Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / An Original Thought...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6186 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 at 23:07 (GMT -5)

I often ask christians to supply me with an original, non-dogmatic thought about their religion.

This is sometimes even met with anger... many seem to insist everything there is to know about their religion has been written down already - in the bible.

This seems to indicate a thought process based upon stagnation, not growth.

My belief concerns the highest and most basic energies of masculinity and femininity and the Love they hold for each other, which continually creates every moment of existence; the growth that its life.

No more, no less.

I can see my deity everywhere I go, from the dawn of the sun, to the barely-perceptible growing of trees - from the heat of a fire, to the slightest of breezes.

I live with and love my god and goddess, and all of their reflections - all of you; all of us.

When the question is asked:

"is the cup half-empty or half-full?"

The answer is:

"It is neither."

"It is beautiful..."

--<>||<>--
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6287 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

I belive that whatever people belive in is right, so if they think their religion is right, that's
what's right. Its all in mind, then there is what we can't explain.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/10/2003 at 13:55 (GMT -5) by C]
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7191 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

A lot of religions are like that.

The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4690 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Thoth: Personally, my answer is that you have too much cup. :-)

Out of curiosity, do you consider your post to be an original non-dogmatic thought?
_Iridia_
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 at 22:36 (GMT -5)

Ah, good ol' ADoM Forum philosophy. :)

I'm a Christian... our religion is a long-established one, and as a result many people get comfortable with religious cliches that allow them to "worship" without really thinking about it. My generation, as a result, is either going to the extreme of fundamentalism, abandoning Christianity altogether, or figuring out exactly what it's all about.

These days the biggest Christian cliche is the phrase "You just have to have faith." What's with that? Is faith some sort of magical formula that makes everything inexplicably go right? I don't think so.

Faith is the thing that takes you across the logical gap between "This is probably true" and "This is definitely true." When I decided that Christianity was more probably true than any other way of thinking, that didn't automatically make me a Christian. Faith involves a decision to say, "This is true, and I'm going to live in a way that says I know it's true." It's a bridge across the gap from "probably" to "definitely". And, most importantly, faith involves action. If I say, "I know you're a good driver" but refuse to get into your car, I may have rational knowledge but I don't have faith. What makes the difference is not how certainly I know something, but whether or not I choose to base my life on it.

There's my 2 cents... :P have fun with it, guys...
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6962 days, 21 hours, 1 minute and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

And that's exactly my problem... my mind is too logical (I'm quite good at maths :)) and I just can't say that something is sure if I can't prove it. I can't tell that God exist. I can't prove it. Noone can. But I can't also prove that God doesn't exist. And noone can do that either. So I say there is a 50% chance. Stupid, isn't it? But I can't think about it in any other way.

Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

I can feel love.

There is no way to measure it.

It is as real as my heart...

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 00:50 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but then you could say that if you could measure the electrochemical interactions in your brain, you could determine whether or not you were feeling love. You could say feelings are purely biological...

That's the problem when you try to prove something as illogical as feelings or faith, with logic... you can only go to a certain point until you've logicked the whole point out of the argument...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

Precisely. :)

I see many people arguing about books that were written 2000 years ago.

Love is not subject to interpretation. It is perfect. Worship Love, my friends - simply worship Love. Such a perfect thing as cannot be measured but only experienced...

--<>||<>--
Archangel.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 10:19 (GMT -5)

But where are the origins of love?

Is it only a biochemical process in your brain that fills you with joy?

Or is there someone who created love and gave it for us to feel? Is there someone who is the ultimate love?

When did the monkey who later evolved to a being that was able to conquer the world discover love?

I understand love as the most wonderful "creation" of God. Again and again I feel so wonderful as I realize that I'm not alone. I don't need to always survive on my own: I'm being carried.

I hope that didn't sound like preaching. Just trying to put up a conversation.
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Love exists where Creation exists:

At all places where the spheres of masculinity and femininity meet and intermingle. This is the sex. This is the Love. :)

--<>||<>--
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

Hmmm... I don't know that I agree with you all that love (whether it's between a couple, friends, or family) is the highest good. There are times that love can blind and deceive... especially when love is the romantic type. You can look at someone, think them perfect, and be completely unaware that they are traitors to your love--until they stab you in the back, that is.

There's a place for love... but there's also a place for common sense and good old logic. Like any other emotion, love can often be nebulous and deceptive. It wouldn't be a good idea to not have any emotions at all, but not to base emotion on a solid framework of common sense can be disastrous.

As with so many things, a careful balance between two extremes must be maintained...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Archangel.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that's the eternal question. Is this love for real? Is this true love?

No one can define where the line of love is located. For me friendship is extremely valuable. Thus I make difference between friends and 'people I know'. I have several friends, and I call them friends because I know I can trust them completely. I love them and I am certain that they will never let me down. Nor will I let them down.

You'll propably ask: "How can you know that?"
I just do. Me and my friends tend to have long conversations and I've learned enough about them to trust'em. They show their friendship in everyday life. As do I.

So the point is that I know there are 'backstabbers' but I also know, that my friends are trustworthy.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7304 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

I don't like to go on too much about the astral, but it's made me see everything from a different angle. The existance of the astral has given deep insight to how we truly are without the body.
Love and other emotions exist in it's pure energy form in the astral, it does not get currupted or effected via the biological human nature and hence why some say love seems more real, perfect and eternal in the astral.
It also proves that love isn't just created in the physical and isn't just a biological creation to make us mate and survive in peace but is a powerful energy form, that is like gravity, it is an essential ingredient to creation itself.
True love exists in the physical world if one connects it to thier devine part, not clouded by thier biological part such as lust or selfishness.

LS
Vulgar (unlogged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

The half full or half empty cup question is easy! If it has been filled half way then it is half full. If it has been filled then half emptied then it is half empty. Simple no?
M&ouml;we (unlogged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

I once read: God is allways the Other. I don't remember where. Meaning that we will never comprehend God and have no right whatsoever to claim this.
One of my original non-dogmatic thoughts is:
Inside us there is a source of unconditional joy. This joy results out of living in the presence of God and is independent of what we do and what happens. When you feel this you'll know what I mean otherwise it's probably difficult to understand.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

It's not surpirising if God was uncomprehendable, hence why there are so many religions.

LS
Craig
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

Who was it that said somthing along these lines

You might as well belive in God, because when you die if he doesn't exist you have lost noyhing, but if he does exists at least you are on his right side :-)
Portrait
be jammin
Registered user
The Mad Evilist

Last page view:

7729 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

Thoth = rastafari?

They believe in one love. As do I, the ever entwining positive energy our little ball of dirt seeths with. Its generated by those lovers, the dancers, the free spirits, people who smile, and most importantly those people who make others smile.

Rastafarians believe in a God, but it does not have a name. It is that love that is our proof of the Gods existance. It is there, over us; its watching us. But, it is only the creator, not the judge, the spanking father figure. There is us and it, we are entwined with those smiles and with the love that two people can share for eachother. Never named, the one god is labeled: Jah.

I can believe in this... our heavens and our hells are ours to make. No one, not even the all powerful, can tell you what to do and how to live your life. Chemicals in our brain do that. Feelings in your heart do that. Or the cat does that, it doesn't matter, humans will do what we are doing(consuming). The God helps us build what we think is our perfect place, our personal heaven.

I believe the true God is man, I can agree with Thoth. I'll find my heaven when I die, I know right now what it will be like. I can visualize it. But, I could also visualize hell. Looking back to my life, every mistake burning me. I wish I never did that, I wish I never did that... for eternity. That would be hell.

The key is to live, RIGHT NOW, for love and joy and others...nothing more. Don't make those mistakes. Your heart will tell you what to do, whether it's considered a sin (by a book that was written before YOUR life) or not; you should follow what you believe. It's your path, it was never written.

Don't forget to dance.... this is very important....dance alot.

~b~
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

Craig, I think God would know the difference between true unconditional belief was and a play it safe belief.

be jammin, I admire your optimism, but we're on the verge of war with Iraq. It's making me worry.
It's hard to dance with devil on your back...

LS
B
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 at 12:15 (GMT -5)

If only Bin Laden and Saddam would learn to breakdance or something.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

I'm promoting myself to Apprentice BTW

LS
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 at 11:33 (GMT -5)

Be Jammin: . . . ?

As I understand it, the Rastafarians are Christians who believe that H.I.M. Haile Selassie I was (is) the reincarnation of Christ. Haile Selassie was born Ras Tafari, hence the name of the religion that worships him. Rastafarians believe in the same God as the Jews, other Christians and Muslimns, although the have their own view of It.

Also, they follow that "book that was written before YOUR life". IIRC, the Rastafarian religion has its roots in the beliefs of Blacks who were enslaved by the Europeans. These slaves based their beliefs on the Bible.

I am rather sure that Rastafarians believe Africa is heaven.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/18/2003 at 11:33 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
be jammin
Registered user
The Mad Evilist

Last page view:

7729 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

I dont claim to be any sort of knowledge base of ANY religion. But, the king Haile Selassie I is "worshipped" because he was king. The man that becomes king of his domain is closest to god, a living god.
<b>But like I said, im no authority.</b>
The rural poor regarded his crowning as the fulfillment of a prophecy of deliverance. He was a hero. Selassie claimed to be directly descended from King Solomon (son of David), so the people reasoned that he must be the savior of the African peoples. Jah is the shortened word for Jehovah, but rastafarians are not christains in the normal sense although they read the Bible. they believe the christians religions will fall.

ill shut up now, im digging a hole, I dont know that much about it really. I guess I have my own take on EVERYTHING.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, I don't think it was standard practice to consider the King of Ethiopia to be divine.

Interestingly, nobody knows what Haille Selassie thought (thinks) about the religion that considers him the reborn Messiah. A delegation of Rastafarians once went to speak to him, but they were turned away.

Dunno what others mean by Christian in the "normal" sense. To me, if you believe Jesus was the Christ, and you honestly try to follow Jesus' teachings, then you are Christian.
B (not logged on)
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

Normal sense = Basic Caucasion Christian (<-sp?)

yaknow, the ones with all the power and money?

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2003 at 01:14 (GMT -5)

Power and money?!... I wish... :P

Die Gedanken sind Frei
The Lord
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Godsdienst is voor dwazen en het eenvoudige bedacht. Daardoor, daarom bent u alle eenvoudige dwazen bedacht. Read and heed...
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7178 days, 10 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

ja-ja

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

What is The Lord saying?

LS
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: