Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / "You feel slightly exhausted..

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 5 hours, 1 minute and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Americans think they're located at the center of the world... they don't realize we live on the surface of a sphere, and there IS no center.

They don't think it matters that everyone ELSE is using the metric system... not to mention that Americans are huge traditionalists: They don't wanna change.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/14/2003 at 15:18 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6993 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

yeah i've heard (ok, mainly on tv programs) americans complaining about european use of metric measurements yet (being english) all our road signs are in yards and miles, we measure our liquids in pints (good examples are milk and BEER!), measure things like heights and lengths (tv screens, certain body parts ;-) ) in feet and inches, measure peoples weights in pounds and stones, yet amongst others things (i have a few other examples that) i'm not exactly sure about their road signs are in kilometers or kilometers/hour. i'm sure the blokes in Cheers don't drink pints or half-pints either. metric is used in more scientific areas obviously but here most casual measurements are imperial. having said that, there was that NASA slip up over unit conversion a few years back. woopsie
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

"Americans are huge traditionalists: They don't wanna change."

that's true too. there are a few real backwards laws in britain which still haven't been removed but they're ignored (eg, the one about hackney carriges having to carry a bail of hay- no cab driver is gunna get busted for not having a bail of hay in his boot), but that whole american citzens right to a firearm reeeeeally needs to be ammended
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

I would be all for changing to the metric system. Its a lot easier, everything basically goes by ten.

(:
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6508 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

No.

That's protected by the 4th amendment I believe, the right to bear arms.
Unless Congress repeals it, which is unlikely, then you can have firmarms.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

i don't mind what we use. i haven't a clue how long a mile is or how long a kilometer is, but i know the distances are between different places and compare them to road signs etc, eg, the distance between my house and my local is about 200 yards or so, so if a i see a sign mentioning something in say 50 yards i know roughly how long it is cuz it's just a quarter of the house/pub distance. you could replace yards with any other sensible measurement and it wouldn't matter
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 05:58 (GMT -5)

Thanks for fixing the avatar, Jan.

I've always used the metric system, and I think that it makes sense, as Lavos said. But I do know some rough conversions. No matter what reasons the USA might have for keeping their units, I think it'd be easier if they changed it to metric. Metric units are fixed (except for the kilogram), eg: a meter is EXACTLY a fixed number of wavelengths given off by a certain atom (always scored top grades in physics :D) and I don't think that there's a similar way to check if a foot is getting longer/shorter over time (you could always compare it with a meter though :p)

Yeah, heard about the NASA slip up. Seems like the Brits and NASA were working together to make pieces for a spacecraft, but one used meters and the other feet. Result: pieces didn't fit together, they wasted loads of money.

Iridia, the world HAS a center, but it's a little bit too deep and hot for anyone to inhabit ;)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/15/2003 at 06:01 (GMT -5) by Taz]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

surely a kilogram has always been a kilogram just by going through equations like F=mx, m=F/x (x being distance) or 1 kg = 1 N/m

i know for centuries they had a weight somewhere (france?) that was exactly a kilogram (maybe it was some sort of imperial measurement) that was kept in an air tight container with various other mechanisms to keep it precise, but the weight gradually changed. i'm sure they use some chemical or physical constant to keep a kilogram constant. nit that it mattters because we can only measure things to a certain degree of accuracy anyway
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 21:42 (GMT -5)

First OnT on this post; man it feels like monday, I was sick over the weekend and I'm also taking a powerful keflex/ampicillin mix, I ran today and... Ahhh! Ever since this morning I've felt like I'm going to fall down and crash like the fat guy at church...(another story)
OT;(distance); I don't really know exactly how much a mile/kilometer is, and I don't really care which one is used, it's easy to convert them anyway.
OT;(Bush); If Bush played adom, the strategy would be different, either that or he would be too busy and Cheney (sp?) would in reality be president.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

OT? What's that? Not an ADOM abrev, is it?

Dan, don't get me started on physics :p
The unit Newton is based on kg and m. So we need to define kg and m first. And that lump of metal (maybe not quite a pure metal, don't remember) still exists, still is the standard, and cientists are still cracking their heads on how to better define a kg (I think it's in France) Today they keep that ugly lump of metal in a very safe box in a very safe room, preventing as much change as possible. There are also copies of it in other countries, which are periodically compared with the original.

That's what you get when you get a short break during physics lessons and walk around the room reading physics posters :p
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

i saw it on tv i think. problem is no matter how well you protect it you're still going to get a slight loss of mass as atoms leave the surface though i guess they try to get that at equilibrium.
you get reasonable approximations of a kilogram using molar masses and densities eg, 1 mole of gas is 24dm^3 at room temperature, the relative molar mass of hydrogen is something 1.01... grams, using that and the ideal gas law you could get the 990.099... moles of gas to make up a kilogram. i never really cared much for physics. too much theory
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 5 hours, 1 minute and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

OT="off topic".

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

OT: Why does OT mean "off topic" and not "on topic"? :)

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 17 hours, 16 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

OT: lol. good point

maybe because when you post your supposed to be on topic, and you can tell some one you arent

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

But these threads are also supposed to get off topic after a few posts, so why not have it mean 'on topic' to tell readers that we've gone back to the topic?
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: