Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Jedi with Christianity

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

You're right... logic isn't the only way to understand things. As a scientist, I suppose it's the way I approach things, but an artist or a poet wouldn't think of it that way. Still, I don't think logical impossibilities like a square circle, unjust justice, or God creating rocks that were so big he couldn't lift them, wouldn't make any more sense to an artist than they would to me. Okay, so... let's try this again. Replace "logic" with "the human mind" and I think we'd have it about straight... maybe. :)

This is getting about as weird as quantum physics... and that's pretty weird :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/1/2003 at 06:32 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7317 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 at 06:42 (GMT -5)

Moving swiftly back to the Jedi subject to state a point on this.
Jedi comprehension of God isn't as a being as such but more like a Force that binds us all together. This is thier comprension of God but they don't read it from a book but feel it within.

This goes against the logic of the bible but I say the bible is just one way to lead onto the same path, that path is the light side or peace and good.

It is the human mind using logic from the bible that makes limits on accepting and not judging other religions that are the same.
Thus IMHO, the bible is there for us but not to take literally as to condemn what the bible does not promote.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 at 22:02 (GMT -5)

One problem with that.

If the Bible were one of many ways to get to God, why would Jesus say "No man comes to the Father (God) except through me"?

If we assume the Bible is one of many ways, then we'd have to say that Jesus, at this point, lied. That would make God a liar and the Bible pretty much worthless, or the writer of the Bible a liar and the Bible inaccurate.

They way I see it, either it's the only way to get to God, or it's not a way to get to God at all. Take yer pick...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

Luke: Well, I'm Christian, and most of my religion comes from self exploration, my life's experiences and discussion with others, not a book. The Bible introduced me to Christianity, and it is a loyal guide. Everything in it rings true to me -- Some interpretations/translations do feel "wrong" to me, but I believe those are incorrect interpretations

With that in mind, I think that the making of the Bible entailed considerably more introspection, collecting of life experiences and discussion than the Star Wars movies . . . I mean, please -- did you actually see Episodes I and II?!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/2/2003 at 18:48 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

Iridia: Here again, you seem ready to throw out the entire religion/Bible if it turns out you are misinterpretting one part. Maybe Jesus meant that "no man can come to the Father except because of my sacrifice." Are you condemning that 2nd century Japanese peasant purely because of geography? Remember, you are reading translations of spoken memories.

. . . Wait, scratch that. The Jury will disregard, etc. . . . Let me try a different approach. Iridia: What is the "way" described in the Bible? (Be sure to allow for that poor peasant) I would concede that the only way to salvation is in the Bible, but that that does not mean the Bible is the only way.

I propose somebody can love God above all else, love their neighbor as themselves, forgive, and seek forgiveness/repentence without ever encountering the Bible. I think they would still be saved. One can even do the above while believing the Bible to be an imperfect work of man and still be saved.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/2/2003 at 18:40 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 at 18:50 (GMT -5)

Iridia: P.S. What kind of scientist are you?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

I guess that needed some explanation. I'm in my third year of university, majoring in physics. I'm not actually doing any new research or anything, but I'm about as close to being a scientist as any non-genius 19-year-old can be. :) It's more a way of thought than anything else... Prove everything, test everything, if you don't have enough evidence then don't make a decision... that sort of thing.

More later... got a test to study for :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Uncle Ted
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

Christianity working with 'any' other religion?? That'll be the day! They're too judgemental and preach too much, also cat has got Iridia's tongue by the looks of it.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

Uncle Ted: "That'll be the day! They're too judgemental"

Hey pot; this is the kettle. You're black!

:-P

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/6/2003 at 23:38 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Uncle Ted
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

"Hey pot; this is the kettle. You're black!"

Huh?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

I'm playing on an English Idiom: "The pot calling the kettle black."

It comes into play when you criticize somebody for a fault which you also have. In the old days, pots and kettles were made of cast iron so they were both black.
Uncle Ted
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

Well okay, here's another.

It takes one to know one
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Heh, Considering the subject matter of this thread (paraphrase):

". . . Before you remove the speck from your brother's eye, remove the plank from your own . . ."

I guess he really was a carpenter, originally.

:-P~

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/7/2003 at 13:28 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Uncle Ted
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

Christians are still too judgemental to accept and unite with other religions, that goes without saying.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Whatever you say, kettle . . .

:-)

. . . still, as a Christian who does work with and does learn from other religions, I hope you don't mind if I doubt you proposition.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/8/2003 at 16:20 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Uncle Ned
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

Maybe I generlized a bit. If you work and learn off other religions then I personnelly wouldn't class you as a typical Christian. It's good to know some of you still keep an accepting open mind.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: