Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How do I....

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1655 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

How do I get crowned (or whatever it's called?) I sacrafice TONS of money (over 20k in one instance) and my god likes me but I can't figure out how to get all of those nifty trinkets that he/she drops for me.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 47 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

20000 gp is not that much - IIRC it takes about 120k gp to get Extremly Close to your god. To get crowned you must be L+ N= or C-, be extremly close and pray (it will not count as asking for a divine intervention in the stats).
The easyest way to archiwe this is to find a random altar and sacc monsters: chaotics can sacrifice all, lawfulls cannot sac lawfulls (that is not a problem), and nautrals cannot sac neutrals - bummer, all animals are neutral, ratlings too. If you get lucky and an altar is generated on PC:5, the big room in the D, or in the high king's dungeon it take only a few minutes to get extremly close.
To get precrowned (it means - you get an artefact for free, and you can chage you angiliment without the "fallen champion" thingy) you must be at least lvl 8+ (the number of artefacts generated*3) and your angiliment must be diffrent than L+,N=,C-. I usually go for 2 precrownings (after i reach lvl 11), and get myself crowned in the late game (like after i kill the cat lord/get his ring), but an early crowning can make the game really easy if you are lucky
Crowning= artefact [one of 5 for your class], immunity [one of 4] and a permanent blessing (like from the Bless spell) but you mussn't change your diety or you will fall (it takes a lot of your score, all gods will dispise you, and ofc. the got that crowned you will get furios - prepare youself for Solars, blasting, dooming&cursing .
Precrowning= random artefact.
Postcrowning= precrowning after you get crowned - never tried that.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

6079 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

You should try it... Postcrowning is cool.. a load of artifacts for some gold (or monsters) spare..

differently yours
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6969 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

Got precrowned only once in about 2 years of adoming. Crown of leadership was nice. A pity that the stupid god gave me Whirlwind as a crowning gift :( And I was NOT hurthling archer.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 23:20 (GMT -5)

what is the line that it says? All I get is inner peace.

Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

try sacrificing monsters untill you will get a massage about extrimely close standing

differently yours
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

after inner peace it take lots of monsters ( gold/items too, but in early/mid-game you don't have that much stuff) to get to Very Close, and even more to get Extremly close. Then you can pray.
Guinea: Only once?! I got precrowned so much times, that i can't remember the number (about 50-60 times) - once i got 3 precrownings! Soaker ,Ring of immunity and Death's final touch also known as the emerald dagger. But that char was killed by a gorgon (i usually mistake these with other Fs).
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

And i never tried postcrowning, because i don't get crowned till the late game (when i get past the Graveyards, and kill the multi-headed chaos dragon - that guy is tasty)
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/20/2002 at 08:39 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6969 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

Yes, only one precrowning per a 1000 characters (or maybe more :-) ). Usually I have 1 of 3 problems:
1) I don't find an altar in early game.
2) If I find an altar, I don't have enough money/monsters to sacc.
3) If I decide to wander around the level and wait till the generated monsters will get me to extremely close, I get killed. (when I tried precrowning with dwarven healer a few days ago, a lightning lizard came and electrocuted me :) )

Ahhh... Emerald dagger - my favourite artifact. I had it once, and I can't wait to get it once more :-).

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

I had the emerald dagger once. It appeared as a random artifact a while ago. I killed a named assassin and got it.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

I've found only 3 random artefacts in my career as an ADOMer. Wierd isn't it? But lots of greater vaults :D
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

the exact opposite for me.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

Because of your help, my weoponsmith FINALLY got crowned. I got the shield "protector"

Thank you for all of your help and remember that laughter is the best medicine.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

Bummer... IMHO it's one of the worst artefacts out there

Spoiler

Bracers of War
Hammer of the Gods
Perion's Plate Mail
Protector
Ring of Immunity
Skullcrusher
these are the artefacts a Weaponsmith can get - as you see - you got the worst one :/

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Ironically, I had an eternium shield that was almost the same. Other than the toughness, It wasn't much of a change. Blessed status is cool. I can take on anything. I even got a pickaxe called "hammerhead" and I'm on my way to the pyramids

Ummagumma
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

The Protector is the worst of those six? Absolute hogwash. It's a neat shield, and most definitely better than the pesky Hammer of the Gods and to lesser degree, Perion's Mithril Plate Mail.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7710 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

I must agree with Ummagumma concerning the value of "Protector". Best shield in the game. Gives a small toughness bonus, but gives the really nice resistance to confusion (handy on the Graveyard level of CoC and against those pesky Doppelgangers). Not quite as nice as the Bracers of War, but, then again, what is as far as armor type artifacts go?
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

As I said, other than the toughness boost, it was the same as the eternium shield that I had (I drink the pool water. Check my other posts.)

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

IMHO shields are generally useless. The fact that you cannot use the strongest weapons in the game with them makes them not worthy of using. [+20, +4]? You can smith a large eternium shield way over that - were talkin' weaponsmith here.
Hammer of gods - (+1, 7d6+8) is bad? Killed the summoner with it (the lightning immunity saved my butt in there).

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

I only use shields until I have found a sufficiant two-handed weapon (I favor staves due to the huge DV boost.) I have yet to get a two- handed artifact.

Ummagumma
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

Yes, Hammer of the Gods is bad. Very much so. Master Summoner's a wuss.

It is very much arguable if the best 2H-weapons are the best weapons in the game. In my opinion, the most important thing is to do enough damage you can pass any monsters PV. After that, I just want to protect myself.
Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

And what about chance to hit ?

differently yours
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

Oddly enough, while I look for DV as well as +to-hit in the game, In real life, I can't dodge stuff very well (because of my vision) and am built like a tank (300+ lbs.) My fighting style is pure strength (two years Tae-Kwon-Do and a year of cane defense) and I don't hit my mark too often (also because of my vision.) I am, however, very proficiant with a bow and arrow (I have a monoculer. Think binoculars only smaller and for one eye) and, to a lesser extent, firearms.

Is it me or does ADOM favor DV and +to-hit over PV and +to-damage?

SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7710 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

I think DV is favored in ADOM over PV. This is due to my experience that it is *ALOT* easier to increase DV (I routinly get higher level characters with 100+ DV, while rarely get PV over 50). Also it seems with so many beasties that will damage your armor (and drop your PV), or just bypass your PV altogether, it's better in the long run to increase DV so you rarley get hit instead of wasting time trying keep armor in good shape or keep switching whatever armor you want to use at which time. This is, of course, just my most humble conjecture on the subject.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3600 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

About crowning, I sacced a lot of money in Dwarftown and I got very close message. Now guess what: I was fighting a greater moloch and I needed some support from my god. I prayed and I got crowned but meantime the big idiot decreased my hp from 200 to 84. But I managed to kill him. Now, you must be very carefull with you god because precrownin\crowning\postcrowning can kill you.But the moloch didn't to much because my dv was about 137 and pv of 57 (in coward tactics)

For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: