Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Starvation

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4777 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

Ok so before I start this thread I have to confess that alcohol (my level not my characters)is to blame.
My drakeling beast fighter has just died, as did its predecessor, of starvation. I just get carried away spitting acid at either the Ogres under the dwarven halls, or at the undead that are surrounding Griff.
Now the warning messages to me are far too vague, surely a real person would actualy stop and consder what is happening as opposed to not noticing that his ribs are long past just the noticable phase, and that the once 36in waist is now requiring more than one trip to pizza hut to get back to. Would the game not benefit from a point that required a special keypress to go beyond the starvation point?
Yes I'm a little drunk, but also very p****d off at just having starved to death another promising character. Can we not pressure the god of adom, Mr TB to have a fail safe starvation key?
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 23:24 (GMT -5)

There is no such thing as 'fail safe' when it comes to ADOM...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6633 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 at 04:36 (GMT -5)

There are. It beeps all the time when you are starving.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 24 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

I don't know about you, but my computer's beep is pathetic. You hardly hear anything. This is the case for many "modern" computers... The guys that make them think you don't need the system beep anyway, what with sound cards and all. None of them has ever played ADOM, I assume...

Yet: If you can't keep your drakelings from starving while using, why do you use the acid spit at all? I mean, I have dangerous habits too... Starting to read difficult books in the middle of some dungeon is an example... I've lost several PCs because of reading while a fire vortex or a ghul sneaks up on me... DAMN, this annoys me. But do I ask for a safe way to let me read my books in a utterly dangerous location? I don't, because I know I should have known better than to start concentrating on reading a book instead of my own survival.

I think it's quite the same with acid spit. It is not meant to be a weapon for all-time use, but rather in an emergency, such as "Oh no, my fire wand is used up, and I don't want to melee that doppleganger lord! What do I do?"

You could argue that there is a warning for spellcasters who are trying to cast a spell despite lacking the PP as well, but that's different - Spells are *meant* to be used as all-time weapons - at least for spellcaster types.

Oh, and by the way - You should know by now that alcohol is bad for health. Not only yours, but also that of your PCs ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/12/2005 at 08:23 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
*CM
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

the easiest way not to starve to death:
when the starving warning comes up, eat something :p
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

If you have any, and you are not in desperately hurry, that is.
My RL dumpyard:

*CM
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Berzio potions, scrolls of satiation, potions of toughness and potential toughness and potions of balance also fill you up.
(thats not spoily is it? sorry if so)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/23/2005 at 20:37 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 at 20:36 (GMT -5)

It's spoily.

Spoiler
And the good thing about those things is... they do so in one turn, so you don't have to sit around letting a monster beat on you while you use/drink/eat them!

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/23/2005 at 20:38 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 at 21:25 (GMT -5)

Spoilers all around..

Spoiler
All potions gives you a certain amount of satiation, some more then others. In a pinch, even those potions of invisibility and stun recovery can keep you alive - and even though it is not for long periods of time, it is still enough to enable you to either find something edible or to run away from that particulary dangerous monster without starving...

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5891 days, 7 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Or, of course, you can just press '_'

:)

...if you're really in a pinch, aren't critically injured and are in decent standing with your deity...

Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 24 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

The topic wasn't starvation, it was accidental starvation by spitting acid too often. I agree all of this is good advice, but I don't see anyone who needs it at this moment.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 at 00:21 (GMT -5)

There are always moments when you find out that you have no food left and a yellow message on the bottom of the left side of the screen..

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Yeah for the original poster; ADOM is not for the casual (or not-so-casual) drinker. Driving a car is easy compared to ADOMing. And driving drunk carries a prison penalty. You may not go to prison for ADOMing while drunk, but you will (and deserve to) DIE.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1891 days, 19 hours, 15 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

One thing I do enjoy is playing ADOM while drinking. I have lost many promosing characters to Drunken-Gaming, but I know and accept the consequences of my actions...and usually just get another beer and start over.

You know you have had too much to drink when you have difficulty playing a turn-based game!!
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Thinking about chess...
My RL dumpyard:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: