Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / More newbie questions!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7934 days, 12 hours, 2 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 at 23:37 (GMT -5)

I was reading through the manual, and found that there's an option to allow the computer to give your character a default name. I can't figure out how to set up the variable for it. Any advice?

And did you know the gender of your character affects its attributes? Males are stronger and females are more agile (dx?). Does this make a noticeable difference in the game? Being the unoriginal person that I am, most of my characters are females named Amanda. (you should see my high score list. 1. Amanda 2. Amanda 3. Amanda...)

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5674 days, 4 hours, 43 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

hehe, what is it with you and the incessant newbie questions? *g* j/k. uh, well i don't have the slightest clue; all my chars have wierd names (was a pure stroke of luck that the name of one of my chars (Toril, second highest score ever) has the same name as the surface world in the Dark Elf Trilogy) so i have no use of the default name thing...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7906 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 06:29 (GMT -5)

You can set the variables in the adom.cfg file that's in the adom_dat sub-folder. The variables I like to use are: allow_default_names (I only name my char if he finishes the ToeF, my hof is full of Vaarnims, Calamirs, and Geffreys :D), gender, metric_measuring, no_book_spellcasting, fast_more, the no starting questions thingy and when I know what kind of char I want to play I'll add "class" and "race" to the list. (I'm not 100% sure about the variable names)

Adom.cfg has a full listing of the variables you can set.

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

Cool, I'll try editing the cfg file.

Duke, I'm a permanent newbie. I figure I'll eventually stumble across something that no one knows. ("Hey, here's a newbie question about this place I found called the 'Red Rooster Inn'...")

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
The Mishka
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 21:46 (GMT -5)

Toril in the Dark Elf Trilogy.? Where?
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

Ohh, here's a newbie observation! While pool scumming, I died of old age. I saw the grim reaper! "Her scythe moves like lightning and runs through your body as if through warm butter. Your life drains away... You die..."

I was 80 years old. Without unnatural aging, I had been only 12.

Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7906 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

Toril is the name of the world in the Forgotten Realms setting. Just like Krynn is in Dragonlance setting.

Another variable I like to set is the Uncursed_String = normal. I don't like the appellation uncursed. IMO it means that something was cursed but isn't anymore.

From dictionary.com:
uncurse \Un*curse"\, v. t. [1st pref. un- + curse.] To free from a curse or an execration
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

Hmmm... I have the uncursed string set to "mundane" with my latest char. Have also used "normal" and "boring". Might also try "average" or "standard"...
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5841 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

I had it as "run-of-the-mill" for awhile, but that drove me insane not being able to see my equipment.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5776 days, 22 hours, 14 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

Amanda, if you die of old age even an AoLS won't save you. "Your amulet of life saving suddenly glows in a silvery light ... in vain. Your time has come."

(I'd got into difficulties with a greater vault full of ghost lords and emperor liches, had my stats severely drained and become very old. I fled to the pools in Darkforge, hoping to be un-aged or get a chance to wish for potions of youth, but also thinking that perhaps if I died from old age my AoLS would bring me back with my youth restored.)
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6130 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2001 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

ah, sorry... i have just read salvatore in finnish, so i don't know what they are in english.
thanks

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
What Up.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

How do you move in Adom?
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6332 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

look at the what is adom thread... are you joking? :P

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 18:44 (GMT -5)

Nate, shut up.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7788 days, 14 hours, 41 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

So duke are your friends gone yet?
The next time theyre on their way something like this may happen.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6332 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Hahahaha

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

eheheheheh!!! yes, they're gone.... for now. and fo at least a week, they don't have net access from home and we have a week off from school (HORRAYYY!!!).

ivan.sourceforge.net
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 at 20:02 (GMT -5)

A newbie question: Is it true that dipping items in PoE changes them into something else? I've tried that many times without never succeeding.Does the PoE need to be blessed, maybe...? (Stupid question but I've been playing ADOM a long time with no progress, so I need every piece of information I can get) HAIL THEE FELLOW ADVENTURERS!!!!!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/21/2002 at 20:03 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 00:26 (GMT -5)

yes, the PoE must be blessed.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

Thanks, sirrah! What about berzio potions? How do I use them? -Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint- --Mark Twain
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7773 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

Just drink, or offer to some hungry monsters. It's some kind of fast food;) It's good to calm some monsters

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 11:02 (GMT -5)

berzios are real good blessed

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7773 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

almost blessing items are better in use;)... But sometimes better is worse...;)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

OK, I thank thee. Funny thing you know, couple of days ago when playing a gray elven wizard I found two spellbook of death rays on ID1. Never been that lucky before!! His death was the usual...Head smashed by a stone block.-------------------How often do you advance to level...say >15 when you play? I mean do you consider this game easy?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3767 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

For me? Maybe one in about twenty characters that I don't suicide for bad stats or cat-killing in their first three or four levels. One in about three hundred will make it to level 30. But then, I've never won, and there are people out there with four or five UCG's under their belts!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 21:30 (GMT -5)

my highest chars were both 19. most get to ~7 or 8 b4 dieing.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5776 days, 22 hours, 14 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

Umm, Iridia, I don't think suiciding characters for bad stats is a very good idea. If you try to keep them alive, your judgement of what monsters you can take and what you must run away from will improve, and you may find that they live long enough to improve their stats. And why suicide just because you had to kill a cat? I've only managed to get the RotMC once, with a Druid, and even then I lost it later on. The Cat Lord isn't too tough, and he falls to Death Ray.

A lot of my characters will die in the SMC or the UD, but if I make it through there I usually keep going for a while. Sometimes I'll die during the Druid quest (that's why I prefer the carpenter one), while trying to free Griff's soul, or in the Dwarven Halls. If I die after completing all the dwarven quests, I consider it YASD (yet another stupid death) - like the time I aged myself to death drinking from a pool because I was wearing an AoLS and thought I'd come back with my youth fully restored.

Anyway, my advice would be to take note of how your characters are dying and think what you can do to avoid dying that way next time. Iridia, I think if you're reaching level 30 you're pretty close to winning the game. Duke, maybe you should try playing magic users. They're much easier than fighters, especially late in the game. I think Drakeling Wizard is the easiest combination.
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

Well.....CRAP!!!!I'm getting frustrated here. My best so far: lvl 24 human paladin,crowned Champ of Bal with "Grod" & fire immunity.Got Orbs of Water and Fire.(No spells in ToEF, all monsters slaughtered in melee,including ACW!Hah,that pathetic little Grod fodder:))-----My only character >lvl20, my only champion...*sniff*. Killed in ID lvl48 by black slayer & friends.(Stupid me!! Tried to get SoC just for the heck of it...) Well, life goes on...I think.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

i've tried spellcasters. with them i rarely even finish the dwarf quests. heck i rarely even get there. with my fighters i can usually hammer them.
almost all my mages die either in the VD or in the early levels of CoC (or PC; i usually go down to 4 and then come back and finish it later). thats why i don't play them very often.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

I've got some newbie questions, please share your wisdom with me:
  • Scroll of light? You can't read it in the dark so is there any better use for this?
  • SoWarning and SoInformation? Any effect to the difficulty of SC if you leave them where they are?
  • Planting herbs. I know the stable patterns but how exactly should I do it? 1 seed or many seeds? Holy water?
  • Tips for gaining strenght? My Gray elven wizards and Hurthling thieves tend to be pretty weak.
  • Is the attribute raise worth eating Keethrax? Or should I drag his corpse to the druid?
  • Should I dig up graves? Is it worth it (monsters vs. equipment)?
  • Are gems useful? Should I use them or sell them or.....?
      The ElDeR AdOmErS are extremely angry!You hear several thundering voices in your head:"NEWBIE YOU ART A NUISANCE"!!!!!-----HaaHaaa......sorry...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/23/2002 at 11:30 (GMT -5) by its author]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: