Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Mindcrafters...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

578 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

How the hell do you keep them alive? Even farmers, merchants and bards are pretty decent in the early game, compared to these losers. I must have lost about two dozen mindcrafters to the RNG within the last two hours or so - is it even possible to get a mindcrafter to something resembling mid-level? What's your strategy?
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6134 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 22:46 (GMT -5)

Pick a race that has Findweakness like darkelves, trolls(?) or orcs, so they can handle themselves better in melee, Drakelings are good because they are tough and can spit acid, If going after kranach leave it untill your almost lvl6, cause thats when mindblast kicks in, put skill points into herbalism and use every sneaky trick to max out your willpower (sickness + herbs, AoWillpower, staffs of power...)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

578 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 23:14 (GMT -5)

Why is Willpower so incredibly important for a mindcrafter? Early on, I seem to find that power points run out far too quickly, which would be prevented by a greater Mana stat, no?
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Bouchart
Registered user
Esteemed Grand Mystic Ruler

Last page view:

2341 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 00:47 (GMT -5)

Most mindcrafter skills are dependent on willpower for damage and duration.
"Your alternatives are locked, wisehead!"
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

Yeah, you can't rely on mindcraft to kill stuff much early on anyway, most usefull to confuse whatever is chasing you while you make your retreat.

Hurtling mindcrafters with a heap of rocks can work too, just avoid taking any kind of dammage :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6637 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Imagine mindcrafters are fighters with lower-than-average HP in early game and play accordingly. Only use mindcraft against anything too hard till at least lvl 6-7. Strange, I generally get mindcrafters till lvl 15.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3587 days, 13 hours, 58 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

I'd recommend you scum for the candle sign for faster healing and then tru-berserk your enemies! When you get that mind blast, don't start feeling feeling too confident.

Oh, and I doubt I've ever gotten a mindcrafter past level 10...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2005 at 08:44 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

I was inspired to start a hurtling mindcrafter by this (started with good shot and long stride using hit & run missile tactics early on), currently she's level 10 and at the arena shopping for cooked lizards...

Problem is I drank from a pool I found early in the CoC and promptly got cursed, so things are a little slow, it seems to even affect mindblast, I need 2-3 blasts to take down a vanilla kobold, and I've been chased all over the place by a ghoul (I do NOT want to melee those while cursed), but I eventualy managed to take it down with some arrows (thank god I picked long stride at the start).

Will have to try and rush to the dwarftown altar and try to get uncursed ASAP.

Been a while since I played it seems, did a few newbie mistakes. I pilfered the shop before I talked to the master thief, I entered the Id instead of the village dungeon and didn't realise before I was on level 6 :-o then I forgot the whole thing and headed for the CoC still newtral, without healing, and now I'm stuck pretty much having to go to dwarftown to get rid of the curse and that means a newtral altar there (asuming I make it that far). Oh well..
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 10:02 (GMT -5)

Bah, died (not supricing), turns out I was doomed, not cursed. Still I somehow made it past a fire vortex (1hp left, good thing I had that ring of fire resistance) to the big room, but a giant centepede managed to land a hit that poisoned me... Managed to flee back up the stairs, but I had no means to fend off the poison (god already hated my guts)... Got to remember to pick up that healing skill next time :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

578 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

Many small mistakes add up, it seems.

I stay far away from pools until I'm at least level 12-18. It's just too easy to mess up a good character by getting doomed early on - later it is easier to counteract or get rid of things like this.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5998 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Drakish candle mindcrafters kick ass!

I tried three - and almost intentionally killed last one at lvl 19 by Kherab. (after getting Skullcrusher, RoI, two RoDS=> AoLS + 4 7LB's, accidently turning my equipment to dust two times after accidently destroying altar with a single kick). This char had NO problems. Even after 2 girdle of carrying destruction he still managed to carry heavy loads, had a full pack of herbs, 10 SoCRs, etc. etc. I just got weary with it. maybe because I stopped my third precriwning attempts @ day 58 spending several real-time hours for nothing?

Anyway, after my curent Drakish Pal is over, I'll try another Drakish Mindcrafter.

Drakes, drakes, drakes..
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6314 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

I once got a decent dwarvish mindcrafter to the late stages of the game. Died at mana temple.

Nice toughness boost, maybe not as good as drakes (?) but good anyway. And yeah, I played it as a melee character. In fact, i thought of it like a fighter with a couple of extra abilities. Managed quite well mostly.
Portrait
Emerald
Registered user
AVID ADOM FAN

Last page view:

6743 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

Hi all!

I think I'll try and play with a mindcrafter again and see if I can win with it...
I currently have a candle-born (Did not scum) and a tiny birthmessage saying that the undeads are packing away... Will that do my Dark Elven Mindcrafter any good?

BTW... I think I can just get pass melee with bows and missles. Too hard to go against Karanch.

How about starting a competition with Mindcrafters for a change? ^^ with random race
(dark elven is too chaotic! cant get healing... what should I do...)
Waiting for Jade...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/18/2005 at 18:18 (GMT -5) by Emerald]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5151 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

You can still get healing..
(evil grin)

Besides one altar and you got it. One neutral or lawful that is.

I did a trollish mindcrafter as a "hardest r/c combo challenge" and it turned out okay.

Didn't mindcraft much except confusion blasts though. No getting spells is kinda bad too. And exp - horrible.

So mabye hardy races make best miundcraters. Dwarf and Drakeling spring to mind as potentially easy ones.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/18/2005 at 18:31 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4078 days, 14 hours, 41 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

@Emerald: The undeads packing and moving away thing is actually kind of nice, since mindcrafters have some trouble fighting undead, and having this phrase at the beginning makes undead flee occasionally.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Bolto
Registered user

Last page view:

6106 days, 23 hours, 57 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

My human mindcrafter Aaron has managed to win but yeah beginning of game is really tough for them and sometimes RNG just kicks you in the butt and generates a trap that kills you out of nowhere (stone block) or a tension vault filled with undead or just a stupid lucky critical hit :P. you need to get the healing skill ASAP as its near impossible to live without it.

Things get much better for them if they can survive to mid game. Though try not to do anything stupid or reckless or careless. These things can land you in big trouble and usually a nice big splat
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4516 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 at 18:27 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters aren't that bad at melee (remember to check weapon marks at start... you'll see they belong to the "fighters" group). So pick up a good spear and a good shield and you're set for your early game. Undead aren't much trouble once you can kill them either in melee or with missiles (mindcrafters are another class where skilling missiles is really important). I did a DE mindcrafter once and I didn't have much trouble to get a UCG win with him...
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 at 04:27 (GMT -5)

At level 15 you can mindcraft the undeads as well with telekinetic blast.

I agree about them being good at melee. Main difference is that mindcrafters start with bad weapons and armor, and therefore can very easy die in the beginning.
I would actually advice against going deep in the Village dungeon before finding a decent armor or shield. Studded leather armor and a wooden shield would greatly improve odds of survival.
The ID level 1 can be run through a few times to find what you need. Also, level 4 in the VD can be a helpful place to be....

Inspired by myself I've started a dwarven mindcrafter now, and he's doing very well. Skullcrusher as precrown gift (I totally love that thing...dont the rest of you? One of the really good gifts IMHO).

He has very good melee now, but mindcraft is a very nice supplement. Using mind wave when surrounded by spiders and rats in the big room is lethal :).

Any tough monsters get a nice bit of confusion before I knock a second a*****e into them.

Only problem could be undeads. I managed to pick up a fair supply of undead slaying ammo and working on my missile weapon skills atm. And I'm willing to bet good money that IF I get any greater vaults, they will be undead.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5998 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

Or golems :)
Or slimes.

BTW, did anyone ever question why there are no vortex vaults? :D
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6134 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

Ive had tension rooms of vortexs, thats a killer if your unlucky in the early game> also unlucky is when your very promising character attacks a darksage, and the bastard summons lightning vortexs...
*<< Words go here >>*
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

I agree that vortices are a royal pain in the butt.
Golems and slimes can die to TB (telekinetic blast), but since it's kinda weak and you have to be right next to enemy, vortices never seem to die fast enough. Only way is to shoot them dead as one would with a melee char I guess. Or wand 'em
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6314 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

Or use a handy scroll of darkness. They don't explode in the dark, AFAIK.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: