Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Is woodcraft useless?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Junnu
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

This is again one of those newbie-questions :)

Considering one of those two useless skills (Law is the other one:), what is woodcraft good for? The manual doesn't give too much hints. Should I in future just forget it like I've did the last three years? :)
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1663 days, 10 hours and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

Woodcraft lessens the time spent on chopping trees and I believe it ups the chance of successful bridge building. If you have a spellcaster or a wand of cold, don't bother. If not though, it will be the only way to get across water without rusting or drowning.

SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7717 days, 17 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

As RK said, it is just good for chopping trees down faster, but if you really need logs, the animated forest below dwarftown is a good place to get tons of em'! (Also, attacking the trees there also trains your woodcraft skill, if you happen to have it, I've noticed)
All in all, though it's a pretty useless skill, like law and appraising.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1663 days, 10 hours and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

appraising has uses for low level chars. How else will the level 1 dwarven weaponsmith know weather or not that warhammer is cursed or not (granted it's unreliable but still...)

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7319 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

Woodcraft may play a part with making arrows too.
Another skill that seems useless is gardening and gemmology.
Identifying gems is good but with readings scrolls of ID it's pretty obsolete, especially since there aren't a great deal of gems around.

Gardening never works, even when a herb does appear from your seeds, it never grows or breeds any other herbs like the natural cave herbs.

LS
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

Luke, are you planting herbs on levels that didn't have any to begin with? That's not a good idea, because as you say the herbs never grow. However, if the level does have herbs, and you use gardening to plant some more, they'll grow just like natural herbs.

Having said that, I agree that gardening is a pretty useless skill, especially as you can produce new herb bushes by pouring holy water on the ground (it doesn't always work, though).

Iridia.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

I think Gardening is extremely useful... Say you have two herbs in a row, just above or below the stomafillia/stat increase herbs. Without Gardening, you either waste holy water (which is scarce enough at the stage of the game when you're increasing stats with herbs) or end up just harvesting what you've got.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7717 days, 17 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

I have never had much use for the gardening skill. I usually get plenty of the good herbs from those that are randomly generated in the UD and the Big Cavern room in the CoC.
You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: