or evolution, if its evolution go back to the first form of life that we originated from. god created it from pretty much nothing, so he had to program every aspect of the creature because where else would anything come from? same with the environment that creature was placed in (earth). so in the long run god really choose everything that has ever happened with the human race, because he is omniscient so when he is programming that first creature he sees what each "code" of programming will do 5000, 100,000 or 2 million years from then.
Beth
Registered user
Princess

Last page view:

7650 days, 11 hours, 46 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 at 20:19 (GMT -5)

From C's stupid story their universe started by a single huge, more huge than you can imagine sun that blew up.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

Calvin: I'm going to move this to Religion and all that Jazz since it deals more with Religous beliefs than with perceptions of existence.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: