Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / unlucky archer

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kender1
Registered user

Last page view:

6776 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 23:14 (GMT -5)

Had to tell someone about this one. Just had a high elf archer, who was precrowned with nature's companion who had horrible luck. through the game i found no arrows, no arrow traps, to fletchery sets, to kobolds to shoot at me, no ratling archers, no raiders, no barbarian leaders, nothing that could get me any arrows. ended up getting killed by a tension room full of ettins on DH1. ran completely out of arrows, and couldn't kill em all with my hand to hand. Well, just had to tell someone. Has anyone else ever had an arrow-less game???
Never share a foxhole with someone braver than you.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/31/2005 at 23:46 (GMT -5) by Kender1]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4077 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

Did you use up your starting fletchery set? If so, you really had horrible luck...

Maybe you should have trained slings and rocks sowewhere earlier in the game? Just so you could use those as well if the need arises... Rocks are not as rare as arrows are.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3586 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

An archer shouldn't only rely on missile weapons but train their melee skills too. That way you save tons of arrows.

tip1:Barbarian parties can be scummed for arrows.
tip2:Don't use your fletchery set till level 18 because then you got lotsa more arrows when flecting
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6635 days, 17 hours, 5 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

tip3: Look out for barbarians early in the game.
tip4: Use your fletchery when you'r outta arrows, regardless of lvl.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4964 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

Don't just settle for rocks, pick all sorts of ammo and tanged weapons. The more you have, the more you can fire.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Once you get high level, a hurthling archer can read a spellbook of Earthquake. Beware bad book effects.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4077 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

I usually go for just arrows and quarrels... Rocks tend to get too heavy for my high elven archer guys. I pick up all scurgari, boomerangs and throwing knifes, too. You never know...

At the beginning, use missiles only for enemies you would have difficulties to beat in melee (large kobolds, gnolls spring to mind), at least until you get entirely rid of ammunition trouble. Once you have Fletchery at a decent (say, above 70) level and possess a hatchet, your starting Fletchery set *should* be enough to get you a decent stock of arrows.

But don't get too depressed if RNG doesn't like you and your arrows... If RNG *really* wants you to run out of arrows, you WILL run out of arrows! :D
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Kender1
Registered user

Last page view:

6776 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 00:08 (GMT -5)

thanks for all the responses guys, i did try to scum barb's and found none, and my initial fletchery set, when used all 5 times, granted me a total of 24 arrows, with my fletchery skill at 100. I think Silfir was right, if the RNG wants you to be out of ammo, you will be out of ammo.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver than you.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/2/2005 at 01:10 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

6686 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 03:26 (GMT -5)

Hi Kender,
You do know that even with Fletchery at 100, if you use wooden sticks you will get less than 10 arrows/quarrels on average?
You have to use Fletchery on logs to get LOTS of arrows. I managed 76 arrows from 1 log with a Fletchery skill of 100 and the Archer increased fletchery gains trait. Conversely with same character I could only get up to 10 arrows from a wooden stick.

Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

In my experience, you will always find a lot of arrows. That is if you have trained crossbow skill, and have no bow.

Elven archers, who depend on arrows for ammo (I mean, have anyone read any fantasy novel where the elven hero used a crossbow instead of bow?) are naturally due to the in-game reverse temporeal engineering system (=if you need it you're not gonna bloody find it) not likely to find much ammo at all.

Thats just the way it is.

However, even the ADOM in-game manual hints that archers are no pushovers in melee combat either. It is imperative to train melee skills as well.
For instance, in the words of confucious: "When faced with the image on one self, archery is of little use" (Yeah thats like a riddle I just made up).
You could consider an archer as a warrior type who is simply very good with arrows. I once had an archer who ended the game, and had great fun with the level 50 class ability, but he still used melee a good deal.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5835 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

But hobbit archer is very good in that rocks can always be found. If not any other way, pickaxe, or the idea of Iridia (earthquake)will do.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5996 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

I suddenly tried to imagine how would a *rock* pierce, say, hill giant, then travel to next one, pierce him, then travel to next one and finally got struck in last one's corpse. Especially if thrown by a Hurthling Archer - that is - bare-handedly. o_O
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

Maybe the rock doesn't exactly pierce, but hit the half-giant real hard on the head, and because of some kind of cool spin the hurthling archer gave it, the rock bounces off and hits the next one hard, and so on?
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6758 days, 6 hours, 4 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

I really would pay to see a lv 50 hurthling archer going through the d:50. It would be so much fun, imagine hordes of creatures coming to you, and you killing them with throwing rocks, which go btw like it came out of a gauss gun, piercing all the way forward.

Real epic stuff. :P

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/3/2005 at 13:44 (GMT -5) by Asdas]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: