Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New guy with no luck

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

FearThePuppyCave
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

I've been playing a few days and, as usual, ADOM has eaten many characters I thought could go all the way. This one was particularly harsh in my opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His achievements during his adventures:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bilbo, the trollish monk, was killed by a writhing mass of primal chaos.
He scored 1750 points and advanced to level 3.
He survived for 0 years, 3 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes and 45 seconds (1164
turns).
Bilbo visited 5 places.
His perception score was modified by +1 during his career.
He ended his adventuring life on level 1 of a dangerous cave at the Drakalor
Pass.
----------------------------------------------

I was full hit points and then... dead. It was the first thing I came across in the puppy cave.

Another troll monk was whacked at the up-stairs in UD 7 by a mimic...

So addictive and fun and so very, very cruel. :)

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3583 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

A WMoPC in the puppy cave? How extraordinary...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6633 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

Bad luck with corruption trap...
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 19 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

Happened to me once, too.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3904 days, 21 hours, 53 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

Too bad ADoM doesn't know anything about beginners luck :D
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 5 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

A slight tip: After you learn the game mechanics, you might consider moving on to a different race, since Trolls are considered VERY hard to win with. Sure, they can whack anything they come across easy enough, but at some point they start to wonder why all the other "weaker" characters are twice their level...
I'd say a level 30 hurthling beats a level 15 Troll anytime...

There are a few other issues with them as well, but the experience is why I never play one for an easy game, but rather as a "challenge game" instead.

And the beauty of this game is the total unpredictability of it all. You had no chance whatsoever against the writhing mass of primal chaos at your level there. With experience, you would probably have realized that you had to run away from it (guess you will from now on) and come back later, better armed or armored.

About mimics, yeah they can happen. Bad luck. But with experience you might have been suspicious about an item lying there with a funny color. You could for instance have throw a rock at it. If it was a normal item, okay. If not, mabye it would have woken up. Still happens even to expert players though.

Everyone who has played more than 30 characters probably had at least one wander happily along some corridor at level 1, only to die from a rock dropping from the ceiling. Death awaits around every corner, brutal, swift and merciless. Just like the real world. We can try to be as careful as we feel we have time to, but it could still happen to anyone. People have died from planes dropping out of the sky to hit their house, from lightening stroke et cetera. And I think all of them would consider that "harsh", if they were in a position to voice their opinions.

If you are very careful and skilled at this game, you can be fairly confident to finish the game alive, but not totally sure.

I.E even if you drive a car defensively and safe as possible, you can still be hit by a drunken driver. If you drink and drive yourself its a great deal more likely to crash of course.

Right, ADOM-philosophy there for free.
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6514 days, 15 hours and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

lol. the government could start a new slogan. DDaA "don't drink and ADOM"
You die...
*Chaos Muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

Just the other day i had a wicked starter character and i entered the puppy caves only to die straight away by a goblin standing on a fireball trap.
didnt even get to move of the stairs....
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 10 hours and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

Like when entering the SMC: "Several items lies on the floor. There is a staircase upwards here. The goblin hits you. The large bat hits you. The rat hits you. You die..."
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6633 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

Sargoth:

Let me guess: You are trying to sneak past SMG with a fresh char :D
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
FearThePuppyCave
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

The mimic just sort of murdered me when I moved onto the staircase. Next character got attacked by another one in the puppy cave level one in a potion shop but I killed it. Of course then that character was luring people across a chaotic alter and a bandit sacrificed him. Oops. Hope I was worth some good points with his god...

I just liked having 32 strength with a troll monk and the monk half-food cost looked good (I had two troll healers starve to death due to bad luck with corpses and food dropping).

I had a gnome bard with all the right skills, seven league boots (heir), and alertness. He went to the small cave and got fenced in by blink dogs after a tension room. Amazingly enough he won but was level 6 by the time the fight ended and got killed trying to get out of SMC. That was a fate none of my trolls endured since they tended to only hit level 4 and could still one-shot kill anything in their way trundling out with the blanket...

Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 10 hours and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

tongHoAnh: That is basically my starting strategy for every PC that starts out with healing and a decent Str stat. I tend to die a lot...

Mimics. If you get the chance, throw everything you got at them. Everything: if you know ten points of Burning Hands, USE THEM! Take no chanses with them. Ever.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
FearThePuppyCave
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 15:52 (GMT -5)

I try to do the SMC first as well. I've once wandered in with a level 6 character to look for the blanket and stairs and got promptly murdered... so now I try and race my leveling up. Typically if I don't have blanket in hand and running for exit by level 4 I don't make it out alive...

Yes, I die a lot too... some spectacular, some silly. The being sacrificed was my flashiest LOL death, but that writhing mass within 10 steps of entering my first dungeon will hold a spot in my heart for a long time too.
FearThePuppyCave
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

First dungeon after SMC which I don't count for trolls, rather.
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

Heh, in one of my games, I got ambushed so many times by the smart-ass mimics, that I began firing arrows at all items that I saw throughout the game.

I guess that's one step before the guys in white clothes come in. :P
BattleAxe
Registered user

Last page view:

6339 days, 47 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 18:07 (GMT -5)

For the SMC I always bring the Viel of the Gods spell(or any other thing that grants invisibility) and a digging tool. A few monsters I encountered can see invisible. So I can just walk around with no surprise attacks, and if I get into a tight spot (surrounded by hostiles in a corridor) I just tunnel out of there.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 19 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

God, speaking of the small cave, recently I walked in with a high elven archer, stumbled upon a "halberd 50s" which was indeed an eternium halberd, rejoiced, found the blanket, found the down staircase. "So, this time I was lucky, wasn't I" I thought. Then, openened the next room on UD:1. Mixed tension room. I had the choice between running back to the SMC or to stay and fight. Chose the latter and got slain, but both would have killed me.

RNG gets you. Always.

As for the SMC, if you go in at all, make it the first thing your character does. I feel it's almost essential to be level 1 upon entrance if you want to have enough time to find the blanket and the down staircase.

If you go in later, invisibility is almost essential, but you can still become surrounded. Controlled teleportitis or on-demand-teleportation, given you know where the down staircase is, is a very good alternative.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

Small cave essentials:

1. Invisibility
2. Teleportation(controll added is even better)
3. Magic map(always helps to know where to go right away)
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5994 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

There's another alternative - 'calm monster' + ':s' - not to get surrounded. With invisibility, of course.

Level 1 bards have quite an easy time in SMC - pet kills all monsters, new ones are spawned weak (if you don't kill any!!!), and you can always tame something new instead of your slain companion. Farmer's dogs can bite too.

The edge of luck is getting a healing spellbook... That makes scumming for cute thingies much easier.
Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/11/2005 at 16:37 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: