Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / ADOM in 3-D??

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1657 days, 21 hours, 41 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

I wish a game of ADOM's caliber would have been released for a top down RPG (Final Fantasy 3 (or 6)) I don't want a dippy 3-d version mainly because I can't see in 3-d, but also because of the fact that most software companies concentrate on graphics over gameplay (Morrowind & Diablo.) What do you guys think? Should the software companies have looked at rougelikes more closely? Sir-Tech was the only company that pulled it off relatively well (until Wizardry 6 IMHO.)

RKade

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

By top down 3D, I think you mean Isometric.

For games that are of ADOM caliber (IMHO) I would recommend Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and any of the Ultimas (They moved to Isometric at Ultima VI)
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

Those games aren't ADOM caliber (Niether is Wizardry now that I think about it.)

An ADOM caliber game has tons of races and classes, is hard as hell, and can be picked up and played by anyone with half a brain. No corporate software companies game has gotten there yet. Baldur's Gate and Ultima were somewhat difficult. They were also easy to understand. The problem with them is that they don't have the sheer numbers as ADOM does. Wizardry had the numbers but not the difficulty. You can map out the maps. Nothing changes.

That's what I mean when I say ADOM caliber.

(the message was MUCH longer but it got deleted somehow. I pushed send and it cleared my message. {sob} Darn.)

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 at 19:11 (GMT -5)

Baldur's Gate II has an impressive number of Races and Character classes. It has _many_ more spells and quests than ADOM. I admit that the maps are always the same, but the sheer number of maps in Baldur's gate 2 is mind boggling. I do think ADOM is a better game, but Baldur's Gate II is a close 2nd, in terms of variety, storyline, size and replayability.

I agree that ADOM is better than the ultimas, and the Ultimas lack ADOM's replay value (up to VI, which I have played) Still, I think they are good enough to be recommended to ADOM players.

I never played Wizardry, I'm afraid.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

What is usualy missing from most games is the ability to work "out of the box"...

Most other games only let you use each item type for one thing. In ADOM you can for example throw anything and most things have an effect (especialy potions and some gems). You can also use torces both for light and as a (missile) weapon against fire weak monsters (or anything for that matter).

The variaty is also great. In most other games (wiht a couple of exceptions like Diablo) most items are just the same, if you have seen one "short sword" you have seen them all. In ADOM a lot of the items are worth identifying just in case because you might find a realy good one, especialy now with the pre- and postfixes. Same with the dungeon levels naturaly, and also the monsters themselves... One goblin is not nessesarily quite as strong as the previous one (especialy now that they can use some eq).

Some ultima games do have a fairly advanced "utility" level (you can bake bread, make arrows harvest honney etc.), but they still suffer from the same old "been there done that" feel the second time you play them...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

One of my faborite things with ADOM is the difficulty. It's hard in a unique way

*you can't restore a dead char.

*the monsters (most of the time) level up with you.

*random dungeons (most of the time)

*Most quests can be done anytime

These are a few of the things that make ADOM great. I don't know of ANY other games that have these qualities.

Wizardry was more like Angband than ADOM. 1st person view in the dungeons and no random dungeons.

BTW What happened last night? I couldn't get on the forum

felos
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:03 (GMT -5)

I'm creating ADOM in the world of Neverwinter nights, it has needs at least a TNT2 graphics card though,..if anybody like to help, just contact me at feilox@yahoo.com
Neverwinter Nights like like Baldur's Gate, but you can make your own maps, and storyboard.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

Have you ever tried Dink Smallwood? It's like zelda but you can make your own maps and storyboard. I don't know the site though. Actually, if you get Zelda for the PC......
It's at http://www.zeldaclassic.com

feilos
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

yeah, i played it,...nice, but i'm not a good programmer, and i don't know how about to create the chaotic peoples...if only i had some help...anyway if you're into Moddin' games into ADOM, I'll help on my spare time, Ryan.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:48 (GMT -5)

I'm no programmer. Some of these other guys are though I think.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Wonder why no one have created any jelly models for NWN yet, maybe you schould ask on the custum content forum over there (can't have ADOM without the WMoPC's after all)...

What do you mean by creating chaotic people btw? I asume you mean something more sophisticated than just puting them in the hostile faction, right?

You can't realy do justice to ADOM's features with the NWN engine, but a mod based on ADOM's storry and locations would be neat if done properly (you should ask Thosmas'es permission before you use this world if you are seriosl considering making and releasing such a mod though).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 10/4/2002 at 05:42 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Prickle Pear
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 at 20:56 (GMT -5)

they use an isometric in nethack.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: