Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Cow axe?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6508 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 00:34 (GMT -5)

People in the 'Great treasures are buried...' thread have talked about the Cow axe. Can someone please inform me on what the Cow axe is?
You die...
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1225 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 01:23 (GMT -5)

Axe of the minotaur emperor. Found at the bottom of the Minotaur maze. Weighs about 1200 stones, lots of damage, lots of critical hits with the thing.

True pain getting it though.
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6508 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

I know what the AotME is! lol.

I just didn't know that cow axe = AotME. Makes sense.
You die...
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6124 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 05:48 (GMT -5)

assassins with RotMC, bracers of war and cow axe kick ass
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

Never using it if I'm not a troll or a farmer, cuz 1200 stone is best to sacrifice, like Big Punch.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 at 10:32 (GMT -5)

My spellcasters get the axe easily.

Required:
1. Magic mapping via scrolls or spell.
2. Confusion resistance.
3. High level Bolt spell, Improved Fireball or a normal Ball spell and high enough Willpower to cast it at an increased radius.
4. Speed of 105 or better.

The strategy is simple: Magic-map the level; go down until you hit the bottom. If it's a false bottom, go back up and mark the stairs with a rock or piece of gold. Keep going back up until you get to another double down staircase. Rinse and repeat until you hit the Emperor's level (there's a special message).

To deal with tough monsters, use the bolt, imp. Fireball, or the ball spell and hit-and-run tactics. The Emperor falls the same way.

An extra artifact is always useful.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5988 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

I would argure about extra artifact.. Guaranteed artifacts are not always worth 3 levels and fading possibility to get something really worthwhile. Like Robes of Resistance or Grod :)
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

Well, like I said, my spellcasters can do it easily; so why not do it? I wouldn't attempt it with a melee character, though; the lack of magic mapping would just make it too tedious.

I will accede the point that there are things that are *more* useful than extra artifacts, though.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/31/2005 at 16:48 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

in your mind, which is better, moloch armor(15000s) or the AotME(1200s)? It seems that the cow axe is very useful for battle against molochs scoring a max damage at *0* exp in axes of 76. While moloch armor grants near invicibillity to almost anyone but titans, molochs, greater molochs, and balors. The cow axe is also *much* lighter than the moloch armor.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 at 18:16 (GMT -5)

You compare imcomparable things. It's just like to ask: what's better - a car or a house?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6627 days, 1 hour, 37 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

I pick the car. Which one does it resemble?

Just joking :D By the time you get the amour the weight penalty is nothing. But it hurt going for the axe for any 30-
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

rephrasing the question, which is better to-damage or PV?

The cow axe deals damage sigificant for molochs (one hit with a high axe skill?). And the moloch armor takes a molochs hit down alot(10-30hp vs around 100hp?). Forget about the weight then.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

well the moloch armour grants immunity to fire at least, and reduces dex and speed, so youll get more exp and be able to train dex a bit more, so thats a bonus, as for damage, you can find massive damage weapons everywhere, aswell as slaying ammo, so on a practical side i'd say the moloch armour, but for style, id say moloch armour *and* the cow axe.
*<< Words go here >>*
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

Ahem, what "massive damage weapons"? Garanteed?

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

There is no such thing as "guaranteed" when it comes to ADOM, really. If you only count the really utterly "guaranteed" weapons, yeah, the cow axe beats Moon Sickle and Big Punch.

Many eternium weapons (which are not that hard to come by on higher levels - check Darkforge), like the eternium halberd (4d7+11, luck added in) or the eternium two-handed sword (6d5+21, tops) can compete with the cow axe in raw damage. And don't forget that they can have prefixes and suffixes. A murderous eternium two-handed sword of devastation totally OWNS the cow axe. :) (Of course, nobody has that much luck...) They can also be improved by smithing - Another plus.

I know these are *not* guaranteed to get. Your chances to find a decent eternium weapon are overall higher than surviving the tedious trip during the minotaur maze as a melee character, though, at least if you ask me.

And as far as molochs goes... A single phase dagger is probably more useful than brute to-damage weapons - And you can use two of them at once. If you do melee the moloch, that is. *I* always used penetrating or demon slaying ammo and went well with it. And since *nobody* can take down a greater moloch in one hit (except *maybe* the raging berserking barbarians with maxed Tactics skill wearing two rings of slaying and gloves of smiting and having a Strength of 99 as well as Grand Mastery with their murderous eternium two-handeded sword of penetration using their mighty blow class skill - and it would still have to be a low experience greater moloch), PV is fairly important - DV maybe even more, though.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

Q: A murderous eternium two-handed sword of devastation totally OWNS the cow axe. :)

I once had an 'Eternium two-handed sword of penetration'. :-P
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

I once had an adamantium halberd of penetration. Not too shabby either. :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

I found a lawfull eternium halbard of devastation as a level one assassin in the smc, yay!
*<< Words go here >>*
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Be careful - The RNG will put a five-squares river right in your way out through the UD ;)

If you don't have swimming, that is. If you do, it will put a mimic somewhere, and you won't see it.

Either way, you won't survive having THAT shitload of luck. The Almighty RNG dost not permit it.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

I never descend through the UD at the beginning of the game anymore. I *do* visit the SMC to find the staircase and the blanket after defeating Kranach at the beginning of the game, but I wait until I have done the dwarven graveyard and the pyramid before going to that dangerous place.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 at 11:14 (GMT -5)

Why? It's not that dangerous. Just time-consuming. BTW, It allows for a kind of shrtcut to CoC - you won't need to cross the river or go around by the swamps. Plus, HMV has a shop.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

Depends. If descending through the UD is the very *first* thing a PC does, it is not a shortcut, since he has to return to the right part of the map to get Healing or Herbalism or whatever. (That's another story for characters that don't need to do the Terinyo quests for whatever reason - they can just come back and do them when they intend to the dwarven graveyard anyway.)

I still do it, at least with those characters that are fairly tough in the early game. Fighters, archers and such. The reason for this is that, compared to other dungeons, the UD is fun. The special dungeon features of this one make playing more exciting, at least for me. This, and the nice equipment - I somehow tend to find higher metal weapons, girdles and caps every time I descend through the UD.

It has obvious downsides. Often I drown because I haven't had time to obtain Swimming and a damned river is created. Likewise I often die because of lacking the Healing skill.

Starting in the UD means there are two possibilities: Survive with nice stuff in your backpack to help you succeed in the early midgame, or die early, which minimizes the grief.

I never kill Kranach nor save the puppy anymore. Kranach never shows up before you are running out of food, and looking for him is plain annoying, and saving the puppy is too much effort and risk for too low gain.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

You must have had bad luck with Kranach - My first Kranach kill was instant - my char walked into the hills right next to VD, and voila - you are ambushed by a gang of raiders!

However, once with one of m mindcrafters I got to 55 xp's before lvl 6 (to kill the bastard with Mind Blast), and then encountered grizzly bear. Simply forgot that it would mean level-up for me.. Bye-bye 3000 gold + law skill.

However, I'd reccomend at leas atempting it because it is almost a must to get as much guaranteed skills as possible - just in case you run into a way of getting scrolls of education. It is very annoying to get 'gardening', 'law', 'courage','disarm trap' instead of 'alertness', 'find weakness', 'athletics'...
Ubi patria ibi bene!
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4486 days, 10 hours, 28 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

Love silfir's breakdown of what "might" one hit kill a GM. The single most amazing character ever...
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5194 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 at 03:31 (GMT -5)

Ah, but I bet I could one-hit a GM with any level 1 PC and not extraordinary stats or equipment =)
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 11 hours, 17 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

One-hit a GM at level 1... You mean, the GM would deal that one hit? :)
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Twinge, would it be with an extraordinary pet perhaps?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 at 21:06 (GMT -5)

No, no pet. In melee.
Fiddler
Registered user

Last page view:

5188 days, 6 hours, 34 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 at 17:23 (GMT -5)

Aside from coating your weapon in poison and avoiding said GM after successfully landing a hit, I am pretty much baffled by your claim Twinge.

Care to enlighten us please?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 at 21:30 (GMT -5)

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: