Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New Challenge Game

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

Okay, here's the challenge. It does require some "cheating"--but it makes the game harder, not easier.

Using the item duplication bug and copying a level, start a character out with about 200-300 cursed potions of any attribute. Complete the game while that stat stays at 1. If it's increased, the char must drink a cursed potion the very next turn.

Is this possible? (And not just with Appearance and Charisma...)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6977 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 00:52 (GMT -5)

That is hardly impossible: char with 1 strenght can have some problems with taking those potions with him :).

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 01:51 (GMT -5)

Strength isn't too impossible, really. Think: Character starts with potion of invisibility; there's a girdle of carrying in holeinthewall. That's not an uncommon situation. And even then, you wouldn't have to carry ALL the potions... just enough to keep the stat at one. Keeping your inventory to 100s has been done... a potion weighs only 1s or so... and you wouldn't have to carry 100 of them. A wizard could probably do it.... especially after Strength of Atlas.

I think it could be done. :) Of course, I haven't won a non-challenge game yet so I'm really not one to talk!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

A potion weighs 2s or 4s, and according to the Guidebook all the potions of <stat> weigh 4s. What's the carrying capacity of a character with Strength 1 and no items of carrying or Strength of Atlas? Also, wouldn't a character with Strength 1 be completely hopeless in melee combat?

Toughness 1 might be even worse, because you'd be stuck with insanely low hit points for the entire game. I assume stat-boosting items are absolutely forbidden in this challenge.

Another possible trouble with keeping St or To at 1 would be that you could be instakilled by an undead creature's stat drain attack.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 12:02 (GMT -5)

It's still possible.

I once had a wizard who was using a ring of weakness to gain strength via a vault of giants. Suddenly it took me forever to kill a giant, at which point I discovered that I should've removed the ring first. It was a close call but this wizard (around level 35 or so) managed to kill a couple of giants with STR=2.

A hurthling elementalist with a STR of 1 had a carrying capacity of 640s. Small, but manageable.

Yep, you'd get killed instantly by stat drain. So kill the creature before it kills you. ;)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: