Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New casting system in 1.0.1?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

I came across a IRC log, where aparently TB participated (might be a fake, but if it is it's a darn good one).

Anyway this line chaugh my eye:

<ADOM-TB2> Rancid-: the casting from hitpoints feature also has been tuned for 1.0.1. In 1.0.1 abusing your mana by overcasting and killing your health also abuses your Mana score. Short term gain, long term loss, so to speak. I'm curious how this will be received.

Sounds interesting, wonder how much impact it will have... I mean if you have enough HP and a healing spell you can pretty much get by with a Ma of 1 anyway. Though a serious spellcaster will defenently think twise about exhausting his PP again because most spells rely heavily on the Ma stat for dammage calculations...

I'm just afraid it will make the early game (even) harder for wizards and other spellcasters. A low level wizard will usualy run out of PP after casting 2-3 regular bolt spells, even more if he was (un)lucky enough to start with Acid Bolt.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
The Runemaster
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 12:02 (GMT -5)

Doesn't matter if a player has enough SP. At lower levels it could prove disasterous though. Imagine having a mage with a mana score of 20 and 100 SP.
When the mana score drops down so do the Sps. Perhaps from 100 to a score like 80!

Not really good an idea.
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7734 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 02:42 (GMT -5)

SP?
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

OTOH, doesn't spellcasting also train mana ? It might not be that bad, after all (depends on how much mana is abused).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

It does, but for low level wizards it's still quite a big deal to get your mana drained 3-4. I for one will have to seriously re-think my early SMC stragety. Running around in there looking for the blanket and the stairs with a wizard is hard if you have to refrain from exhausting yourself (few wizards have more than 30 pp when they start out, and if you are not lucky enough to start with magic missiles that's just enough for 3 castings of most combat spells (even less of spells like acid bolt)).

The early game problems aside, I don't think it will make wizards unplayable or anything. And even if you do get backe up in a corner loosing 2-3 Mana points is preferable to getting killed I suppose. Natural mana increase and kobold shamans and such are pretty plentifull so I suppose it's not a major problem...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Mist_Jonne
Registered user

Last page view:

6288 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

I have played over a thousand diffrent wizards.
(I Love that class and
about a year ago, I (Q)uited the game with a Lv: 50 Human Wizard with the wish spell.
I hade made so many mistakes and still not died that I didn't think I deserved to win, Not even to leave the chain)

Anyway, I remember that the first times I played as a wizard I exhausted myself a lot
And I couldn't figure out why my stats dropped so much all the time. Then a friend told me that exhaustion drained my mana. After that I have always thought that spellcasters are *much* more easy to play than non-spellcasting characters.

(but Ma is anyway not near as important as Le for wizards.
Killing someone is always a winning argument...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 15 hours, 50 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

It took a while for me to realize that this thread is almost 5 years old. Is that what is called thread necromancy? We've got version 1.1.1 now, and the change has been implemented since 1.1.0.

But I will be happy to agree with you that, in fact, Learning is more important in the beginning of your wizard game to get as many castings as possible from your books in the beginning, when you don't get as many. Later on, I guess, you'll need more mana so your power points don't run out that fast.

In the beginning, casting from health should only happen if you're in a real tight spot.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 15 hours, 8 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

In the beginning it's best to level up to around 6 in the first level of a dungeon before venturing out with enough PP to take on most situations. Also, in a tight spot, if you need to cast from HP then so be it - the Mana can be recovered easily enough over time.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: