Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Just a few questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6508 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Turin: no. Only thing you can do is get the ring first, drop it, kill the cat, then pick the ring back up. By the way, does using wands of trap creation allow you to kill cats safely? the GB says that the PC is still accused of killing the cat if she creates a trap that does so.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Túrin
Registered user
Wildman of the Woods

Last page view:

6921 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 14:19 (GMT -5)

Alex: It is safe to use wands of trap creation. I just got the ring and am currently fighting in a greater vault of fire monsters (running out of nether bolt points). Got 2 RoDS and a wand of wishing (3 charges) so far. I'll probably spend one on spellbooks of Invoked Devastation, but I'm still contemplating whether to wish for spellbooks of Frozen Fury(Ice Ball) or not.
Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5603 days, 19 hours and 59 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure about whether wands of trap creation are safe or not, but I do know that you can kill cats and keep the ring if the ring is in your backpack. You don't have to drop it.

However, even though that gives you a safe way to kill cats, you get a message like "He adhered to the principles of the cat lord but then fell from grace" when you finish. I'd rather just not kill cats at all and get the good message.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Zephyr Offline
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

Alex: You're probably thinking of the fact that if the PC sets off a trap that kills the cat (fireball), you are held accountable. If the cat sets it off, it wasn't your fault.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

From the GB: "Note that in newer versions of ADOM, the PC is charged with killing a cat if he creates or sets off a trap that kills a cat"
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Well I just tested it and monsters killed by traps you create don't show up on the kill list, so I can't imagine that the cat lord would care.
Mellis
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 at 23:03 (GMT -5)

While we are on the topic of the cat lord, what is the most cats you have ever killed in the same game in which you kill the cat lord? How hard was he?

I wonder if it scales up to a certain point and stops? Someone should WADOMF a supercharged wand of wishing, wish for many many cats and THEN challenge the cat lord. I would but, uh, my computer is broken :).
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

According to the monsterdex (IIRC), only the cat lord's HP increase with # of cats killed - something like +30 for each one. So it wouldn't be that much harder, it'd just take longer.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5603 days, 19 hours and 59 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 at 00:29 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I think the cat lord was around the same difficulty every time I've been forced to kill him. But maybe when that happens I've always killed roughly the same amount of cats.

He's a weird monster. Why is it that with SLB's, and over half his speed, he can still outrun you?
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I've also noticed he seems to be impossible to outrun. No idea why.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 4 hours, 24 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 01:24 (GMT -5)

"From the GB: 'Note that in newer versions of ADOM, the PC is charged with killing a cat if he creates or sets off a trap that kills a cat'"

The guidebook is wrong. If you create the trap but don't set it off, you're good to go. I think I even found this in the code =)

"Yeah, I've also noticed he seems to be impossible to outrun. No idea why."

He is quite fast, but I was outrunning him well enough with blessed SLB and ~150 speed.

"According to the monsterdex (IIRC), only the cat lord's HP increase with # of cats killed - something like +30 for each one. So it wouldn't be that much harder, it'd just take longer."

Not quite. It's +10hp per cat, but his level also goes up (which would increase the other stats) for every 25 cats you kill, up to a maximum of level 20. Also note that if you kill large numbers of cats (over about 300) the cat lord will likely only give you 1exp instead of a crapload, because of a bug.

"What exactly does a tract of order do?"

Tracts of Order can be very useful. (The other tracts are not patricularily useful at all). They remove a fairly small amount of corruption at the cost of piety, so make sure you're in decent standing with your god before you try reading one. The main use is to cancel out a particularily nasty corruption. For example, you might read it right after you get the 'stiff muscles' corruption to re-seed the RNG and hopefully get a less painful corruption the next time.

"It's happened that I spend 10 minutes looking for the month I want to play in.
'You are ambushed by barbarians .... You die'"

I'd still call it save-scumming I suppose, but I do think you should be able to choose your birthsign, however unrealistic that is, at start. If you intend to play a wildly chaotic barbarian, you really won't want to be born under tree, for example ;)

"And using fire magic (wands, spells) causes all the trees to go berserk on you. I think lightning magic causes this too, but I'm not sure about it."

IIRC, Fire Bolt doesn't make the forest hostile, but any other fire magic does.
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6018 days, 46 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

Dragons.

Namely Keriax and Blup's mum.

The only two characters that I've gotten to Keriax have been annihilated. Any tips. It occured to me after my last one (yesterday) that I had ammo of dragon slaying. Does this actually slay Keriax or just give a bonus against him.

Curious why people speak of slaying Blup's mum nonchalantly. Using Wyrmlance on berserker tactics it takes me an age to get her down to moderately injured (in the dark). Any tips?
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4939 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Both are vulnerably to dragon slaying.

Blup's mummy can't fight in darkness. Hit her with berserk tactics until she dies. She usually panicks, and it gets hard to kill her after that. But remember that she always teleports to you, if you pick up something. Cast darkness, hit her, if she panicks, drop something and pick it up, and then cast/zap something after her,so she comes back next to you. Zap wands of poison at her, if you have them. I don't know whether she is vulnerable to paralyzation. Use ball spells if you have (only acid/lightning works though) And beware her water breathing attack, it causes A LOT damage. Oh, and talk with Blup (after chatting her) before you kill her. Otherwise Blup attacks you and you can't get R-C-trident. It happened to me once :(

Keriax: Have high Wi or confusion resistance. Don't go there before you are very experienced, if you don't have very good reason to. I usually kill him after I've reached lvl50. Shoot him with dragon slaying ammos. Use ball spells if you have (I think he is immune to fire though). Don't let him breathe anything at you. His breath is corrupting. Don't melee, if you don't have very good damage or at least dragon slaying weapon.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Not sure if I asked this but trying to apply the patch found at

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~houeland/adom/

brings up the message

"Error copying Adom_winbeta4.exe to Adom_winbeta4_fixed1.1.exe.
Error copying adom to adom_fixed1.1.
Patching failed!
Press enter to exit."

I have this patch saved in the ADOM file when i attempt to run it. Any suggestions?
houeland
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

Make sure you actually have a file called "Adom_winbeta4.exe" (for the windows version) or "adom" (for the linux/adom-sage version). There's no patcher for the dos version, and you have to rename the files back to those exact names if you've renamed them for some reason. You also need proper read/write permissions, which shouldn't be a problem if this is your own computer.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

Okay, thanks. I was using 1.1, but not either of the winbetas. Using winbeta 4 now.

It has a really horrible layout(imo) compared to 1.1 though. Colours are different too, e.g. tiny girl is a very similar colour to that of the other Terinyo residents and I just got killed by a large orc thinking it was a normal one. Seems I have to get used to the game again.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: