Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Music -the most powerful skill

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3584 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

Music is actually a VERY powerful skill. I usually play priests, which get this skill, and train it to 100 asap. Once you find a musical instrument you can tame cats! Easy ring of master cat, baby!

But you can also tame giant dragon turtles! Explore the shyssiryxiys's cave until one appears, tame it, train it a bit and it has 3 attacks and does 100-300 damage! Isn't that cool? If it becomes hostile for some reason you can just tame it again! With two or more giant dragon turtles you could even kill the orb guardians! And because priests find a lot of healing spellbooks they'll never die!

And not to mention greater claw bugs!! These babys have 8 attacks and do 10-80 damage THROUGH ARMOR. They can even kill steel golems!! and if you wanna rob a store just bring like 3 claw bugs and it's bye-bye to shopkeeper!!!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

Poll!

Do you agree that music is the best skill!
Yes  No
Check results

Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

It's a powerful and useful skill, indeed, but it's not the skill of all skills.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

Uhhhh . . . why would you want an uber-powerful pet that takes all of your experience and presents a massive risk should it ever turn on you?

Personally I always found ordering pets/companions/slaves way too laborious. But music has proven useful when trying to evade sticky situations (usually involving cats).
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6633 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

I solo all the way. Evading cats is not a prob to me after years of playing. Spending a turn with more than 5 clicks is too much work for too little gain >.<
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6368 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

I've always found it to be too much effort to use Music and keep companions. I don't even bother trying to get the RotMC. The experience you get for killing the cat lord is very nice, too.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5833 days, 23 hours, 46 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 04:56 (GMT -5)

Echo, yes, but if you can defeat a giant dragon turtle, then why? But of course you don't have to keep cats, tame a strong pet, even a good trained large jackal will do, and that will hack off cats without effort!

However yes, as long as the exp-sharing isn't invented (hope it will be for 1.1.2), pets won't be far as important as if exp would be shared, since you can use pets to get rid of cats/dangerous monsters, but you won't be better from ordering your army around.

You'll be sniped by an emperor lich when pets let a hole between them to you :P

Edit: Oh and btw:
"If it becomes hostile for some reason you can just tame it again!"
Unless your uber trained GDT doesn't whack you down with his 3 GCW dudes.
And I wonder if GDT can come out of water.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/22/2005 at 04:58 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Yap it can come out of water. Hmm, wonder if sharks can?
cobalt
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

ive tried training creatures from that water cave before with a dark elf bard full music and never could tame one. strange. maybe you need certain instrument? wouldnt be surprised if dif instruments could make easier/possible to tame certain creatures... though i think it woiuld be dificult to play most of the instruments in adom underwater inthe first place ;) and i agree easy to avoid cats music is just kinda handy. maybe a quickling could distract monsters with hit and run and leave you to beat up on it but i never saw the point in them,
THOUGH this one time (at band camp) i found a chaos wizzard figurine of wonderous power and MAN was that amusing!!!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

I hardly ever mess with minions. But if I happen to find a scroll of Familiar summoning.. Off to the Dwarven Halls I go!

Greater Earth elementals kick some butt. But you're certainly screwed when they turn on you!

Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

I got a scroll of familiar summoning and got a greater earth elemental in DH:2 just like you said. I was playing a gray elven wizard, and trained the elemental to "extremely experienced" and it was like I am his companion, not the other way. He cleared the temples, frost giant vaults, and even a titan tension room which appeared in like D:40-41. I was clean lv 26 when I finished the game :)

The point is, that familiar summoning is way too overpowered(IMHO).
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5994 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 07:47 (GMT -5)

Oh really? Did you ever think it migh turn hostile? And what then? Lvl 26 char against 'very experienced' greater earth elemental hasn't got even a slight chance - just running.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 7 hours, 12 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

-Sorry for the unregistered thing, forgot to login-

It doesnt turn hostile if you dont make it to. Most mistakes come from playing very hasty; I played carefully, often casting Farsight to make sure a long range magic missile dont bounce and hit him and such. It takes a little more time that way, but thinking the speed I advanced the levels with my overpower companion, in the end it turned out that I saved more time.

P.S: Do you know the experience range of "extremely experienced"? I never got a chance to figure it out.

Edit: But I must admit that the D:50 was somewhat hard.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2005 at 08:55 (GMT -5) by Asdas]
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

Why didn't you read another SoFS there then?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 7 hours, 12 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

I did, but the countless very experienced masses of primal chaos corrupted my emperor lich beyond recognition(before he killed a dozen or two, but nevertheless). And that was the last SoFS I had.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 18:25 (GMT -5)

Hmm... Poor Lich. :'(
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Damn hard to kill when you want to kill them, damn hard to keep alive when you don't want to kill them...

DAMN LICHES!

Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 18:54 (GMT -5)

Hey, why? I've heard here before that the ultimate undead companion is a 'Quickling King Lich'. - Extreme speed, spellcasting and amazing regeneration rate. However, that only works for necrophiles..err..necromancers :)
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5833 days, 23 hours, 46 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Even a Quickling King Zombie could kick butt if it would use the normal Q tactic (hit a lot then go back one space)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
sad the archer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

as i was plaiyng a gnomish bard i tamed a couple of fire beetles on lvl 1 and a rat and a giant raccon i had initially.
they all were fighting hard and successful BUT what about my own XP ?!
and finally it is not so easy to keep them all in order. and i had to wait few turns for them to get to another dungeon level (upwards or downwards) or to leave an area in wilderness. and if i get my speed up companions eliminate all the profit.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

2 is enough. 3 is a crowd.
My RL dumpyard:

amh
Registered user

Last page view:

6772 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 03:46 (GMT -5)

music is also usefull when fighting large amounts of monsters.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

I bet literacy against music.
Literacy gives you ability to read SoFS - wich often beat music, cus might give you something untameable (like greater earth elemantal, heh).
Then, it gives an access to second in power anti-corruption measure - SoCR! (first is still an unicorn quest).
In addition - literacy gives you ability to *write*, and having it, you potentially can learn *any* of the skills including music.
And dealing with cats if you don't have music is quite simple - wizard can 'calm' them, all chars with 'long stride' +athletics and/or high Dx and/or Raven sign and/or some speed talents simply outrun them.

I would add to this, that Food Preservation is much more useful than music. But that's another story...
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

Outrunning them? Nice hint. Try this if you find yourself blocked in a doorway by cats on BOTH sides.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Dedicated to Silfir:

Did you look into your inventory? By the ime you got surrounded from BOTH sides you have a 90% guarantee of having A WaNd Of DiGgInG!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn. When you get surrounded - pause and browse through you inventory, reading a blessed ID scroll - PoEX, potion of confuzion, berzio potion, scroll of teleportation a tough spellbook which can teleport you away, wand of stunning, paralyzation, 'calm monster' spell, SoFS, RAT CORPSES!

Silfir, and what if you get that damned 'muuuuzik' skill with Drakeling, or Priest (mindcrafters don't need it due to guaranteed confusion bolt) AND DON'T FIND EVEN A WHISTLE? Eh? Whaddayasay?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

Silfir: Sometimes you just have to give up your dreams, it would seem.

Nchurmdaz: Whoa, easy there..

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/30/2005 at 13:02 (GMT -5) by Sargoth]
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

:)
I just sometimes don't undestand people who are implying exceptions as generel rules.

You know, for example, how many characters of mine were killed before achieving level 6 by stone block traps? Something like dozen. In the mean time, I didn't become paranoid about going to the wilderness and reaching level 7-8 there killing jackals without a risk of being killed by a block.

And during all my gametime I cannot recall more than two cases when I *was* surrounded by cats without *any* means of dealing with them. I was always able to *outrun*, **calm**, exhchange, stun, confuse, feed, teleport, etc. And suddenly I'm told about a very rare situation, that is, abscence of way for flight and any other means except music+musical instrument.

Most cats are killed when a player (the one sitting in front of compoter) doesn't fuly realise what he/she is doing. That is, casting long bolts, accidently killing in the dark, creating a trap, accidently pressing extra movement key...

I must only add, that having intrinsic music+musical instument+being caught by hordes of cats from all directions+having no other means of dealing with them is a very rare situation. And taking it as a rule is thoughtless.

I simply had too much of this 'conversational trick' in my life, and thus react harshly on it.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5891 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

I hit a wildcat vault once... wasn't pretty... one case where it would have been nice to have the Music skill :P
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 05:21 (GMT -5)

The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat.The wild cat attack the wild cat. You feel confused.
My RL dumpyard:

Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

If it were possible to musically tame doppelgangers, even I would be pretty confused after a while...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: