Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / WHY?!?!?! WHY MUST I DIE!!!!!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Druidus
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

Damn stone blocks, I had an awesome character going, and on ID2 she steps of the stairs and whack! A stone block falls on her head bringing her from 37/37HP to -20/37HP. Damn that sucked, I just stared in disbelief. She had gotten from a pool, lucky, fate smiles, teleport control (she knew the spell), random teleporting, TWO wishes (AoLS and Red Dragon Plate Mail) in a row, and she was acid resistant. I'm gonna cry now, she was only level five!!! ARGRGGGGG!!!!
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

5877 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Sorry, but you should really have been wearing that amulet. Theres really no excuse, unless you were stuck with a cursed amulet at the time.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Many people don't wear the amulet... worn items are more susceptible to equipment destruction than items carried in your pack, especially if you have water- and fire-proof blankets.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7138 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

And yet another excuse is the Preserver as (pre)crowning gift. Sure, those AoLS are pretty cools... but the Preserver is better choice in a long run.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

I completly agree with the preserver point - i often choose preserver over AoLS, but the PC in question was only level 5, so i really doubt preserver had been found at that time :)

I think people are asking to be killed if they don't wear the AoLS if they are lucky enough to find one early, at least till things like stone blocks, pit vipers, vorticies, invisible stalkers etc are not insta kills. IMHO of course.

Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5832 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

I never wear an AoLS if I only have one (Rarely even if I have 2). The reason? AoLS is more worth than a promising character.... let's see: AoLS = 6 SoCR. Wear that AoLS and waste it in a YASD and you'll never recover from it...

Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

Ferret, I *always* choose Preserver over an AoLS. Damn, it's so very good, to the point of being one of the best artifacts out there. I just can't resist the urge to see my character so much more powerful :-) Btw, surges of power, crownings and robbed shops are out there even at lvl 5, but, more importantly, Maastonakki made a very good point. Losing an AoLS to YASD is - to my taste - even more frustating that losing a promising character. Promising characters, after all, are far more common :-)

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Ferret
Registered user
Master Mindcrafter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

I can see peoples point about not wanting to risk it, and i've never actually been "killed" while wearing an amulet so i guess i can't imagine how frustrating it could be. Probably cos i'm soooo much more careful after finding a key item.

When i say i often choose an AoLS over preserver, thinking about it, its not very often. Basically when:
a) Fighting EM
b) Fighting Andy
c) Doppleganger kings
I think thats pretty much it.

Edit: Oh yeah, Cat lord aswell, i try and kill as many cats as possible, i can't be bothered with the ring, and the more you kill, the more exp you get.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 14:23 (GMT -5) by Ferret]
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Ugh, Andy, yes, I can see the point. But EM and doppelgangers are only dangerous to pure fighters it seems to me. I've seen numerous stories of "that DK mimicking me in Coward and tearing me to shreds!!!" but, you know, spellcasters really don't have that problem :-)

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

Preserver is the best, right after bracers of war of course.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Druidus
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

I had a cursed amulet of order (Damn you Tyat Pare, Damn you!). If you have an amulet of order and you do chaotic things (like attacking beggers to become neutral) does the amulet become cursed?
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 15:22 (GMT -5)

Ayla's holy scarf... Preserver... Ayla's holy scarf... Preserver... a hard choise... I would say the scarf is better, just because I am the extremely irritating opposition party amongst the adomists. (atleast I think myself as one..) But nah, Scarf's +10 +10 is really nice... but then again, preserver's resistances.. not to mention the regeneration...

Damn. Okay: I'd take preserver if I didn't have any bracers of war in my backpack, but if I did, I'd go for the scarf...

ahh.. forgive meh, I'm still a bit pissed since adom crashed today when I was playing an orcish priest at Plvl 12, having the emerald dagger and well on it's way to second postcrowning... And, I'm drunk. Damn.. in the middle of the week. Now I'm definite of my "finnishity."

Edit: Clevel.. foolish meh

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2004 at 17:49 (GMT -5) by Maastonakki]
*Majin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

My level 40ish char (human assassin) was wearing Preserver with 2 AoLS in his backpac, he opened a certain tension room and found it full of about 25 great red wyrms.
with about 20 of them constantly keeping me confused and the others pounding the crap out of me i couldn't even equip the Aols...
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 19:18 (GMT -5)

that's just... tough luck, I aint gonna chew bullshit about zapping a wand of monster detection, because no-one does that.. (atleast I don't)... but anyways, tough luck.. dood.. I'm drunk. had do mention that. cock.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

No; the amulet of order doesn't change status if you commit chaotic acts. A cursed one will just pull you towards Law more slowly than those of other status.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

No, Preserver is way above bracers ;-) That {Wi +7} reeeeally rocks. Let's see: herb-scummed Wi of 30 plus Sword of Nonnak plus Orb of Water gives a mere Wi of 45. But with Preserver Wi skyrockets way above that 48 figure :-)

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5774 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

I have never worn Khelavaster's AoLS since the day my Trollish Healer had to go down and explain to him that it had been ripped apart by an exploding door.

If I find another after that, then yeah, I might wear it, but I'd be more likely to wear Preserver or even an amulet of free action if I didn't have the intrinsic. (I don't find AoLS often enough to be sure what I'd do.)

It's also worth noting that they don't protect you from old age or turning into a chaos being.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6858 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

Bah my lvl 6 drakish beastfighter just got cold, shock, petrification and death ray resistance + able to get hawkslayer in a pool. Just to go to next lvl to find a vault with baby red dragons that blasted me to pieces before I could run away. (each breath attack took ~50 hp)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5673 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

BTW, you don't need to get that pool message, you just need to know the password to get hawkslayer(there's also that experience requirement).

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6858 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

Ouh didn't know that :p

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

I've had a couple of characters wearing an AoLS without knowing it, dying and getting resurrected. I usually quit those characters because I get so pissed off for wasting a good AoLS on something else than Khelly.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 1 hour, 58 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Feh, wait till you lose a near-invincible char to andor drakon all because of your STUPID STUPID DAMN MISTAKE ARGH ARGH.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

come on alex, like you said yourself: "it's still as good as a normal ending, right?" :E

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

yeah, well it still says DIED in my highscore and that pisses me off :/

Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

alex are you gonna post it to HoF anyway? (You might have already, haven't checked it yet, so this might be a useless post.. anyway)

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

yeah, when I get round to it.

Alex_
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

submitted.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6999 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

ooo i just read your characters HoF entry, it sounds like your they really kicked arse, such a shame too loose them.

gunna try out that gremlin corridor idea ;)
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

God alive, I went a bit OTT on my story . . . it's nearly 3000 words! the character is Aspero, if anyone wants a long and boring read :)

Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

Well, I doubt there's more ironical way to die than falling to a pit right after saving Khelavaster. That happened to my very promising L13 Wizard - "You fall into a pit. You die..." I couldn't believe my eyes - 100 hit points lost due to falling into a pit!!!

Still, 375k points with a L13 wizard ain't bad.

It was even more frustrating to encounter a game crash right after Khelly had been saved on a dwarven barbarian. Oh well.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: