Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / How can one little monster...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6834 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

...be so dangerous so far away from the SMC?

My best character ever, a level 23 Female Grey Elven Wizard, was slaughtered on level 26 of the ID by a SINGLE RED WORM. She had cleared out the entire level and was heading for the down staircase when she encountered the red worm from hell. The damn thing attacked her, and all I could do was wait for the accursed (more) to go away so I could have her teleport, pray, or even attack. No such luck. How humiliating.

My PC was on her fourth trip down the ID looking for a RoDS or AoLS, and had been as deep as level 33 or so on the trip before. It wasn't very often that she encountered any difficult monsters; I just had her attack with melee and use magic on any monster I was unsure of (ie Doppelganger Lords, the Moloch, Greater Mimics, Corpse Fiends, etc), and rarely did she ever go below 40 hp less than max. Irony of ironies, she had just cleared probably 20 or so red worms as well as an additional 20 purple worms ON THE FLOOR ABOVE. I've encountered god-like goblins that wandered down to UD:1 on their own before, but that's just ridiculous.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Knud *
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

I've had this problem too. Normally wimpy monsters dealing huge amounts of damage, for no apparent reason. I've submitted a bug report about it, but I doubt it's reproducible.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

If you get the message "The room is filled with a chilling silence. All sounds are muffled." then all monster hits will deal a lot more damage. It's in the guidebook.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4900 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

I think also the one about the room being scarred with the scenes of many battles. I think it multiplies damage done by monsters by 2-3x or something. Again, in the guidebook.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

That's a possibilty, but I've never had problems with monsters from those rooms before. Even still, I have difficulty believing a red worm could do 231 points of damage in one turn... I could have cried when that happened.

Anyway, I'll probably just stop playing until the next version of ADOM comes out.
Portrait
Aeglos
Registered user
Insanity Lord

Last page view:

6012 days, 19 hours, 31 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Kinda what like happened to my teleporting-cave-fisher scenario character.
While chasing some 200+ speed chaos sister on D:3 some uber-goblin appeared and promtly shredded my elven mail from [+0,+5] to [+0,+1] in a few hits (each dealing over 80 damage).
Had to drink several healing potions, pray a couple of times and finally decided to run away... only to be annihilated by a room full of "very experienced black unicorns" some levels below.
1.1.1 ADOM, "Ancient Domains Of Massacre" ¬¬
Aeglos the Insanity Lord hits you. You become Insane! [M]ore
You become Insane! You become Insane! You become Insane! [M]ore
Suddenly you understand the meaning of everything.
Knud *
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

Like I've stated in the message above:

"for no apparent reason"

That means there was no room effect. A mimic in a shop once hit me for 300 hp's damage.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

Critical hit maybe?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

did the mimic paralyze you?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

On second thought, would a monster have to be in a muffled room in order to get so powerful, or would leaving that room bring it back to normal? The red worm was encountered in a corridor.
XThePKMNScientist
Registered user
X The Pokemon Scientist

Last page view:

7051 days, 2 hours, 1 minute and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 11:03 (GMT -5)

Then you just came across a very tough Red Worm. If you were Cursed/Doomed, it might have something to do with it.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

I was neither. My PC had both the lucky and fate smiles intrinsics, and both were enhanced by items.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4940 days, 7 hours, 19 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Well, the only possible explanation seems to be that RNG REALLY wanted to punish you ;)
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Vexander
Registered user
The Jolly Necromancer!

Last page view:

6995 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

Heh. Yep, it's common knowledge that all computers are possessed, you know! >;-)
Hobgoblins taste like chicken!
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 01:05 (GMT -5)

Speaking of impossible monsters, I met about 36 greater molochs on my way to the EM. After I had killed some 5-6 of them, suddenly one gained a lot of speed, outrun my speed 180 with 7LBs and killed me. The thing managed to hit me two turns, and before I knew it, I was dead. Luckily I was wearing an AoLS. It still was too fast, so I teleprted away, and later it was just a slow, common GM. Why did it become so fast? Did it drink a potion of boost speed or something? I checked my last messages, but nothing hinted such. Was it only a bug?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5686 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

That has happened to me too. A greater moloch five squares away equipped a moloch armour, and suddenly the next turn I had -200 hps.

Bah
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

Hey, it DID equip a moloch armour, now that I think of it. Is it a some kind of bug?
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5686 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 03:22 (GMT -5)

Probably. Since the moloch armour gives a huge decrement to speed, and the greater moloch has such a low speed from the beginning, my guess is that the monster ends up with negative speed.

I've posted a bug report on it.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Zephyr Offline
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

Has anybody ever actually USED the Moloch armour? I mean, it does give you a bonus of 50 to your PV. That's good! It also gives ~-15 to melle hit, ~-30 to missle hit ~-15 Dex, and ~-25-50 spd. I'm to lazy to look up the actual stats, but I know thats bad.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

Not me. But I have sometimes used it to get that -20dx and then ate ancient blue dragons for more dx.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 20 hours, 33 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

The stats are (-8,-16) [-30,+50] {Dx-20} (-20 spd) in the guidebook. It also gives immunity to fire. I don't think it's all that bad. You can work around some of the negatives that come with the armour.

It suddenly becomes more appealing if you can smith. [+5, +50] sounds much better than [-30, +50] doesn't it? It's pretty much impossible to improve other armours as much with smithing as the moloch armour. The -20 speed is also questionable. It's easy to gain 20 speed from the bug temple. Depending on your dexterity, the negative dex bonus might not be as big as -20, as you can get a 25 dex with herbs.

The 15000s weight is the biggest problem IMO.

BTW, einherjar, sure it was a worm and not a wyrm? ;) OTOH, I've been hit by a gremlin for 2000000 points of damage before...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 1/16/2005 at 10:46 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

My character was Minerva in the Untimely Deaths section of the HoF. See for yourself.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

"The -20 speed is also questionable. It's easy to gain 20 speed from the bug temple."

Do greater/claw bug corpses increase your speed? I thought they only lower your Wi and increase your Dx.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

"Eating a killer bug corpse also increases speed, gives +6 Dx and -12 Wi"

From GB.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

That's definately a bug.
Red worms' fire attack usually does about 10 or so hp damage to a character without fire resistance, tops, and that one did 231 damage to a character with 4 sources of fire resistance, plus intrinsic.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6994 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Perhaps it's done by biting ^^
Twinge
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

It happens. I've had something similar happen before... I wasn't paying much attention, just clearing out some purple worms that spread quite far, none of them had been a bother. Last time I looked down at my hp it was maybe 5 form max. a couple of turns later, "You are dead." I think it was 2 critical hits in a row on seperate turns, I forget exactly. Not a bug; just hate from the RNG. Although, one other possibility; did the worm decide to fight to the death in a blind rage?

Now, onto the other comments... spoily and such. Doesn't seem you guys are using spoiler space here, but the newsgroup has ingrained it into me so I might as well.

Muffled rooms do indeed cause a massive increase to damage, though this obviously wasn't the case for this specific experience if you were in a hallway... 10 times more damage to be exact.

Greater/Killer Claw Bug corpses do indeed give you speed directly. When I decipher all the corpse effects, this was one of the more interesting points I found... GCB give you a chance for +2 (the higher your speed the less chance, anything over 160 is very low chance) and KBs give you +4. That's about equal to a quickling and a quickling lord, respectively. Because of this, I don't even bother with the quickling tree anymore personally.

Moloch armors can be used to train up both dex and speed higher than you normally could. That bug minus to dex means you can train up dex with herbs again, and when it gets to ~26 while you're wearing the armor, take it off and you then have a happy 45+ dex. (There are other methods to scum this up, of course, this is one of many.) The weight is best delt with by casting Strength of Atlas while having a high mana stat.

Molochs equipping Moloch armor is a known bug. We assume it works as such: their speed gets so low it wraps around and thus becomes extremely high. The same thing can happen the other way for how much experience the cat lord can give you. If you kill enough cats, it gives you so much experience that it actually wraps around and you get only 1exp instead (it would be negative, but it's rounded up to 1 I guess).
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

Not to mention room effect, the more worm you kill, the more powerful they are. I usually see green worms deal over 200Hp and damage amour in Big Room.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 22:55 (GMT -5)

One turn the red worm wasn't there, and the next I was dead. I didn't see any other red worms on that level, and I easily killed about 30 red worms on the level before.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: