Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / "You feel slightly exhausted..

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

oh yeah. let me tell you about my "new" school.
please note that i think this is absolutely crazy.

They have made the schedules go a strange way, let me explain...

on monday you start and go to: 1st period, 2nd period, 4th period 3th period 5th period.

Tuesday: 6, 1, 4, 3, 5

wednesday: 2, 6, 4, 1, 3

thursday: 3, 5, 4, 2, 1

friday: 2, 3, 4, 6, 5

Pretty screwed, right?

BTW, i am completely serious about this.

(:
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

570 days, 22 hours, 7 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 22:20 (GMT -5)

Sounds like time travel to me... :p

Two years ago we had a similar system, with letters for periods. So it was like

Monday: AADCBFF
Tuesday: GGCEAHH
etc.

Every student had a sheet, which looked something like this (different for each):

B = Math
C = English
D = Economics
etc.

It was abolished last year, and all has been hellishly confusing since, because now everyone has their own schedule, which is completely different from person to person.

And we don't measure in days of the week. Usually you'd find it pretty disconcerting if someone asked you what the day of the week is in school, right? Not here. We have periods of 8 days (nine days since last year), and so Monday will fall on Day I this week, but Day VI next week, Day II the following, etc. It's hopelessly confusing. The classrooms vary too, so Math class will be in room E40 on one day, and 104 the next... It's so obscure that you stop to wonder how it comes that there is anyone who finds their class at all! ;)

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 23:49 (GMT -5)

Well, all i can say is, the worst part of my school is the buses. Which have steadily gotten worse over the 4 years i've gone to my high school. At this point I avoid most any bus like the Black Plague.

When I was a freshman, it wasn't so bad. Bus picks us up at 7:15, takes us over the hill, drops us off at the school on its way to pick up more kids at 7:30. So school started at 8:15. 45 minutes to hang out on the internet (i was real bad internet junkie back then.) Afternoons, school is out at 3:15, bus pickes us up around 3:50 or so.

Sophomore year comes around. The mother of a girl in a wheelchair complains to the school board, so they sell 2 of their buses so they can buy one that has 6 seats removed, a wheelchair lift, and somewhere to put the wheelchair. Now the bus picks us up at 7 and drops us off at 7:30, this including sitting on the bus for 10 minutes freezing my a** off while the front door and the wheelchair lift door are both open, right after watching the bus drive right past the school. Afternoons are about the same as when I was a freshman.

Junior year, I was gone half the year, so I never rode it in the morning, but afternoons were the same as usual.

Now, I'm a senior. I have yet to ride teh bus. This is why:
AM Route: Picks us up at about a quarter to 7, drops us off at 8. The bus still drives past the school.
PM route: Picks us up at 3:20 from the shool, and doesn't ge tus home until 4:30.

Mind you this: I live about 15 minutes away from the high school.

*Sigh.* I really, really need a car...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 00:20 (GMT -5)

Why cant they just leave things how they are???

I wish i could get a car. but then again, i would need a job too. And money to afford a car. And somewhere to keep it. Hmmm.... and maybe i liscense. Other than that, it sounds good to me. Ive never rode the bus to school before. Ive always walked ( i live in the desert, freezing in winter, brutal in summer) and never had to ride the bus, 'cause ive always lived close.

Ill be walking about 2 miles next year, unless i wanna ride the bus, which is almost insane here. Ive seen buses push cars off the rode, and almost hit kids.... its crazy. Man, people sure can screw things up. Well, at least its friday.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6993 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

if you live 25 minutes away walk! lazy...

my timetable for the first year of highschool was split into 7 periods which was stoopid, then they changed it to 5 periods a day. however each day was different and we had a 2 week timetable. having 10 or so subjects in blocks of either 1 or 2 periods a piece (euw, double french, double RE, nasty) meant that you really needed a timetable with you. when i started 6th form to do my a-levels both weeks were pretty much the same and having onyl 3 subjects meant it wasn't to hard to remember what subjects on what days

eg

monday week A
physics, physics, chemistry, art, art

monday week B
art, art, maths (stats), physics, physics

that was when i was still doing 4 A levels, maths and statistics(1 a level but stas and pure maths taugh separately with different teachers in different rooms). i also had 2 teachers per subject and different rooms all the time (apart from art 'cause there were only a couple), fun. yeah, so in conclusion, apart from earlier start times, you lot have it easier

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/6/2003 at 12:21 (GMT -5) by DaN]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

25 minutes away by car. I usually don't feel like walking over a hill in the damp and cold at 6:30.

Someone once tryed to beat the bus by running home instead of riding the bus... they almost beat it to, but not quite.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

yeah walking in the cold at 6:30 isnt one of my favorite things either.

(:
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

570 days, 22 hours, 7 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

I suddenly feel like gloating... I get up at 7:00, then have to leave home by 7:40, when my mother drives me to the train station. The train leaves at 7:55, arrives 200 meters from my school at 8:15 (leaving plenty of time to do homework left over from yesterday evening). School starts at 8:40. Lucky me. ;)

On the other hand, it finishes at 3:45, get a train at 3:50, and have to switch trains on the way back (since I walk home, and have to get to a nearer station than the one I get on in the morning). I get home at about 5:00, or 5:30-6:00 if I stay for after-school activities.

If I had to walk to school, I'd probably need to leave at 4:00 or so... :p

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

wow, i just realized something...

there is a lot of difference between countries... (not that thats a bad thing, its just wierd to see someone writing like that.)

Again, im not saying its a bad thing.

1. Ive never even heard of anyone taking the train to school here, and especially not swithching trains halfway.

2. Meters. Its weird to hear people say meters (even though i know thats what most of the world uses.) Maybe miles... of feet, just strange.

theres other stuff too. Again, im not saying thats the "wrong" way, just weird to me.

BTW, i live in the us

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

for short distances you'd probably use meters. 200 meters is about a 6th of a mile. or yards, but i dunno how many yards to a mile
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

uh, this conversation seems interesting.
just started university (or college) and I take the subway. Much faster than going by car or bus, but still takes me an hour or so (big city...) and gotta switch trains halfway through.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

where are you then Taz?
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

New York? (on the Taz question) My dad takes me to school (I could walk, only about 25 min. away), I'll need a car in about 2 years, I could get a job...if I move to Merced that is (I live in one of those cowsh** towns) in the middle of nowhere, my dad takes about 20 min to get anywhere, I wouldn't even start on my grandparents....
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

Nope, China :p (though the time stamp might say otherwise... just finished some insane hw and am preparing to go to sleep)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

Wow... have we had anyone here from China yet? This is starting to be a truly international community!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

my mates in china again. not sure why this time but tlast time was there teaching english before he started his uni course
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 19:01 (GMT -5)

its wierd (to me) how many people know english in other countries. If you think about it, a lot of people seem to know two languages, when they are from another country. I wish i knew more, i only know english.

Maybe its just me.

(:
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

My next guess would have been Japan... All the other countries know English, but the US (most people) don't know other country's language. I only know English, Spanish, and a tiny bit of Italian (based on latin like spanish), Chinese would be great to know though, that's like the top language or something like that.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

yeah, ive always wanted to know another language. I know a little spanish. I could communicate with someone who spoke spainish, but it wouldnt be a long conversation. Just a lot of head nodding :P.

(:

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/11/2003 at 19:56 (GMT -5) by Lavos]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 23:08 (GMT -5)

What's with you people and you metric problems?

200m being a 6th of a mile? Please.

1 mile is close to 1,600meters.
1 yard is near 90cm (a meter is 100cm)
1 inch is about 2.5cm
1 kilogram is about 2.2lbs

..any others?

Everyone at my school had different timetables, I though that was normal?

I caught two different buses to school each day and two to University (took me 1hour 15mins).
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

I guess ive alway lived in an area where things werent like that. Just thought it was weird.

I think a yard is about 3 feet, so i guess a foot would be about 30cm.

(:
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that's right.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

Woa, did I just completely change the direction of the conversation by just being here? Cool!

Hablo un poco de espanol tambien ;) And if I didn't speak English, I wouldnt be playing ADOM, so I wouldn't be in this forum. You only notice the few people who speak english, there're a whole lot more out there (points out the window) who dont speak a word of english.

About different units: how much is a stone? I remember reading about it somewhere but dont remember where or what i read :D
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

Every "General" forum topic I read always drift completely off topic. If not earlier then at least when it gets on the second page. Don't know if it's a bad thing just a thing I noticed :)

About internationality... Well, I think everybody has noticed there are quite a few ADOM players from Finland, myself included. That's nothing new. Finland is officially bilingual so that everyone has to learn also swedish(Finland used to be a part of Sweden for about 700 years) but I'd say most people in Finland(at least young people) know better english than swedish, the other official language. If not english then some other language they started in the third grade or earlier. Some kindergartens/play schools teach english or french or some language also.

The good thing living in a tiny little POS country is that you basically have to learn some other language and try to get the hell out of here:)

Oh and some numbers I remember off the top of my head(well, later on I dug up my calculator) are:

A pound is about 0.4536 kilograms(1kg=2.2lb),
a mile is about 1609 meters(1km=0.62mi),
an inch is 2.54 centimeters(1cm=0.394in. that makes one foot 30.48 centimeters. Okay, at this point I dug up my calculator :),
a yard is 0.9144 meters (91.44 centimeters)

I can't remember how much a stone is.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 19:40 (GMT -5)

The actual measurement for a stone in ADOM is in the manual.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

That's probably where I read it...

Avatar still not working, argh. Does it have to be a jpg? I think that the picture I put in is a gif.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

[JEM:

Fixed it ;)

Took a peek in the database, for some reason your "user uploaded immage" tag was stuck at "false" Taz, that's why it didn't work...

Strange realy it should be set to true once you upload a immage, I'll have to look into that...]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/14/2003 at 13:07 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 22 hours, 24 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

Taz: about your avatar, see edited mesasge abowe :P

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 22 hours, 24 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

I've never understood why USA cling to the imperial measuring system when even the old empire theyr fought to free themselves from have adopted the metric system (along with just about everyone else), or am I mistaken? Yeah I know the international aviation standards still use feet and such but other than that...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Americans think they're located at the center of the world... they don't realize we live on the surface of a sphere, and there IS no center.

They don't think it matters that everyone ELSE is using the metric system... not to mention that Americans are huge traditionalists: They don't wanna change.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/14/2003 at 15:18 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: