Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Gotta Love Those Monks!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7717 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

Is it just me or does it seem that the monk class is the absolute greatest class going in ADOM? Once you get past the burden restrictions, they are just amazing. No food really needed to maintain them (especially if you get 7L Boots), no weapons to worry about breaking, corroding, exploding, etc., learn spells pretty well. Is there a downside? I mean heck, the last few monks I've started have kicked butt, and probably would've won if I had payed a little more attention to some minor details (like only having 60 health left and deciding "Sure! I'll attack that Greater Moloch, he won't hit me!"). If only those characters could have moved themselves, they would have avoided a few mishaps... Sigh...
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/9/2002 at 14:19 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1663 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

I'm currently playing a drakish monk. They are good but not my style. I likes me merchants.

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6977 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

I actually never played monks... I don't know why :). IMHO weaponsmiths kick butts, if you only manage to bring one + anvil + some metallic items to Dwarftown (not everything at once of course).

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1663 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

I use everything except for priests, paladins and druids.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7193 days, 50 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, evryone except:
wizards
female high elven archers
fighters
suck, IMHO!

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
cavin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

ive had alot of monks but none of them get very far, 2 reasons my monks dont survive. i never find any good PV items so my monks have a super low PV and die fast in combat, and very low HP, low HP+low PV+melee fighting=quick death.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2002 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

I just remambered why i don't play monks (i tried a few of them before this post) - they don't survive my kind of start (to the SMC, first kill there, then to the bottom :P - if a char survives a start like that it's either good, or has lots of luck), keep dieing about UD:3 or 4 because of the low HP and PV (DV isn't that high too).
Beastfighter survive, so i use them :P

For me no spellcasters (playing them is boring) fighters and monks.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7319 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

I *love* using monks, your already set with a indestructable weapon that can with practice shatter through walls, cause instant kills and just simply be all round deadly. With monks you have to be careful, and retreat a lot at the beginning too - discretion can be the better part of valour.

LS
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

Monks have really nice skills and all, but they're pretty weak at the start. I also like to do the UD dive first or after the carpenter/druid quest, but monks don't seem to be able to handle the nasty vaults you might encounter. Today I got two killed there, one to a jelly vault (wasn't careful enough) and one to a doppleganger running from a steel golem (and I even had found an early ring of ice) :/
Prolly next one's gonna go straight to CoC. Or go pick up doggie. Or then I'll just have to play troll for enough brute force.
When you play monks, what races you think are good? And is it better to train unarmed or with the staff you begin with or what?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

Drop the staff. The first trap you walk into is going to destroy it anyway. The staff gives you better damage at first; but you'll want the bonuses unarmed combat gives you later in the game, so you had better start training early.

That said, it's also wise to be very, very careful at first. And train some sort of missile weapon/spell too, for taking out stuff you don't want to touch you.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7319 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

I usually use the staff to start with until my character is strong enough to train with unarmed combat. I use elves for monks because they make them faster and deadlier.

LS
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7717 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

I usually pick humans, draklings, or dwarves when planning to choose the monk class. Elves are just to weak as fighters (excepting the archer class. But I don't really classify archer as a fighter class.)
And like Iridia said, dump the staff and fight unarmed. After you gain 3-4 levels, you will be doing more damage unarmed than you would with pretty much any staff.
As for a missle weapon, just pick up some rocks until you find a decent crossbow or bow, for those nasty Karmics and jellys.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/28/2002 at 10:48 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7770 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 11:30 (GMT -5)

Monk is very good PC. But it's very useful if you train some wepons skills. Special power with instat kill works to if you fight with weapon not only unarmed... I think it's maybe some kind of bug or monk have some knowlegde about where hit to make great pain;) And about 13 level (or maybe 16?) if I remeber well, monk can crush walls
Daggers are very nice (Sting and Needle roolaz), and bows IMHO should train every clas in ADOM. It's very useful
But the best class to special experiments and queer playing is necro. He can survive a lot

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/28/2002 at 11:32 (GMT -5) by BM]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: