Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / bugs and abuse thereof

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 hour, 4 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

I was made aware some time ago that there are some characters in the HoF that have openly "admited" to abuse bugs in the game (I just keep getting distracted so I haven't done anyting about it yet).

I know I've said somewhere that I think willfully abusing bugs is cheating, but I have aparently not made this clear in the "policy" of the HoF. So I figured I'd check with the "cominity" (such as it is) wether or not you agree with this definitoin.

Basicaly I know of two characters who clearly state that a bug have been "used". Spesificaly I'm talking about the piety overflow bug, where you basicaly keep pissing off your diety untill your piety becomes positive due to a integer overflow. An angry god will fire energy bolts and summon monsters at the PC, but there are fairly easy tricks to minimise the dangers (darknes and/or wands of door creation + enough HP), and so basicaly any low level character can just pop into the ID, tick of his god a lot and with some patience get "unlimited" pre-crownings with no real risk. I think one of the characters in question had 13 pre-crownings (meaning 13 free artefacts) by this method... It might not technicaly be tampering with the game, but I'd hardly call it a feature...

It is a somewhat gray area though, some characters can benefit from bugs unintentionaly, and some minor bugs might be mistaken for features and so on. I think "no willfull abusing of bugs" would make a good addition to the rules though (including the retroactive removal of characters known to have "violated" this).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Should characters that are known to have abused bugs be removed from the HoF?
Yes  No
Check results

hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 05:23 (GMT -5)

you'd need extreme tactics to get 13 precrownings. practically, one could get 2-3 with overflow piety.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5835 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

Exactly in some sitouations how would you know if it was "willful" or not?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 hour, 4 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

Knowing when it was wilfull or not is naturaly near imposible, but then it's also near impossible to know wether someone save scrummed or not. But at least having it as an official policy would prevent "honest" players from submiting characters when they know they have taken advantage of bugs to get "unfair" advantages.

As for requiering extreme tactits, that's true, and both characters in question are "challange games" (collect all artefacts and "speed win") done by a very experienced player who knew exactly what he was doing. It's hopefully not very common.

These two where the ones pointed out to me (the player leaves no doubht that the use of piety overflow was part of a planned strategy to acomplish these challanges):
Ayukawa
Blitz

But as you say, policing wether or not some bug have been abused at some point is near impossible, so it's realy a question on wether or not honest people who admit using bugs should be singled out. Then again that's pretty much how the "no cheater" rule is enforced anyway...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3585 days, 21 hours, 4 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

Getting overflow piety needs some skill, so they earned their precrownings and therefore should not be removed from the hof.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5835 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Overflow piety is really not so hard, just as hearter pointed out, you need extreme strategy.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 3 hours and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

Overflow piety is a bug. "Overflow" is in programmers language what happens when an variable is assigned a value beyond the scope it was made for and therefore something unforeseen happens. In this case, a very negative number suddenly becomes very positive (it might just as well have crashed the game ?OVERFLOW ERROR from C64 anyone?). So they do not "deserve" the precrownings they get.
(To get 13 they would still need to advance high in level without generating other artifacts though, this is also very challenging)

However, in my opinion they could be in the HoF as long as they put down (in the Story/Edited .flg) what they did. It's fun reading about the lengths people can go to, and mabye learn some new tricks. (Like carrot room scumming, never seen that before)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: