Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Final Fantasy 6

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 11 hours, 53 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

*The* RPG game for SNES, ever. IMHO that is.

Now over to the question: Does anyone know where I can find a *good* source of FF6 mp3's? I've had a private project going on for about 3 years now trying to get a complete collection of the original FF6 music. That is, no piano-versions or such, but the music straight from the game. So far I am only halfway to a complete collection.

--
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again." - Amys, Aiel Wise One

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours and 11 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2001 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

Dunno about mp3's but I seem to recall some SNES emulator that boasted the ability to record/extract music from SNES ROM files (to WAV files).

If you get hold of something like that you can easily compress the resulting WAV files into MP3's.

The trick I guess, is to find the FF6 ROM (in only have FF1, FF3 and FF5) and a deacet emulator with a record feature (or failing that some other program that can record your PC's WAVE out signals to a file).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
TRB115
Registered user

Last page view:

7835 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2001 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

Well, ZSNES lets you rip the actual song in a format that you can then play with a special program or WINAMP (at least the older versions) with a patch. You could take all the songs and then record them as mp3s (you do have a program that can record stuff as mp3s, right?). Just set the source for recording as the mixer and you should record directly what is playing. I hope this makes sense.

No one touches my Princess!!
LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools.
I, Garland, will knock you all down!!

- Garland in US version of FF1
TRB115
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2001 at 21:53 (GMT -5)

or you could do as Jan suggested and record directly from the ROM, just do what I said about recording (yah, that makes sense :-))

LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools.

Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2001 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

Yeah, those ROM audio rippers work well. I ripped a couple things from Phantasy Star IV that turned out very well.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7925 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2001 at 23:52 (GMT -5)

www.newff.com has an mp3 of "Aria di Mezzo Carrettere" (the song Celes sings in the opera) actually played by an orchestra and sung (in Italian) by an opera singer. And I think it also has a couple of other orchestra mp3s, as well as all the songs in the format used in snes games.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

Isn't that opera stuff in FF3, not FF6?

Hmm, now that you mention it I think I read something about that. Aparently not all the games where translated and released in America (or anywhere else), so does that mean that the English languaged game called FF3 in reality is the 6th game in the series overall or something?

Ugh, this is giving me a headace ;)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

Yes, FF3 = FF6. *Grin*
TRB115
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

Famicom(Japan)/NES(US):
FF1 = FF1 :-)
FF2 = Not released
FF3 = Not released (unfortunitly)
Super Famicom/Super NES:
FF4 = NOT Released in US
FF4 Easytype (No even close to the real version)= FF2 (with a bad translation and the removal of the programmers room :-( )
FF5 = Not released for the SNES, but was part of FFA (with a few changes and F***up sound)
FF6 = FF3 or FF6 on FFA (Same deal as with FF5)
Don't kid me = FF Mystic Quest = TRASH

The PSX games are the same.

LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

Ok, so my FF3 ROM is actualy FF6...

But FF5 was not released on SNES you say? Then what is this game:

Something in the wind...

Our hero and his... eh chicken!?

For some reason my emulator display the title upside down, but it clearly say "FINAL FANTASY V"

Granted this ROM seems to have been "hacked" into English, you ocationaly come across Japanese (I asume) dialogue here and there, all the major plot stuff seems to be translated though).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7898 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

(S)NES emulators are fun! I've played Final Fantasy I-VIII all the way through. The best of the bunch was definitely FF6 (The only game for SNES that comes even close to FF6 is Crono Trigger). I had to download translations for FF2, FF3 and FF5. My version of FF4 was already patched and it wasn't the "light" version either.

There are a few FF translations available and I remember that few of them were really bad.(Not as bad as Zero Wing, but still...) One place you can get translations (& roms, emulators, anything you need) is www.rpg-zone.com

I can't guarantee that the translations are any good. Also when downloading roms & translation patches for them be sure to download the original rom, for the patch won't work for any other version.

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
TRB115
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

You misunder stood my Jan. I said that FF5 was not release on the SNES, only on the Super Famicom (as it is called in Japan). Actually, to be more exact, the SNES and the Super Famicom are not the same thing. Other than the obvious difference of what the counsole says on it, the design of the system AND the cartrages are sightly different. You need to "modify" an SNES to fit SFC games on it (which will play fine BTW). To get back on topic, FF5 was not released in English until it came as part of Anthologies on the PSX (FF4 was part of the Japanese version, but it had problems and was removed from the English version). FF5 was orginally going to be brought over, but the project fell through.

I know I have a full patch of FF5 somewhere on my computer (i.e. Completely translated, no kanji or messed up symbols)

Ahh... Why didn't they release the real FF4. Oh yes, they thought that (Americans) couldn't handle FF4. It was "too hard and complex" (not qouting anyone)

LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

Ah, ok. I had forgotten about that. I knew there was some differences between the Japanese and the "regular" SNES system, but I always figured it was badicaly just on the software side...

So in other words that is the real FF5, and my englich FF3 (aka FF6) is actualy the next game in the series (FF5 seems to have more modern graphics, but maybe that's just me)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

Goodness. The Japanese have a low opinion of our intelligence? They must think differently now, with Crono Cross and FF8 out.

Oooh, I never finished FF4. I'll have to do that one day. Why the heck does it take so many skill points for berserkers to gain class levels, and what the heck does it do? @_@
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

Actually, FF4 hardtype was released recently in the US. It's a playstation game.

Jan Erik, the version of FF5 that you have is an unofficial translation. FF5 was also released for playstation with a different translation. (I haven't actually played playstation's FF5 but from what I've seen of it the snes one is better. in the playstation one, Faris talks like she's from Pirates of the Caribbean.)

And don't call Boco a chicken! ;-P He's a chocobo, the unofficial trademark of Final Fantasy!

Palagran, I think the reason they gave us the dumbed-down version of FF4 ("you spoony bard"?) was because rpgs weren't as popular here then as they are now. And you mean the berserker from FF5? It does nothing, really. It's uncontrollable, has no magic, and only has two levels. But it can equip axes and is very strong physically. Plus it's a cool reference to Norse Mythology (the berserkers were a group of warriors who dressed in animal skins and were known for fighting like they were crazy.)

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7932 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

I like Chocobo Amanda, where can I get one from?

Sengoku
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 at 22:39 (GMT -5)

Amanda Sedai: I wonder the purpose, then. :/ I worked forever to increase my berserker to level 2, and it didn't seem to do anything. That's interesting stuff.

I have a question! In spirit of FF6, I began another game a few days ago, which reminds me... Why, why, WHY is there an arrow made of trees pointing to the dead end east of the weird old man's hut (the beginning of Sabin/Shadow's scenario)? Is there a special monster generated there? Is there a hut hidden in the woods? What? @_@
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

Sengoku, err, they might be hard to get in real life, given the fact that they're fictional. But they're in all Final Fantasy games except for the first one, in addition to an RPG children's game called "Chocobo Dungeons" and a racing game called "Chocobo Racing."

Palagran, no idea. It might just be a coincidence. In the World of Ruin there is a strange formation of trees that you have to go to to get Sabin's last blitz, but other than that I don't remember any trees that were pointers to something.

Warrrk. :-) But moogles (the other FF mascot) are even cooler, kupo!

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

Sabin is that martial arts dude in stripy pants isn't he (It's been a while)?

It always bugged me that some of his attacks where impossible to pull off without a joypad because my emulator only have 4 direction keys, any attacks not containing only straight up, down, left or right combost are just impossible (pressing for example up and right at the same time doesn't work, it checks for indicidual key presses)...

On a completely unrelated note. I eventualy gave up on FF3/6 because I simply couldn't find the last dragon I have to kill. I seem to recall someone saying it was north of some town, but there was nothing there... Now I can't even remember who to talk to in order to get the clue I need (I'm just flying all over the place)...

P.S. Is there any trick to survive the last attack of that dude at the top of the sorcery tower (other than having 10K+ HP...) I've managed to kill him a few times, but his last order of business is always to kill off my entire party.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2001 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Jan: Which dragon are you looking for? Rather, which ones have you killed?

You can survive the tower guy by casting Life3 on your party. You learn this from Phoenix (the esper from Locke's side quest in the volcano). There's a dragon in there too...
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

Well it's been a long while now, I only remember killing the one in the Opera and the one where you find the first esper frozen in ice (a blue one). But I'm pretty sure I have killed 3 of them though, just can't remember where the 3. one was...

Guess the volcano would be a place to start looking...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

A lil trick to do on the mage master (the one on top of fanatics Tower): Cast Berserk on him. That way, he'll only melee ya. And since he's a magic master... ;) Can't remember if this nullifies his Ultima attack at the end though...

Oh and if he has reflected himself, cast reflect on a char of yours and cast berskerk on that char to "bounce by" the mage master's reflect magic.

Regarding the dragons and their locations:
* Snowfields in Narshe (Ice dragon)
* Fanatics Tower (White dragon)
* Opera (Dirt dragon)
* Kefka's Tower (Gold and Skull dragon I think)
* Phoenix Cave (Red dragon)
* The castle you bump into when using Figaro castle as a submarine in WoR (Blue dragon)
* Mt. Zozo (Wind dragon)

Amazing that I still remember all that. :)

[Edited at 17:04, Saturday, October 13, 2001 by Locke]
Locke Cole
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

Oh one last thing: You don't have to kill all eight dragons in order to finish the game, in case you diden't knew. :)

Locke Cole
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

Thanks to all about the tips on how to fix mp3's from SNES ROMs. I thought about that solution once but dismissed it due to my own lazyness. hehe

Oh! I just discovered that I obviously gave the solution a try, since I have a few SNES tunes in SPC format and even some NES music in NSF format. I guess Winamp and LAME'll have some work ahead of 'em... ;)

[Edited at 17:17, Saturday, October 13, 2001 by Locke]
Locke Cole
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

Heeey. Did Jan want to be that spoiled? :O
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 09:26 (GMT -5)

Oh I don't mind. I have a fairly high spoiler-resistance anyway ;-)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
TRB115
Registered user

Last page view:

7835 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 19:24 (GMT -5)

Or you could always run him out of MP (all 50000 of it :)
Wall rings for all (think thats what they were called) and the just rasp/osmoses him (hope you got strong Magic power.)
can take a while, but it work, guarunteed.
of course, you could always do that and get over confident and get toasted by a level 90 magic on the way back down :(.

LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

Killing him is not the problem, his ever changing imunities are anoyig. But as long as you have osmoses to regenerate your MP he's not realy a problem, takes time yes, but that's about it.

It's that special attack he does when he die that worries me. He kills off everyone in the party, even if they have full health in one fell swoop. Guess I'd better run off and get Life3 like Palagran suggested and see if that helps...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6364 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 22:37 (GMT -5)

I guarantee it'll work. What it does is bring back a person after they fall wounded. In other words, you cast it, the person is wounded, then -poof-, they get back up. A very nice spell.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7925 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 23:39 (GMT -5)

Jan Erik, which emulator are you using? zsnes has the option to create keys for diagnol moves.

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: