Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Lavos has been... Changed?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7108 days, 8 hours, 22 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Well, ive already got some blessed ammo of undead slaying, as well as construct, and just plain slaying.

Spoiler
I knew that crowning gifts were random, but it seems like you get the same thing every time. :( Does Suns Messanger slay the undead or something? Or is it like the vanquisher and slays almost anything?

On my last game I had a lot of PoEx but didnt know what they did so I didnt do anything with them. Sorry for all of these questions but after i get a RoDS how do i use it?

(:
Deen
Registered user

Last page view:

7577 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

My guess would me that you need to wear and 'U'se it.

I myself play dwarf 50% of the time. They are great! I wanted to play a necromancer, started a human one, high elf, gnome, gray elf, another human.... anyway, none of them could make it above lvl 7-8, and I had to start very carefully. Then I started a dwarven necromancer, and he is happy at lvl 18 as of now.
I got my HP to 210 and have 180 PP. He kill most things with his mace of destruction (+4,5d6+7), and uses spells mainly as support, or for most nasty things, like karmic dragons.

I was also lucky enough to find an anvil, so looking forward to some smithing.

good luck with archer:)

P.S. I had a good orc archer who got pretty handy with crossbows, but he got sacreficed by an orc at lvl 19.
Lavos-notlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 00:00 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Yeah, 'U'sing it worked. I went to the dwarven halls and dipped a ring of cold resistance into the blessed PoEx, and 'POW' it turned into a RoDS. Then i 'U'sed it and got my AoLS. Saved Khelavaster. Ah, finally im doing good. But what about the ToRR? How/ When to i get that?
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

well this one is probably doing better than my last one.

i havent killed a single cat yet.
ive saved khelavaster at a very low level.
already on level 17 with nocorruptions yet
I have a ring of regeneration and a ring of slaying
And many other things.

im going for precrowning but im gonna have to wait until level 23 to get. I havent even done the dog quest, its already been 70 days :(. BTW there isn't any good to doing the puppy quest when the dog is already dead is there? And what about this ToRR?

(:
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6333 days, 2 hours, 2 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

Well, if you're that high-lvl already, I'd suggest you just got yourself crowned. Now. Food can be a big problem, 'cause you'll be carrying a big load of artifacts soon, except if you don't want to wear them. Then you can sell them, and food'll be no problem. But I like to get crowned at lvl 12-15.
Well, the dog quest has a lawful boost even if the dog was dead, just remember to tell the little girl about it.
And trident of the red rooster. Well, make a new thread about it to the spoiler section if you want to know how to get it, and what does it do.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

ok. i guess i could look in the guidebook too.

As for the crowning, you think i should skip precrowning and just go for crowning? Thats probably a good idea since i probably have already "generated" about seven and there's no way im gonna get to level 29 before i get crowned. I'll take a run through the puppy caves then. Thanks.

Oh, by the way. "Long Sting", where do i get it?

Thanks.

(:
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

Long sting is a useless spear/throwing spear and it's probably somewhere. Yes, you can't know it, it's a normal artifact that generates randomly, but I'd suggest you check the darkforge's weapon section (it weights 10s, IIRC). :)
And when you're at lvl 29, there've most likely been generated even more artifacts, so precrowning is nearly impossible in that stage of the game. Best way to get crowned, is to do the dwarven quests (or did you already?) and sacrifice the lead-filled mace and about 50k of gold. But I'm not sure if that is enough, as you're so high lvl already.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/5/2003 at 01:56 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3129 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

I lately tried to get crowned at lvl 21... Just to put it lightly - big punch and 50k gold is NOT enough.
Sacced Big Punch, Elemental Gaunlets, Sword of Nonnak and about 200k gold - still sh*t, I'm at very close :[ Ofcourse, got killed when I went to the CoC graveyard though the DH... guess how? I went over a corner, and a Berserker Emperor (which I did not see until he was next to me) killed me in ONE turn. 2 critical hits out of 4 hits in one turn and bye bye goes my 238 hp hurthling archer!

The point of this post - you need a lot more than just Big Punch and 50k to get crowned now if you went for pre-crowning first.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/5/2003 at 11:21 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5676 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

I can't remember what race/class you playing, but if you have herbalism pick blessed stomafillia, they're good for saccing. Pepper petals(I think it's pepper petals, well anyway, one type of herb sells for WAY more than the others) also sell for quite a lot of money so sell them and sac the gold. Hope that helps.

Hmm, I think I'll make a song about herbalism:[deleted, 'cause some people don't have microsh!t explorer.=)]

Oh, and Sun's messanger slays undead.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 8/11/2003 at 09:44 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

Well, im using Big Punch right now so i should probably wait a little bit before i sac that. Im already at the very close range. i usually just fight until i get a bunch of sis and then either sell those and sac the gold or just sac them (i dont know which ones better.)

Just got a pair of blessed SLB that i found in the animated forest :). also found a medium crytal shield (+2) [+9, +7] in there. Going for the water orb now, just remembered i couldnt swim though :( so i gotta find a helm of water breathing. Oh n/m i just got the teleportation corruption (i thought that was always the first corruption you got.) I guess i still better wait.

BTW i think ive heard something about bringing the banshee up to the animated forest and letting it kill all of the trees, is that something anyone's tried?

(:
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

You don't have to know how to swim it's only a couple of squares wide, the water that is. Also teleportation isn't allowed on the temple levels, sorry(no running from that snake now, buhahaha) :)

You can get the banshee to follow you up to the animated forest and it will kill all the trees from time to time but they will just keep spawning and spawning. It does create a lot of treasure though(beware of 291...) Also be careful because the banshee get experienced quite fast killing all those trees.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5777 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom, I'm not sure but I think that after you're precrowned, it will never again say that you are any better than very close to your god. Next time, try praying when you think you've sacrificed enough.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 18:04 (GMT -5)

It is not so, I usually get the extremely/absolutely messages even after precrowning(s). Sometimes you don't get them, though. Then you just have to try if your "very close" is close enough.

lavos-notlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

It usually isnt unless you have constantly sacrificed since the beginning and havent asked for any devine interventions.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 05:15 (GMT -5)

Oh, and one thing about those rings of djinni summoning: BLESS THEM BEFORE USING.
Just in case, 'cause I didn't notice anyone said that.

But how 'bout postcrowning? I've never got myself to extremely/absolutely close to my deity after getting crowned. And I've sacced millions of gold. But never got postcrowned, even if I met all the requirements.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 21:26 (GMT -5)

When youre going for crowning, do you have to be an extreme (L+ N= C-)? Im extremely close but i still cant get crowned. Is it because im only at L?

(:
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7448 days, 12 hours, 41 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

Just keep saccing.. It usually makes your alignment go extreme pretty fast, if u don't do any bad deeds in the middle..

Icesus
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 15:46 (GMT -5)

Rinning out of stuff to sac. I also got my long bow destroyed in an explosion trap :( I have another one but its not as good. I did kill a shopkeeper though :( probably didnt help a lot, and just did the puppy quest. I didnt even know you needed to be extreme to get crowned :(

(:
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

Saccing only makes your alignment go extreme if you're neutral. If you're chaotic, it's easy to get to C- by murdering innocent peacefuls (you probably want to lure them away from their home town first). If you're lawful, one way to get to L+ is to keep wearing the blessed amulet of order. If that's too slow, or the amulet has been destroyed, feeding beggars is quite a lawful act.

BTW, J. (since I'm a moderator now :-)) is it absolutely necessary for your song about herbalism vs healing to have all the words hyphenated together in one line? It's making this page look really ugly, as you have to scroll back and forth to see everything. Any chance you could break it up a bit?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/8/2003 at 04:11 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
Arancaytar.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin, I'm not sure what browser you're using, but the textwrap is okay for me...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Netscape 7 for Linux, but I have the same problem with Mozilla (also for Linux). What browser are you using? Has your browser actually wrapped the very long hyphenated line "it-has-many-more-uses-like..." or left it sticking off the edge of the screen but wrapped the other posts?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3129 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Yes, it has. And guess what it is? The all infamous Micro$oft Internet Explorer. The text warps nicely, the "it-has-many..." has 6 lines.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Jurne-
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

Well, it has 6 full lines plus like 3 words on another :-p
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 hours, 14 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Yet another one of thise funny little browser quirks that makes life hell for webmasters sometimes...

Opera 6 and IE get it "right" (allow line break with a hyphen just as if it where a blank space), while Netscape 6+ (and Mozilla (wich is the same thing basicaly)) just treat it as one long word and doesn't break the text...

Not much chance of Netscape beeng fixed seeng as they have discontinued developement, but Mozilla is constantly beeng improved, fixed and tweaked upon so if it's not already fixed in the latest version I'm sure it will be soon (once they know about it).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

Was away for a little while('cause my ISP messed up my cable for 4 days! That really set me back in my download schedule, grrr! Plus, I've had withdrawal effects for several days now).

Believe me, I wouldn't have posted it if the lines hadn't wrapped around for me. But they did since I've IE6(or sth) and I thought other browsers were supposed to be better than IE, since everyone is always dissing Bill and Microsoft =)

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

Hey, I didn't mean to make you delete it! I just meant to break it into separate lines so that it looked better. Something like this:

[Deleted at J.'s request.]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/12/2003 at 10:22 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

I've no idea what a 'correct version' would look like:) Also things that crappy shouldn't exist on the net.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

Well, there are plenty of posts with less content than your song (which made several valid points about herbalism), but since you asked me, I've deleted it.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 22:30 (GMT -5)

Well, this is off the subject of the poem, but i finally got crowned with the rune covered sling (is that good or bad? :P) Cleaned out the undead level and got L+. Now i need to find a ring of ice so i can get the orb of fire. I might have some trouble with the RoHK though. Ive already got the mana battery corruption (my third one!) and i have to wands of cold. i either need a third, or need to learn the spell.

Is that rune-covered sling a good thing to get for crowning? I thought it was one of the ones you could find somewhere else. Thanks.

(:
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 01:34 (GMT -5)

No, rune-covered sling is useless IMO, except for all those hurtling archers out there (a great race/class combination, btw).
Well, I'd say... Hmm, that might be a tough game to finish. You don't need the RoI, if you just have a few fireproof blankets and some good eternium stuff on you. Just go and drop all the stuff you don't need in the ToEF to the barbarian glade (don't leave anything that might get destroyed on you).
3 corruptions at that stage of the game is a bad bad thing. I'd suggest you try to get your hands on the SoCR that is located in the HMV, so you need a ring of teleport control, teleport control from pools, or a blink dog corpse. Check your backpack for the ring, and if you don't have a one, you might want to clear out the darkforge and drink it's pools. You've went past khelly already, so you don't need an amulet of life saving, so if you get a wish, you could waste it on Scrolls of chaos resistance, as it seems to be the worst of your problems.
And I wouldn't suggest going to ToEF before you get rid of the mana battery corruption, as digging the walls with a pickaxe takes alot more time and the top level of ToEF has a mean background corruption level, and it's over day 90, which I can guess from the fact that you already have 3 corruptions.

So, SoCRs are what you need. Alot.

Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: