Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / dont use these classes

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

b jammin
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

whats up? I haven't posted much, im brand new to ADOM (or any roguelike actually). I was wondering if anyone would like to share general pointers and tips for the newbie.

yasee, I play frequently, hopping on all the time generate a new character. But, I fail miserably all the time. I furthest I've gotten is to the mad carpenter, defeated him, but after that I didn't know what to do.... I walked around, trying to open the map, and I'd end up getting killed while searching for a new quest my character could undertake. I've never seen any other villages, the only shop I know of is in the raider camp-type place.

Also, since my best character has been a ranger (hurthling for the cookin', MMMMmmmmmm, orc meat) I tend to stick with the fighter-type classes just so I can make it into the first dungeun. (And I usually die there, too, mind you) I've never really tried out many other characters. So, what I'm asking is what are some good choices as far as class goes. Smith sounds cool, is he decent in combat and able to craft armor for himself and such? Farmers seems like they would be tough but are they really? Can these classes become good at anything else but smithing and gardening/cooking? An idea of a merchant is awesome but how will he stay alive is his best skill is haggling and his best attribute is charisma, am I gonna talk that Ogre to death? (If I can tell me how) Are they good at making money? Are paladins good fighters? Good at healing?

Reading your posts makes me concerned my whole tactic concerning the game is all wrong. The most money I've made is about 1500gps(then I died), the highest level ive gotten to is about 15 (then I died), the best weapon Ive had did about 1d6 +7 damage (then I died). Is this good? No. I died. I dunno... just post something. thanks.

Portrait
Benji
Registered user
the grey elven priest

Last page view:

7748 days, 1 hour, 34 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

My personal favorite race/class combos:

Human Barbarian (only with the Heir though)
Dwarf Fighter
Grey Elf Priest
Orc Barbarian
Troll Healer (esp. born under Candle, and with talents Hardy and Healthy...won't die for quite some time)

"Bonk, the Hill Giant, is hit by the icy beam. Bonk, the hill giant is killed!"
Wolf
Registered user
Almost as cool as toast.

Last page view:

7656 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

Drakeling Barbarian is my favourite. I haven't had much luck with any of the classes that aren't true fighters/spellcasters. (ie. farmer, merchant, thief etc.)

Once you complete the mad carpenter quest talk to the village elder in Terinyo and he will tell you where to go next. (Killing the carpenter isn't the only way to do the quest, but I won't go into any more detail here since this isn't the spoiler forum. If you want to know, go there and ask. :) )
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7421 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

Best advice for weak characters:
Learn how to throw things at your enemies. Stones, clubs, daggers, anything. You'll get better at it and eventually you'll be able to kill enemies in melee as well. Hopefully.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 33 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

You can get three quests from the first town at the beginning, have you got them all?(there are four to choose from but two are mutually exclusive) Just talk to everybody. There are two other quests but you can only get them a bit later(for the other one a bit and many many many bits later). Also talk to the evil people in the outlaw village, they might also want you to do something for them.

In my opinion healer is the best fighter class. The skills speak for themselves: alertness, find weakness, healing, herbalism and all that... From lvl 12 they heal three times the other class' speed. Just pick a physically strong race with food preservation to not starve yourself (drakelings I love them).

Barbarian is the next best because of greatly increased 'cool' factor(and actually might be the best fighter class after healer, but rangers are also good). Which is more satisfying: to give that greater moloch a mighty strike from that lovely two handed Axe of the Minotaur Emperor with a crazy true berzerker barbarian OR fight him with a phase dagger and the 'protector' shield with shield skill 15 on defensive tactics with a guy whose class is called 'healer'? For barbarians a good race would be orcs. And drakelings of course they are good for everything.

I don't concider the following to be a spoiler but a helpful tip but what the hell:

Spoiler
as someone mentioned you might come up with a way to heal the carpenter from his madness. Or to get someone to do it for you[\SPOILER]
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

Oh and hard classes, in my opinion: merchant, farmer, mindcrafter(well I'm not good with any kind of spellcaster although technically mindcraft isn't magic but still wizards are supposedly the easiest).

Priests also have good skills such as really high detect item status skill and find pretty many spellbooks but don't suck in hand-to-hand either.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Hiram Sedai
Registered user
Token Lackwit

Last page view:

7714 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

I started using the infinite dungeon to level up my characters before doing the quests. That way, I can have a decent class like bard or mindcrafter ready.
Portrait
Ranger
Registered user
Drakish Ranger

Last page view:

7704 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 02:41 (GMT -5)

ya hiram i do the same,but i do feel that adom is only suited towards strong fighter characters, trolls and orcs and such,,i dont think its possible to play as a thief or bard,i think a trollish beastfighter is the easiest to play,

http://www.geocities.com/rogue_likes_arena/
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7345 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 22:33 (GMT -5)

By far I think wizards/elementalists are easiest to play. That's just my opinion...I guess considering most of my characters die much later than you are talking about does make my opinion differ some...

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Ranger
Registered user
Drakish Ranger

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 23:12 (GMT -5)

that chat room doesnt work for me does it for others?,,and why doesnt my website addrress i have in my signiture,,link?

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

You have to put http:// into it so the forum will think it's a link.

It's possible to beat adom with all character combinations some are just harder than others and they're not even meant to be equally easy/hard to play.

Portrait
Ranger
Registered user
Drakish Ranger

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 01:37 (GMT -5)

i had it with the http before and it still didnt work.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

you have to finish it with a /
like this:

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7345 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

It's an old chat...back in the good ol' days :)

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6521 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

I think elementalists are a strong class.
Get their concentration skill up and they'll work fine. You also don't have to worry too much about using up (forgetting) all offensive spells, because they are refilled at each level.
But the highest level i ever got was (although only level 15, but he is still alive) with a hurthling mindcrafter, so that has got to be luck, because i can't believe that is the easiest combi to play :P
I also like rangers a lot.
But i'm going to try the troll healer combination sometime soon, because it sounds quite cool and different from what i know (i barely ever fight with fighter-chars, and this does sound like one)
Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

Every high level char is just lucky. Unlucky chars die fast:D

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

Just encountered a rustmonster with one of my chars. I lost all my equipment and died when a ghost joined in the fun.
Klavert
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

Might want to try something other than a troll. Orcs or dwarves are strong fighters, or if you want food preservation(which is the best way of gaining strength for fighter classes,IMO) play drakelings or humans. Trolls level up something like three to six times slower than all other races. In the newer versions that means even more than in older ones because, at least in my opinion, it's harder to gain experience in general. Gaining levels also has a new advantage, talents.

Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

I think i only played dwarf once or twice. The first time i played, just because i still like dwarf the most of all races (not their stats or abilitys, but the whole dwarf thing, i just love them. short but brave, with a nice sharp and big battle axe).
The best races to play i think are high elf and hurthling, but that might change one day. (or even sooner than that)

Klavert
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7186 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

dwarf barbarians rule

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
I Love Stupid Stuff
Registered user

Last page view:

6691 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Tremble before the awesome power of my Orcish Monks!
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 at 20:43 (GMT -5)

this thread is almost 6 months old. thats half a year. do you really need to bring this back to the top?

(:
I Love Stupid Stuff
Registered user

Last page view:

6691 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

Too late. Didn't think.

Oh well...
Battle bunny
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Dark elf necro rulez!

Do you think necros rock?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7042 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

one thread is enough thank you, this one is very old too, no need to bring it up.
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Heh, the previous posts before his were about bumping old threads...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: