Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What the hell....??

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

6912 days, 42 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

Hey guys, someone tell me what just happened.
Hey guys, someone tell me what just happened.
Here is the sequence of events-
1. I load a save-scummed file (Yeah, i know, so shoot me!)
2. I get the message "You suddenly feel you've run out of luck"
3. I don't know what this means, but guess what, my ENTIRE inventory just got cursed.
4. About to quit, i decide to play just for a little while longer.
5. I sacrifice a lesser demon on my L alter
6. I get some xp out of this, so i gain a lvl.
*Fine till now*
7. I about to continue after deciding my skill advances, i realize i've gained another lvl.
8. And another
9. And another
10. So on till i gain 16 LEVELS. I go from 27 lvl wizard to 43 lvl one. I've just got 6988157 xp out of saccing a single lesser demon.
11. Ecstatic, i play on....and get killed by a lone red worm after 7-8 turns.
What happened there??
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5836 days, 41 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

1. You may have lied( no offense)
2. You are very lucky.

I just want you to know that sacced monsters give ca. 10-100 exp. Dunno What you have.
For point #3, it had happened to me, but then my inventory was shot to different parts of the map.
For point #11, it is possible if you got the message about 'silence, all sounds are muffled'
upon entering the room. Because then monsters get an insane attack bonus.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

"2. I get the message "You suddenly feel you've run out of luck " "
That message means that you've messed with the .svg file. The rest might just be the effects of changing the save file.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

Battle bunny: i am not lying. Also what you were saying about inventory being shot all over the map is true, it happened to me once, too.

Another question, what should i wish for?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Try to search for threads about what to wish for, there is already plenty of them here
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

sharzegr80-> Just a few suggestions here

Pairs of seven league boots
Amulet of life saving
scrolls of chaos resistance
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

Thanx.
Next Q.
I'm sort of a noob to ADOM, i've only played a human wizard. All the others i try keep dying early. I wanna know a good race/class combo for a new character, possibly trying for my first ever Ultra Ending ;).
I've looked into other threads for this, but not really been satisfied.The thing is, i'm grown so comfortable using magic i can't live without it(literally in ADOM!). So my char has got to be a good spell caster (maybe 65% aligned towards magic, 35% melee).
Also, is archery an alternative to melee, or can I use all three (magic, melee, missile) & excel in all?
Having read the manual, the classes that come to my mind r Palladins. What other classes are possible, & with what races?
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:33 (GMT -5)

I've never tried to tinker with a svg file before so im not sure on anything i say. However, ill take my best stab at what happened.

1) Game detects youve been screwing around in a manner that it doesnt deem appropriate. (i.e. svg editing)

2) Message "run out of luck" is generated.

3) As a result, inventory is cursed and all monster exp levels are set to an insane numbers. (im not sure if monsters have level caps, but lets just say level 999) This is meant to quickly destroy your character.

4) You sac a monster, which IIRC actually gives you a small % of exp (of what the monster would be worth) rather than a steady 1-100 number.

5) Since monster levels are extremely high and powerful, that small % is a LOT of exp.

6) You level up insanely.

7) A level 999 red wurm whacks you.

8) Coupled with a cursed inventory, high monster power, and the fact that you most likely got the cursed/doomed intrinsics with it, you die.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

Paladins are my favorite class :) But everyone has their own opinions, im just a huge Dark Elven Paladin supporter.

Indeed, if its as you described, i play paladins as a caster/melee mix with some proficiency in a missile weapon.

As a general suggestion, even if you play a purecaster, always try to keep melee and missile proficiency. It will come in handy. Since this is a nonspoily forum, ill just leave it at that.

You really should try for a regular ending before an ultra, just to get a feel for the later stages of the game. (Have you finished a reg. ending? doesnt say)

sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

Lord Fred, i haven't yet finished a reg end. I'm trying for just that right now with a human wiz. BTW, my wizard's pretty proficient in melee. I'm upto lvl 10 in swords, & lvl 8 in shields ;).

Also i wanna ask, should i look to (for my next char) lvl up in many types of weapons, or should i conc on one weapon only, like i've done now. I now have to do without many good weapons, like the crowning gift (staff of Archmagi) & other artifacts (rune covered trident, Executor), and Sw. of Nonnak doesn't look that good now.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 10 hours, 18 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

Missiles are always good to train some in.
skill 5 or 6 in bow & crossbow is easy to get and enables you to take advantage of slaying ammo. Very useful!.

N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6891 days, 5 hours, 23 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Archers can make good 3-way PCs, namely the elven kind. They're not so good with magic, but can start with literacy and concentration. Monks are good, too.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

LordFred, Max monster level is 110. Still insane, but there's no lvl999 monster.

Weapon skills: Well two suggestions here-train a melee skill, or a missile and a melee skills. Archers too, or else the 1st doplord might kill you.
And I agree with Molach.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
sharzegr81
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

Thanx
Next Q(i hope i'm not boring u all with my noob questions!)
What are the exact requirements to get into the bug temple. GB saays 100 PC deaths, but i've already got that & still can't get in. Can someone spell it out for me??
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Battle Bunny: The limit for normal monsters is lvl 110, but I remember reading on the RGRA that the Demented Ratling doesn't have the same limit, (when he is fed artifacts he always gains 10 levels) so it might be possible to get monsters with levels greater than 110 if you run out of luck.
sharzegr81: You must have 100 started games, not 100 deaths (correct me if I'm wrong)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

Battle Bunny and Morio: Are you sure about the monster level cap at 110? I am really sure I saw a level 125 AKW when developing my archmage.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

I thought:
100 entries in the high-score table. They do not have to be deaths, but you would need a positive score to get in.
Any character started BEFORE you filled up the list will not EVER be able to enter the bugville, even if you fill up list later with other characters. So you need to start a new char to check it out.

If the above is not the case:
Mabye you need 100 deaths in the list. But then again I though that nr. 101 got wiped away, so once you get a winner there that is hard to wipe off... so yeah Im pretty sure what I said in 1.paragraph is correct.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

Unless you've seen it with a blessed stethoscope, Gozer, you can't be sure.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

Right now i'm playing a lvl31 Wiz. Is it just me, or is levelling a LOT more slower. I mean, i know that higher levels req more xp, but this is ridiculous. I've already done the fire, water, air temples, and i'm really keen to reach lvl 36 to get the rune covered trident. Any sugestions to lvl up quickly??
sharzegr8
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Hey guys, have any of you been this lucky with weapons??
Firstly, i had lvl 9 in swords. Then i thought i would switch to polearms to prepare for the rune-cov. trident. Immediately after my decision, guess what were the next three weapons i found?
1.halberd of defence (+7, 2d7+4)[+18,0]
2.halberd of devastation (+9, 6d7+12)
3.rune covered halberd "Wyrmlance" (+15, 4d8+10)
GREAT!
After a while i noticed i had picked up two daggers. Guess what the turned out to be?
1.Phase dagger
2.Emerald dagger "Serpent's Bite"
ADOM loves me!!
So now i'm literally spoiled for choices. What weapons should i go for? Right now i'm dual wielding the two daggers. Seeing my luck, if i decide to switch to any other weapon i'll again get an artifact!
So what should i do, use swords(sword of Nonnak+shield), polearms(devastation/defence/Wyrmlance) or daggers(phase+Serpent's Bite).
Also, i would really like an answer to my xp question(see above).
Thanx
Sharzer8
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 10:50 (GMT -5)

I'll go with serpent's bite and a shield. Dual welding isn't worth it if you compare energy, its even worse for a wizard.
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

Above post was mine, pasted wrong name.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

Xp: Do earth temple, good exp there.
Especially if youre slow
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

Was there a formula for speed and XP posted? Search is tricky on this forum due to those YA posts.
sharzegr81
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

I've got some more q's

1.Which race(s) is/are the FASTEST at levelling. We all know that trolls level slowest (i compared them to other races and found they take on an avg 3X xp to level up than the next slowest race, GE).

2.What all decides how many skill/talent gains a PC can have after every 1 level/3 levels? My current lvl 32 human wizard is getting 5 skill & 1 talent gains, whereas i had another char (i forgot which one) that had 7 skill & 4 talent gains by the time he was lvl 6!!

3.What does it mean when it says "The ---- shrugs off your ---- spell". I know it does not mean it is resistant to the spell (or it would say "The ---- resists the ------")?

I did't find the GB too helpful on these q's.
(I wanted 2 start a new thread for these q's in spoilers section, but somehow can't seem able to do so, something wrong with my comp probably)
naiyor*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

It may just be me, but I think that gnomes level the fastest. sometimes only 50xp to reach level 2. hurthlings seem to level quite quickly.

2. dont quite know the exact calc.

3. It seems to me that that message means that the foo has some resistance NOT immunity. so eventhough you are getting that message you may still kill the foo.

thats about all the help I can provide...not much eh! :{
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6635 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

race: gnome are best.
class: dont know (see below)
attribute: learning help

Shruging off is monster's specialy. It means both immune and evades. see guidebook for details of immunity.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

1. As said, gnomes&hurthling level very fast, orcs level pretty fast too.
2. You get 1 talent every 3 levels, and one on char creation AND aditional starting talents from your race (hurtlings and gnomes again), your class (bards and farmers), your birthsign (candle&falcon), high mana score, and if the sum of your stats can be divided by 7, you get another.

Skills per level are Learning based. The base is 3 per level. You get one more at Le:15 and then one more per 2, 3 or 4 (can't remember) point of learning. Also your birthsign might grant you one more (Book and Cup).

3. It means the monster isn't hit by your bolt. The more powerfull the monster and less powerfull your spell, the more it will happen.
And NO it doesn't have anything in common with immunity and it isn't a special ability. Every monster can shrug off bolts, if it is powerfull enough.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/2/2005 at 08:48 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
marcos
Registered user
High Elven Ranger

Last page view:

5578 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

2. You get additional skill increases at every 5 points of Le, IIRC.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6819 days, 4 hours, 23 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

2. not quite sure about this, but don't you get more than five increases with Le: 22-24...? and i'm almost sure that while my skill increase rate was 9/level, my Le was below 40, and as i got it to 41 or so my skills started to improve at a rate of 10 increases/level. so the rules above are not 100% proper, or i'm not sane at all;)
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help