Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / I have ten minutes to kill.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

So make a wish, right here.
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7315 days, 12 hours and 1 minute ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

I wish for Optimus Prime from the original transformers, not the travesty that is the new version.

What do you Wish for?_
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

I wish for a pair of seven league boots.
Oh, not in ADOM? ok....

How about a scroll of change material?
Oh. In real life? Fine...

Uhm, how about a car? A Ferrarri, to be exact. With lifetime insurance. Yeah, that soudns good.
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

I wish for ...

some billionaires suddenly interested in this plan of our almighty TB-sama: http://www.adom.de/
(note the news on 3/19/2004)

or

World Peace
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 14:03 (GMT -5)

Enough money that even if I lived 200 years and spent a billion euros a day I couldn't spend it all. They say that money doesn't make you happy but it's been statistically proven that rich people are happier (in their own view) than poorer and commit fewer suicides etc. Our modern world so money orientated that you gotta have money to be happy.

On second thought, I could've wished for the world to change so that money would be unnecessary and everybody would be happy without it. Oh well, didn't cross my mind.

I just don't know how to reply in a few lines...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/30/2004 at 14:04 (GMT -5) by J.]
asdon
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

I rather be happy and poor then rich and unhappy. and i don't believe happiness can be purchased :P
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7315 days, 12 hours and 1 minute ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want, whenever I want. Simple really...

What do you Wish for?_
Hubris
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 21:56 (GMT -5)

I wish to know what the Mindcrafter ability Mindshild does.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

Holy CRAP! I wrote a friggin essay. Better make this a different topic.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 5 hours, 9 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

To find a cure for cancer, I think. Because that's the most painful way to die that people usually die from, and all my relatives that have died, died from cancer. (exept for my dad, and two stepdads, who died from a cerebral hemorrhage, blood poisoning, and a gunshot wound, respectively). I guess it would take our average life expectancy up about five years; but we could probably deal with that without a major change in our economy (especially since the long-term care that many people with cancer require would now no longer be a strain on our incomes).

And, besides, if I found a cure for cancer, I'd be sure to get a Nobel prize, and that would be really cool; not to mention that it's a heck of a thing to put on your resume, and I'd never be unemployed, or worry about my GPA (a high two-point-something) not getting me accepted to grad school!

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/31/2004 at 01:59 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 03:08 (GMT -5)

I would lots of AoLS and teleportation+teleport control because I usually fall many times and break things and if I die that would help. Too bad that doesn't help you from dying of old age.

Would anybody like to buy potions of youth and longevity?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 03:12 (GMT -5)

Iridia, if you could cure cancer I think this world would get even more poluted faster because there are more people and also there wouldn't be place for our children. Maybe poor countries won't be able to pay money for retirement because of all the old guys that live longer.
For the Horde!
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 21:29 (GMT -5)

That was depressing, Mewto. Cancer is not a natural cause of death, and it doesn't just affect the old.

Overpopulation is a seperate issue, and one which I really cannot understand. All it requires is that every couple in the world has no more than two children, and everything would be fine. The population would shrink. I mean, I'd be happy giving up MY alloted number of children to someone else.. people who were good with kids could have them.

I would wish for nothing, because I am content. But in the interest of contributing to what, after all, was my own question, I would say uninfluenced wisdom, for all people. To see that most actions people take are not in their own interest, and that if for ten thousand years the wisest of our race have all been saying the same things, it might be a good time to start listening.

For my own part, I hate having my judgement clouded, whether by hormones or by stress or tiredness. That is all.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 8 hours, 32 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 21:43 (GMT -5)

What would i wish for? Personal freedom. Lack of responsibility. Wish i had that setzer quote from Final Fantasy 3/6.

I pretty much mean to be personally unaffected by any laws, contracts, or any thing else i could be held accountable for. Id still keep my morals, but that would mean a lot more doing what i thought was right, not what society deemed.

~~~~

Oh, and i agree with Mewto. The longer the average lifespan is, the more poultion and overcrowding there will be. In 20-30 years i wouldnt be suprised to see some mandatory birth control laws.

Or at least ceilings on how big your family can be. No more of these Hillbillies raising 8 kids when they couldnt even afford the first

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7314 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

I wish for a girlfriend. I wish reach to spiritual sate of mind known as enlightenment.
Also world peace would be my wish for everyone.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 at 22:54 (GMT -5)

I don't think it would actually take the average lifespan up by more than five years... that means maybe a 5-7% increase in population. With cancer no longer a drag on our resources, we could easily support the extra people. Also, the richer countries with the highest life expectancies also tend to have the least problem with overpopulation.

People would still die, of course... but not so painfully and slowly as from cancer.

In poor countries, the life expectancies would change less than in places like America and Europe: People living in areas where the life expectancy is fifty years or even less do not usually count cancer as the chief cause of death. I would expect maybe a 2% increase in population for these countries--manageable, especially with richer countries now able to offer more aid, thanks to resources freed up by less demand for several branches of medicine (i.e., hospice care, cancer research, etc.)

It would cause much change... but, overall, a positive change.

Re. Luke's idea about world peace: What effect would the absence of warfare have on the world's economy? Environment? What about politics? There will always be differences of opinion between countries; how would we solve them without war?

I think we are very far away from world peace yet; to solve *all* differences without fighting would not only be a miracle, but would probably entail major changes in human psychology.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/31/2004 at 22:57 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

I'd like to change my wish.

I wish that I was able to tell when what i was doing was not what i should have/was supposed to do, and to be able to tell what i was doing wrong, in all cirumstances.

It always frustrates me when I screw up and I don't know why, or what I did wrong. Also if I could tell that I was doing the wrong thing I would usually have enough time to fix my mistakes before they caught up to me -- e.g. breaking up with my girlfriend, or marking the wrong answer on that test the other day... I mean, what?

Off topic, a friend of mine said today, "I'm not cheating. I'm using creative problem solving techniques."

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

More people = more money spent = less natural resources =Earth is dying faster.
And Larrack, the truth may be depressing but it's still the truth.
Though I think the same about AIDS as I do about cancer.
iridia, i'm sorry about you're relatives. One of my favourite aunts died of leuchemia when i was small. I think it is a form of cancer in the blood.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 8 hours, 32 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 15:57 (GMT -5)

True Iridia, it would be great if there wasnt such a thing as cancer, ive had a cousin die of cancer, and my mom has it, as does my grandfather.

But still, the effect on the population *As a whole* would be far worse like i said. The money being spent on cancer research and treatment is usually coming out of bank accounts that people saved for an emergency. Or even from people who dont trust banks that stuffed it under a matress.

Aside from the Population increase, if you took this money out of the economy, putting it back under the matress, we would have an even greated National debt here in america, a few cancer doctors might be stuck working at mcdonalds, and we would fall backwards a step.

Problems are needed so that we can overcome them, if something magically disapears from something out of our control, like a wish, then we havent overcome it, we havent learned as a society, and we just wasted a lot of scientific research

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 22:30 (GMT -5)

But would that money go back under the mattress? Or would it go to fund other health research--AIDS, Alzheimer's, genetic problems? I'd say someone who will fund cancer research is probably equally willing to fund someone looking for a cure for Alzheimer's--or, for that matter, someone looking for ways to solve the problem of limited resources on Earth.

As for the money paid to doctors to treat cancer victims: Those people are still going to die, just of something other than cancer. They will still need treatment when that time comes.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 4/1/2004 at 22:32 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7314 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

There's no point in wishing for cures for diseases when the whole world could be nuked at any time. We could settle our differences over a game of scrabble or 'anything' but harming each other, it's simply wrong and evil.
If we pool all our resources from the military which soaks up billions and billions, we could invest into space exploration, advanced police forces and cures for everyting. Once the population starts reaching too much, we'll move to mars! The point is, everything can be accomplished even the things we dream about if every nation comes together and coorperates.
It may not happen, but the possibility of it happening is worth hoping and striving for.

LS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

A united, cooperative world sounds nice... but it's not going to happen within our lifetimes unless something truly wonderful (or something truly terrible) forces it to happen.

As it is, any country (especially the US, which has many enemies) that spends considerably less on its miltary will soon become the target of other countries. That balance of power keeps us in relative safety today. It's not the best way; but I don't see any way to change it, or change it quickly at least. Today's culture doesn't allow for pacifism.

I don't think we're in real danger from nukes right now, though. Anyone who nukes anyone else knows they'll be in serious trouble from either the UN or the country they targeted, or both. It's a no-win situation for the country that decides to nuke someone.

If you ask for world peace, you ask for a change in human nature...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 22:15 (GMT -5)

Let me give you a scenario, iridia. Two small countries lie on one anothers borders. They are both nuclear powers, with the means to deploy long range missiles armed with nuclear warheads. These two countries have a long running border dispute with a small piece of territory that is essential for both to own, both tactically and economically. They also intensely dislike and mistrust each other.

Both these nuclear powers have the ability to target each others military facilities, and easily have a number of missiles with which to do so. If either side were to strike first, the other would never recover enough to pose a threat.

Threat of nuclear detonation, here?

Does anyone think such a place exists? Can they name it for me?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

CHina and India?
Usa and Russia?

For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

I first thought India and Pakistan, but those aren't small countries.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

China and India ain't hating each other that much ... (opinion only ...)

The threat(s) is/are concept(s) built by the US government to let her people believe that the whole world can't be in peace unless America "liberate" all other countries with different political stands with military forces.

But why use nuclear and guns when you can attack others efficiently with electronic/economic/cultural means? *wander off*
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

something like the arabic countries did in the ´70.
That sure scared the crap out of some countries
For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

Nuclear weapons haven't been used since World War II, and then the decision (based on what they knew at the time) was intended to cut the war short and thereby to save lives on both sides.

I think, since we have the examples of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to show us exactly what nuclear weapons can do, we (in general--the world, not just the USA) will consider the situation carefully before using them. Now that we no longer have a huge communist threat (China seems content to use economic rather than military power), nuclear weapons are a much smaller problem than they used to be.

Of course, that's excluding small extremist/terrorist groups; but the chances that they could actually get their hands on a nuclear weapon are next to nothing.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 13:29 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

*pondering*... nuclear weapons haven't been used since WWII ...

but nuclear-waste-weapons are still in use (note the war in Kosovo)

Wars are all dirty. Wars are the gold mines for weapon manufacturers. Wars are potions of charisma boost for hot-head cold-heart fascist politicians.

Morality is too much to ask for ...

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 14:11 (GMT -5) by its author]
illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

Disclaimer: i mean nothing critical against any country ... just despair ...
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: