Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Question regarding a red worm!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

QuantumBinary
Registered user

Last page view:

6832 days, 19 hours, 10 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 05:23 (GMT -5)

Question for you folks out there that may know the game a tad more than I do...

1) Level 23 Priest, Fire resistant, Elemental Gauntlets, Blessed ring of Ice (to protect my gear against fire attacks) and 3 fire proof blankets.

2) Made doors and locked in an area to harvest red worms.. (I could get 1500 sword marks in 2-3 minutes this way). <grin> I increased my sword mark from 5 to 9 in no time. On occasion (rarely), one would hit through my armor and do a few points of damage (my DV/PV was stupidly high). Now, one red worm comes along, does three criticals and I go from 207 HP to -186? I was not asleep, I had nothing but a red worm ahead of me, I always kept myself well fed and fully healed.

Any explanation on what could do this? I'm thinking that the game must of generated some odd type of Red Worm hero to teach me a lesson; This is the only guesse I can fathom.

Anyone else every run into this odd type of sudden death? Just curious as to what may have caused my death... (so I don't repeat the same mistake).

Thanks,

QuantumBinary
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5693 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

It is a common bug, weak monsters doing massive damage. I've had characters taking hits worth over a thousand points on several occasions. A real bummer!
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3586 days, 2 hours, 7 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

When you kill lots of monsters of the same type, they get more and more powerful. If you've killed like 1000 jackals they are tougher than molochs! This is known as the uber-jackal bug.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5693 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

It's probably two different bugs. I once had a character killed by an earth elemental (first one encountered in that game) for over 800 points of damage. I don't know which one of the bugs Mr. Binary suffered from though.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1234 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

You could have been cursed or doomed, your equipment could have been destroyed over time without you noticing, therefore reducing your PV as well. And yes, survival of the fittest. Monsters "Evolve" the more you kill them, they level quite fast and get dangerous.
Mellis
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 21:43 (GMT -5)

Actually I seem to remember on more than one occassion someone posting either here or on the newsgroup, or even savegames in the HoF, that this bug occurred to them, and it was a red worm in question that caused the super-killing blow.

Maybe certain monsters have a odd tendency to do this, some more than others?

In any case, about scumming for weapon marks: I wouldn't suggest red worms, but rather gremlins. My favorite way to do it is to go the the Gremlin Cave, pick up a fluffball, go to D:9 (for no corruption), create a water trap, and activate it until it hits the fluffball and spawns a whole bunch of gremlins. Note that this can take many activations of the trap in order to succeed, and may wash away scrolls and books or rust items susceptible to rust.

Once the gremlins are spawned, navigate to a corridor and proceed to allow them to spawn. Then, press ctrl+k to turn off the necessity to hit space or enter to scroll [more], hold down the arrow key, and watch those HP's.

By the way, ctrl+t activates traps, in case you did not know.

I prefer gremlins to scum for equipment since they have relatively good drops. Conversely, I would not recommend red worms because they don't seem to drop items and they have the probability of item damage.
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

(Just another lurker speaking...)

This sounds too familiar... A battle bunny did the same to me. I had killed over 700 of them, so I guess this is a risk you just have to deal with after killing ridiculous numbers of several monsters.

ADOM is always risky to play, isn't it? (That's what I like about this game, and hate at the same time.)

(Lurker shutting his yap and leaving...)
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 15 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
A nicer idea for gremlin scumming is to do it on the surface level of the Dwarven Graveyard.

Learn the patten in which traps are generated (its somewhere here in this forum, or on ADOM GB) and create a pit trap on the corresponding space with a pickaxe or wand of digging. Cover it with a blanket. It is now a water trap. Use the fluff ball etc.

using the room in the middle, fight one gremlin at a time. Its the same concept, except with a higher danger level, the items will be nicer, especially if you are pickpocketing gremlins before killing them.

BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6516 days, 17 hours, 32 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

I just had the same instance happen with a battle bunny. I was on 157 hp (about 4 under max) and all of a sudden I'm at -207. I'd only killed about 30 or so BB's.
You die...
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

6686 days, 3 hours, 44 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

I find that the easiest way to guarantee gremlins is to make a water trap as described above, then simply stand near it and dip your fluff ball into a potion of water (not sure if it works with other potions? booze?) Hey presto - lots of gremlins who then wander into the water trap to produce - lots more gremlins. Ad infinitum
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4077 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

Wield the fluff ball and enter the water trap repeatedly until it transforms into a bunch of gremlins. This will save you a very precious potion of water :) (Don't forget to put off all your equipment vulnerable to water, cloaks and iron-made stuff spring to mind, and have a waterproof blanket handy.)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5014 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

Back to topic, one cause can be that you ate one of them? Some animals become furious when you eat some corpses in front of them, I just ate a blink dog, the other dogs didn't like it, they pwned me in no time... :P

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: