Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Strategic Question

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8155 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2001 at 00:10 (GMT -5)

Ok, you all.

What's your favorite race/class combo? Why?

My own: Hurthling merchant. There's something enormously satisfying about surviving each and every encounter by the skin of your teeth. Merchants' carrying capacity makes up for low str. High dexterity makes them relatively effective with ranged weapons despite their incredible weakness when it comes to melee. And, ofcourse, always well equipped with tools.
Madman
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

Dwarven farmer
They rock.
They get a lot of skills.All except literacy.
Theyre great at pole arms.They hardly need any food and they make companions easily.Great carrying capacity.They usually are strong.They reach Grand mastery easily in pole arms.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7925 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

As I've said thousands of times before, I still consider myself a newbie and there are races and classes I haven't even tried yet, but so far my favorites are trollish merchant, high elven wizard, and trollish healer.

Trollish merchant: Trolls are great because they're good fighters and can carry a lot. Merchants are great because they have appraising and detect item status and can carry a lot. Combine the two and you get a good fighter with appraising and detect item status and the potential to have a HUGE inventory.

High Elven Wizard: Wizards are good at magic (duh), elves are good at magic, and high elves are lawful (my favorite alignment). BTW, other than their alignment is there a difference between high and gray elves? (told you, complete newbie).

Trollish healers: duh. This doesn't even need explaining.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 4 hours, 46 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

I'm a newbie too, but I like Drakish Wizards. Not only do they have all the benefits of a Wizard's magical ability, they also have Alertness (good for avoiding traps), Food Preservation (great for getting your Toughness up with undead corpses) and Swimming (handy when you encounter a river and can't freeze it).

I used to be really keen on Trollish Healers, but after one of mine died to the Snake from Beyond, I decided I'd reached the stage where whacking everything to death was no longer effective.

I wonder what a Trollish Wizard would be like - would they get killed because they were too dumb to learn spells?
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 05:36 (GMT -5)

Hmmmm... Trollish wizards would probably be crappy spellcasters in the beginning but would probably survive by their brute force. And once they reached dwarftown they could train their spellcasting stats to reasonable values with Garth.

ATM my personal favourite is probably gnomish elementalist. Too bad they don't have food pres, otherwise they are great.
Akron
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

My favorite race/class vombo is probably High/Gray Elven Necromancer. They get Food Preservation (good for carrying Orb Guardians and of course undead leave corpses more often) and Necromancy. Necromancy is the exceptional way to train your mana if you know how to use it (I've noticed that pure spellcasting is kind of too slow way). Necromancers aren't that good spellcasters at the beginning so it takes little bit of careful playing and using First Aid but that's the whole point. It's very challenging.
When you reach level 50 with Necromancer you receive "near-immortality". This may lead to careless play but experienced players like I rarely do that mistake. Heh heh, just kidding!
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

I've read that trollish wizards are good jack-of-all-trade characters. In the beginning of the game it tends to be easier if you are a good fighter, which trolls are. In the later stages of the game it tends to be better if you've got magic (like you said, whacking everything to death stops being effective), and by then the troll has developed decent (although not outstanding) magic abilities.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5665 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

my favs: Human Rangers (no outstanding stats, but no lame ones either. plus i just like rangers. a lot. *g*), Orcish Monks (i *love* monks, and orcs are strong/tough enough to last a little while as a monk), Elven Fighters (poor mix, but they can be fun. good dex + good eq = hard to hit), Elven Bards (main thing about bards is a: Taming creatures and b: skills. well, elves get lots of skills...), Elven [insert favorite magic class here] (do i really need to explain?), and Dwarven/Drakish Mindcrafters (esp if born in the tree; dwarves naturally tend to have higher WI and draklings aren't stupid).

humourous line from a book: "The dwarf stopped and grumbled to himself. He then turned and slammed his head into a boulder. ... [he] adjusted his helmet again, by slamming his head into the stone..." not exact, but then i don't have the book with me.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 2 hours, 54 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 at 20:18 (GMT -5)

I like gray elven wizards.

Start out newtral so they can do "all" start quests, very good spellcasters (best mana score in the game) and they level quite fast.

The downside is no Food Preservation, Swimming (easy to get though) and cronicaly low HP...

If I ever get tired of gray elven wizards I tend to play dwarven priests. Lots of nice skills, ok spellcasting ability and strong/though enough to take on most things in melee if need be.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

Hurthling monks are my absolute favorite combo atm. Monks in general are just great and my mental image of a very short creature plowing through a vault of dragons with his bare hands is highly enjoyable. And even more enjoyable when I see this being done in adom. :)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2001 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

i've found another one. it may not be likely, but i discovered it when messing around; i was looking for a race/class that would be interesting to roleplay (in the game, that is) and rememberd Drizzt, the lawful dark elven ranger of the Dark Elf Trilogy. well geuss what: Dark Elven Rangers are *NICE*! they don't start with many HPs, but they do start with fairly high stats, lots of skills, and good EQ. i mean *good* EQ: Elven Chain Mail (that there is enough to sell me), light boots, and two scimitars. i just played one: started with IIRC 17 in ST and TO, 20 in DE, and somehow he had 9 in LE. and of course he had 1 in CH with a potential of 5, but ....

ivan.sourceforge.net
Crazy Train
Registered user

Last page view:

8166 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

Hi, i'm new to this forum, my favorite race/class are high elves barbarians, because high elves have a great dextery, giving lots of DV while a true berserker, and... i like it. They can read scrolls and even learn some weak but handy spells(like cure light wounds and frost bolt). And they tend to be lawfull, that's good because you can sacrifice almost any creature in the dungeons. well, thats it, I also like hurthlings assassins(you should try them) and high elven archers.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5832 days, 12 hours, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 00:39 (GMT -5)

My wins so far in adom v1 are -

1. High Elf Priest - the easiest race/class combination in the game i would say. So many spells, so much learning.

2. Dark Elf Priest - slightly more complicated but still quite easy.

3. Human Monk - i used weapons too, dispite disadvantages. Polearms/Daggers/Unarmed fighting marks were close. Not too hard a race at all.

4. High Elf Wizard - priests are much easier, but this race/class combo was rather simple.

5. Human Ranger - She had an early rune-covered trident. She scummed the wilderness for seeds to sac for crowning.

6. Troll Barbarian - Ugh! One spell cast in the entire game. Aslong as you know what weapons give what resistances/slaying abilities it's fairly easy.

I think a key to the game is (ummm might be spoily i'll cover it up)

Spoiler

Once you get invisability and can kill greater claw bugs, eat the corpses. With 99 dex you rarely get hit, it makes the game so much simpler. I'd reccomend this even for a mindcrafter. Willpower can easily be replaced if you're that keen on it.

I've tried several times to win using a male Hurthling Thief named Bilbo. And have not gotten anywhere, they die so easily. Anyone managed this ???

I struggle with mindcrafters, ogre magi around dwarftown seem to take me down rather easily.

Archers annoy me, takes to long to press t and select targets.

Assassins, Bards, Beastfighters, Druids, Farmers, Fighters, Merchants, Necromancers, Paladin and Weaponsmiths i rarely use. Although i have used every class.

Drakelings, Gnomes, Orcs, Hurthlings i rarely use.

So in conclusion i would say that my favorite race/class combination would be - Troll Barbarian.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Crazy Train
Registered user

Last page view:

8166 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 12:55 (GMT -5)

Dougy: I've managed to go far with hurthlings by killing an outlaw, returning to terinyo and killing everyone after pickpocketing them and making them mad, except the sheriff, the dragon, the elder, the druid, the fool and the merchant(even the tiny girl you vcan kill) after doing this you'll have level ~3 and you can go to the elder quest to get healing and start playing more serious.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

Never played a thief, but I'm going to try it someday. I thought hurthling would be a good class for that because IIRC hurthlings have high dex (and, of course, because of Bilbo the Burglar. :-)).

Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

I've played a fair number of hurthlings and thieves, though I suspect that my standards of 'gettings somewhere' are a bit lower than yours, Dougy.

My thoughts:

Spoiler
The trick with hurthlings, IMO, is to use ranged weapons rather than melee attacks. They're relatively deadly with them. Travel light, for speed and defense. Go for DV enhancing weapons, armor. Train Appraising quickly to help find good stuff. Some form of permanent invisibility is also quite useful in conjunction with backstabs. Lock doors in the early levels to keep monsters from ganging you. The biggest problem I tend to have with them is lvl 20-25. Trying to take on ToEF without permanent invisibility or a damn good melee artifact can be quite nasty for a hurthling thief.

[Edited at 14:30, Sunday, December 16, 2001 by Gyr]

[Edited at 12:35, Monday, December 17, 2001 by Gyr]
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2001 at 20:23 (GMT -5)

I cannot stand to leave the pyramid alone, and throwing rocks at the mobs there don't do much good. Arrows of slaying help but their rare. A wand of fireballs is incredibly handy, but that's hard to get.

The furthest i've ever gotten with a hurthling thief is level 7. (both times jaharod killed me, actually come to think of it i think i made it to dwarftown with one but forgot to record it). I don't really consider a charactor has gotten somewhere until he's gotten his first artefact, and no the si doesn't count.

Hurthlings just seem to weak for me, furthest i've ever gotten is level 11 (v1), hurthling farmer.
Thieves on the other hand are very powerful. Thier power is hidden behind weakness. Pickpocket = good equipment (lots of potions)(use it!, i got whirlwind once in the infinite dungeon, who says artefacts can't load there). Backstab + stealth = lots of critical hits. Thieves also get the advantage that better eq loads for them around the place, and they are about the 7th fastest class to level. (it's not a spoiler the game tells you how much xp to level)
I got to andor with a dwarf thief in g16, but he kept teleporting away when i critically hit him, and i corrupted to death.
One regret i had with that charactor is that i got crowned lawful and pickpocket becomes more powerful later on for thieves, and i couldn't use it.

Adomer from Australia.

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

Hmm, hurthlings weak? I won the game once with a hurthling monk. Though being a monk outweights the negaitve effects of hurthlings I 'spose. :)

Locke Cole
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 23:04 (GMT -5)

Hmm...

Spoiler
Provided you stick to using it on hostile monsters, pickpocket seems to have almost NO effect on alignment to me, even when I'm lawful.

Anyways, I usually change to bows/arrows after the very beginning with my hurthlings. I never have any problems with the pyramid, but...

Spoiler
I always get the wand of fireballs from the dwarven elder, first.

[Edited at 23:06, Tuesday, December 25, 2001 by Gyr]

[Edited at 23:08, Tuesday, December 25, 2001 by Gyr]

[Edited at 23:09, Tuesday, December 25, 2001 by Gyr]
Peter Burov
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2002 at 04:19 (GMT -5)

I like orcish druids. I have never got far in the game, but the furthest I got was with an orcish druid. They are hard in combat, and when you need to clear away loads of monsters or meet something particularly hard, you can use your Divine Wrath spell. The mana isn't as low as you'd think, either. Not getting attacked by animals and having them attack enemies is also useful in the Small Cave, and when you meet Karmic Lizards etc.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Druids are a rather powerful race, their just like wizards that cats don't attack. I get the feeling that many ppl don't like them 'cos of the constant switching places with animals and the not being able to feast on them.

Adomer from Australia.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

You can be a chaotic druid and kill all the animals you want...
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Hake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

My Favorite is human monk, or drakish monk but either way its monk. They are good because of the wall kicking ability and they move fast, im not talking about speed but the energy point system which I dont fully understand.
What do you think?
fgn
Registered user

Last page view:

8075 days, 1 hour, 2 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

The best is (male) high elven archer, especially borned in Raven, so he's fast. When I started playing ADOM, I really liked wizards and elementalists, but know I think that they're not the best classes. I also like palladyns and troll healers - I go then to SMC without getting healing from Jharod, because healers have got healig on the start. And they're strong too, but hm.. a little dumb ;)))

"wlazł kotek na płotek spadł na pysk
złamał se dwa żebra wypadł mu dysk"
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 19:18 (GMT -5)

Troll healers born in the candle, wearing multiple regen items, with 3X regen rates and healing tissue corruption are beyond easy. You can heal faster then high-level monsters can damage you. While also being strong tough, and capable of casting spells.

Adomer from Australia.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

give him a few good weapons and spells, plus a bit of armor, boost his stats up, and you've got a mean green killing thing (litterally; can't say machine because trolls aren't mechanical. but they are mean and yes, IIRC they are green too. and they certainly can kill. *splat*)

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

I dunno... Ever since I got off my year-long wizard kick, I've switched favorite classes often. ATM I've got the settings on random PC's. I loved dwarven mindcrafters for awhile, that confusion blast thing came in handy more times than I cared to count, mostly whenever the natural dwarven strength and toughness failed. I got one to lev. 23 once... Very fun. Mindblast everything in sight, just so long as it's alive :) Bugville is a pain with mindcrafters, though. No spells, and mindcraft can't touch bugs. Maybe that's a good thing, though, with me being a recovered cheater!
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7765 days, 8 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Race: I like played grey elves, there have whery high learning, it's good for begining. My gray elves have abot 20 it's normal. once I have 23 and only 17. But 20 is standert. Dark elves very rare hase learning higher than 17.
Class necromancer of corse:) find weaknes. Good for critics:) Herbalism herbs roolez:) Necromancy undeads lots of undeads. Why necro can't unslave undead monster?:(( Alchemia It's great skill after concetration and necromancy I always improve this skill reception for potion of gain atributs roolez. It's guaranted last reception And you make it's practically always blessed alchemy 100%. Fate smile at you enhanched by item ad luck to:) Ankh on the neck;) Reception for boose is nice to:)
Food preservation Is more powerfull. You need corpses for necromancy:))) High resistance for special undeads atack:) You have it's realy early and one my PC grey elven necromancer before gain 6 level aged to death. He was realy old:) And emperor liches are one of the worst monster in adom summoning drein stats, confusion non imposibile to sacriface:) Shadow touch:) easy to regeneration you hits points:) And the last when you have 50 level you are immortal:) Only mutated for writhing masses of primal chaos, crushed when you kicking the stairways and sacrifated can kill you. When you died you returning from death by your toughtnes and hit poitns are reduced by half. But orb of earth, knife of endurance, braces of toughtnes and robes of resistance if posibily and you have always a very high toughtnes:) And necro is full spellcaster character lots of spellboks to find. And on begining necro usually have spellbok of frost bolt. Once I have The collected works of confucius and twice tract of chaos
Trolls are whery funy. They have nice txt when you eat something:) whery dump and slowly makes levels, but you have a lot of time to improves your stats strengh, lerning et cetera.
Playing in casino and train stats in dwarftown:)
10000000$ to one stat?;)
Necro roolez:)
Born? only not in dragon, but with brother returns omen:) It's very nice:)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6122 days, 21 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

hmmm... i think that gnomish beastfighters are good if you get them to survive the beginning. I had a great gn.bf lvl 20 killing every one in ToEF going but too bad my boyfriend rebooted the machine while i was playing. bye bye...
and hurtling elementalists and drakish wizards and and and.... the list goes on.
i just prefer that the faith decides. but i usually choose to be female.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Elethiomel
Registered user

Last page view:

7678 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

Right now I have a trollish monk on level 12 born in Raven with blessed 7lb. He runs away from anything! And he isn't too bad at hitting things over the head either. Too bad he accidentally (hit wrong button) wore a ring of weakness... And in dwarven graveyard too.

Spoiler
Acid traps don't seem to have any effect on that ring. Piffle. I'm agonising about whether to dip that blasted ring in my guaranteed and only potion of holy water before taking on the hordes of undead. I really want to "U"se that potion on that grave though.... argh.

He'll most likely fall to corruption LONG before he has any chanche whatever of completing the game. I'm playing him on a 126x88 character screen... see "Big or Small" thread.

Trollish monks seem to work well though. Troll healer seems interesting. I really want to see the later stages of the game. :\
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: