Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / Quest: Close the Gate

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

"Not more goblins... they are weak, we can't prove our valor with them. What about something formidable? Like skeletons?" Latien tried to work around the goblins, but the barbarian saw that he wanted to trick him.
"It wouldn't prove as a challenge to you, boney guy." Latien frowned at this but decided to hold for now. "And believe me, if you are good, it will be just right for you. If not... well, I could send you out to hunt stone giants."
"Nah, goblins will be very good!" Xel was maybe a bit hasty, but she really didn't want to break all her daggers - and bones - on such powerful beings. Rather the weak goblins then.
With this, they left the clearing to hunt for goblins in the nearest dungeon, which they thought to be to the east, at the road of the High King. It was rumored that there was a very dusty dungeon. Eventually they arrived to a hole, which reeked of death unusual for even a chaos cave. They decided to enter, being very surprised by the fact that the dungeon was not dirty. It was bloody, all the walls were.
There was just one thing the adventurers didn't take into account, and which they didn't realise even now. They were travelling south...

(OOC: The non-descript tunnel could be a quite dangerous place, after all I have encountered shadow wyrms with quite low-level characters. Also don't forget the steel golem before the Darkforge.)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

"Something is wrong about this place, methinks." Cortez remarked.

They proceeded into the next room. A Dark Elven princess occupied the room. Ydreab sighed. The Dark Elven princess summoned some spiders. The battle was short.

The next room was empty. On the way to the fourth room, they encountered three figures, a large rust monster, a baby karmic dragon, and a quickling lord which Ruff didn't even see.

"Ouch, who is that? Something's shooting quarrels at us!"

"Sssrrrkkk!"

"Nothing at the moment." said Latien.

Ruff, Cortez and Ydreab launched missiles at the baby Karmic dragon. Latien tried to deal with the large Rust monster however it still managed to reach the company. Xel'lotath finished it quickly.

"There is no goblins here. The monsters are too dangerous for them." Xel'lotath observed.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

(OOC: Xel destroying a large rust monster? Hm... nevermind though.)
IC:
But the company couldn't even listen to what Xel said. The battle was not really fair, Latien thought, after all they outnumber them, no? But as Cortez shot down the drake, that really quick figure which was shooting quarrels at Ruff started whizzing between them. It brandished a poisoned dagger, a small crossbow in the other hand, a quiver of small bolts on the belt, and something that made him REALLY quick.
The warriors tried to strike the quickling, but they may just as well have been trying to split air. But the quickling realised that they WILL get him, so he decided to try a quick finish.

"How are we going to defeat this guy? We'd better run. And hope he loses interest," Ruff added, as Latien opened his mouth to ask... something.
"We'd better hope something kills the guy and we should try to withdraw and defend till then. I'm sure that something would definitely try to strike the thing down." Ydreab suggested this knowing that the thing would try to shoot them if they'd escape. He needn't have waited though. The quickling started shooting a flurry of poisonous bolts at them, and in 5 seconds, the whole company was suffering from venom and wounds. Except Xel and Latien, of course, who demonstrated their valor to the old barbarian by hiding behind Ruff and Ydreab.
"When's this gonna end...what?" Cortez jumped as he saw a figure materialising from the distance. It shot a bolt of fire at the quickling, which as shooting from a corridor, couldn't flee and got roasted really bad.
Latien jumped out carelessly, and grabbed the quickling lord's corpse. Guess what for? But he didn't watch a steel fist picking him up... the last thing he heard was a dwarvish sneer coming from beside the construct, which he didn't understand, then he blacked out.
Ruff could decipher the sentence though. It was coming from a corrupted dwarf. And...
"What? Perfect servant... that means something really bad! Come on, let's get that big piece of scrap metal!"
"Not feeling so hostile towards necromancers now, no?" Xel'lotath grinned, but she decided to vote a yes too.
But the adventurers still didn't realise that they were facing Kherab's Invincible Army, that they couldn't realistically save the necromancer, and that they were pursuing the golem into Darkforge...
(OOC: I hope you like the twist. Continue it how you feel like, but let's make an interesting part now.)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 at 11:23 (GMT -5)

OOC: Do you mean to kill Latien? Or just almost.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

OOC: Try to guestimate if Latien is my character. *rolls eyes*
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2007 at 12:08 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 12:04 (GMT -5)

OOC: Sorry, its as plain as day
I know, but I still don't get it.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

OOC: Damn, I so hoped you'd post a story NOW.
I don't mean to kill Latien. But of course the old saying "Crap happens" could be true here.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/23/2007 at 09:35 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

OOC: I haven't abandoned this story, I just haven't had time to write a reasonable piece for a while.

IC: They descended the staircase. They were in a small chamber with a single exit. The hallway was lined with steel golems which stirred and turned to face the company.

Ruff analyzed the situation. "Ydreab, hold the entrance! Cortez, we could use some supporting fire."

"We can't hold them off forever." said Ydreab "We will have to retire up the stairs often to defeat these beings."

"Aye." agreed Ruff.

"What about me?" asked Xel'lotath.

"Help when you can but you can't engage them head on and any missiles you use are not likely to be returned to you for quite a while." Ydreab answered

Xel'lotath grimaced.

It was a long time before the company managed to finish the golems.

"Those fiends are worse than any undead that I've heard of in stories or seen with my eyes!" Ruff declared.

They traversed Darkforge until they found a secret door that opened into a large room. In the center of that room stood a dwarf. Or rather, what was a dwarf.

"Kherab!" Ruff voice rose in surprise. "I've heard of him. He cheated a powerful book off of a White Unicorn. When the Unicorn learned of it and took back what was his, Kherab slew him. He only succeeded in evading the retribution by collapsing a tunnel on a Dwarvish child. After which he fashioned many powerful items with the information contained in book provided by the Unicorn. He is evil. We should kill him where he stands!"

Ruff and Ydreab ran at Kherab. Four steel golems stirred and moved to intercept.

"Stop!" Xel'lotath and Cortez chorused "There are four steel golems attacking us and you would force Kherab to attack us as well!" Xel'lotath's argument pulled Ruff and Ydreab back to awareness. The steel golems continued their unnerring march on the four.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/25/2007 at 10:53 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 15:18 (GMT -5)

OOC: Who the hell is Thurgin? Has he paid a visit? :) Otherwise, I don't mind if you don't post every half day, but please tell how often can you post. Then it will be ok. (I can post every 1-2 days usually.)
IC:
"Lucky I have this wand of lightning, eh?" Ydreab snickered after he got back. "Take this, brutes!" And after a few quick blasts, all four golems were reduced to smoldering remains before they could inflict serious damage.
However, Kherab was not that easy to defeat. He calmly walked to the middle one of his anvils. With a button depressed, the anvil turned into a ballista-like machine which Kherab used to unleash a barrage of adamantine bolts at the reduced company, while at the same time three merciless, skull-faced horrors came out from side caverns, with the similar properties to the other golems but with some contraption attached to it... what could its effect be?

"Quick! Run!" Xel's approach was a typical assassin way of solving things. However, it was a very wise way with many threats. Ydreab got to figure out the meaning of the steel horror's machinery though. As the warrior unleashed a last lightning strike at the demonic construct, it automatically drew the blast into a wire, which led it into a crackling orb-like machinery. Then Ydreab could barely evade a powerful lightning blast coming from the orb... it seems Kherab has thought of EVERYTHING!
"Alright, let's make a plan. Xel, I suppose you could figure something. You are the master of stealth here, no? And that's what we need right now."
"Well... look, what is that? Right behind Kherab!"

Meanwhile...

"Okay guys, how long have you been working here?"
Latien whispered the question to his fellow slaves, but with the battle's noises, an other captive, taken by Kherab's machines too, didn't bother to tone down his voice, but rather replied (though they didn't know that it was battle): "Already for half a year."
"And didn't you ever try to turn your products against the master?" the necromancer queried. Surely the slaves would know something of the defense.
"Nah... those metallic beasts would control us then. The dwarf has more..." another slave sighed.
"Well, then, it is escape time, guys. I have a plan, listen up-" Latien was interrupted by a sour laugh coming from another laborer yet again.
"You, necromancer? What are we going to do, hack them to pieces with zombies?"
"Well, let's just say, not really. I have this corpse..."
"Give it to me then, I haven't eaten for a day now. You know how bad it is to live on raw rats anyway?" And so the slave jumped at the quickling corpse which Latien tried to pack out of his bag. As he saw the hungry worker leaping at him, he quickly fired a frost blast to stop him. Just before he could thaw, he made a ghoul out of the corpse. It started buzzing around in the room quickly-REALLY quickly.
"Look, listen. These ghouls can paralyze, you know?" A few of Kherab's slaves nodded in agreement, some must have gotten in close encounter with them. "The plan is to try and paralyze Kherab while we sneak out. He may just be occupied, I heard smithing is noisy. But let's get some weapons first, skinny guy"-and with this, he flicked to the - ghoul. He quickly buzzed out between the bars and brought a saw, an adamantine-shod quarterstaff for Latien, a fine axe, which though made of iron seemed to pierce through Latien's little body armor even just at a touch, a heap of daggers which returned to the owner, for Xel, and a few more weapons and armor for the slaves. Then the undead creature proceeded to cut the bars - he was a quickling, so it was about 5 seconds to do the job.

"And now comes the plan. Hey, quick fella, attack that Kherab guy. Watch out, it seems occupied then but he may still notice you. The others, we will run to that direction," he pointed to the opposite side to which the rest of the party was, "and now...1...2...3...RUN!"
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

--section in progress--

-Maelstrom
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

Ruff and Ydreab were each fighting two of the golems, retreating as fast as they dared. Ruff almost died, but he called upon Morodwyn to help him, and he was healed. Ydreab also asked his god for healing. They managed to retreat out of the room to a defensible position where they fought the four golems. It was only a respite, however, they needed to draw the golems out of the room so that they would not be able to respond to Kherab's soon-to-be-dire need. Meanwhile, havoc reigned in the room. Kherab was hit and paralyzed by the ghul before he could strike out with his vile hammer. Xel'lotath repeatedly stabbed him with daggers. The slaves managed to overpower the other four golems guarding the room, taking them quickly so they only had to face one at a time and did not have to resort to fighting in the hallways.

Then Kherab shook and drew his hammer.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

"Rargh! Nonsense! I could hold out forever!" Feeling safe with one steel abomination still living, Kherab attacked the quickling ghoul, summoned by Latien, and crushed it to dust before it could react. Then the dwarf proceeded to attacking... Xel? The assassin was surprised with a hit to the head, before getting a ride by air to the opposite side of the wall. Then he walked to the slaves, mauling several of them, with the rest running away with Latien. They couldn't stand up anyway.
The golems were now scrap, but Kherab had a tough skin, as tough as dragonhide, and his mighty hammer could match the whole company, probably.

Meanwhile...

"I told you it would be a bad idea to fight them," Latien yelled. "But now the rest of the company-"
"What company?" One of the slaves asked. "I just realised that they are my companions there. But now we should make a plan. Let's explore these dungeons. Kherab will probably slay them all-believe it or not-if they stay, so hopefully they will retreat. Until then we could find the source of the golems, free some more slaves, and possibly have a chance of defeating Kherab."
The other slaves accepted, since they were defeated by Latien's flurry of ideas. After all, months of slavery can make you a bit dull. So they progresed through. On the way they encountered a steel golem, but the sheer numbres defeated it, and Latien's freezing magic that managed to switch off the golem helped too. After the battle, the slaves hacked the golem apart and picked up various pieces, while from among the salvage Latien picked up a crown. He tried it-it fit him well, though it was stuck on the necromancer's head so he had to pour holy water on it, gotten from earlier, to make it useful. He didn't yet know it was the crown of science, all he knew that it is a very powerful item indeed.
On the way back, the small army freed a half dozen more slaves. One of them, named Spaar Tha'cus, a dark elf, had a phase dagger though-Latien tried to "convince" him to give it to him, but the worker didn't really agree, until he boosted the price up to a whopping 1000 gold and another weapon from the arsenal.
At last they arrived. By this time, it was still a stalemate, Kherab chasing the companions in a tunnel. However, two more steel golems came out as the slave army progressed in. The slaves instantly started to chuck pieces of steel at them to try and break the constructs, but Latien just walked to the middle anvil, and sat behind the cannon Kherab forgot to deactivate. A nasty surprise for the evil dwarf, indeed...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1885 days, 19 hours, 33 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2019 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

I know I said I would be back in June 2005. I was running late and am back now. Anyone want to continue? Battle Bunny?
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: