Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / good place to gain levels?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

foxhenchman
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

Help! I've got a lvl 37 drakeling elementalist... where's a good place to raise my levels without too much corruption? I thought the ID would be okay, but there's too much background corruption for me.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

Done the Library yet?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
foxhenchman
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

yes... did the library, Minotaur Maze, most everything I'm allowed to do. I'm too low level for the bug temple, though.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

Why not just continue descending the CoC? The Bug Temple is really tough in 1.1 and I usually only attempt it around level 40+. You could also try taking out Blup's mom or doing an ID dive to find some high level tension rooms.
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4506 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

At level 37 you should do the final dive. You're not going to get any experience except from the final temple guardians (earth/mana) and on D50, unless you want to try the blue dragon caves (but in 1.1.1 the dragons won't give much experience after a while and sure will be hard to kill). Usually my characters do earth/mana temple at 30-35, gaining a few levels in the process then dive straight to D50 where you easily level from 35 to 50 in no time. And once the gate is closed, corruption isn't a problem anymore so you can level further anywhere.
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6508 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

but CAN he do the final dive. he hasn't specified if he has the fire orb yet or not. this could be a ToEF help thread.

If he can, then I'd say for him to go.
You die...
foxhenchman
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

thank you guys! i'm going to try it... i have the fire and water orbs already... three levels down i found a room full of ancient blue wyrms (which were surprisingly easy... that phase dagger (lvl 12) and adamantium broadsword of slaughtering (+5 5d9 + 9, lvl 11) works out pretty good...

now, i'm worried about turning into chaos goo... should i go back up and get the unicorn to cleanse me? i have a lot of corruptions. i feel like i should try for an ultra neutral ending... (i have 3 SoCR and 3 PoCC on me)
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 at 01:30 (GMT -5)

If you're going for an ultra neutral ending, you need a lot of corruption to get through the gate. Get cleansed as soon as the corruption gets bad; then let it build up again until you're extremely corrupted and can get through the gate.

Keep those corruption-removers for the Chaos plane, except that you might want to remove the really bad corruptions with potions when you get those. (Mana battery, for example.)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

With only 3 SoCRs and 3 !oCC I wouldn't risk an ultra ending. The Chaos Plane corrupts *extremely* quickly. Unless you can find more SoCRs, I would settle for a regular ending. Remember, there are some extra guaranteed SoCRs in the BUGCAV and High Mountain Village.

If you do decide to go for an ultra ending, then you may as well get cleansed by the unicorn now. If you decide to go for a regular ending, then progress as far as you can before corruptions become dangerously overwhelming and then get cleansed.
BattleAxe
Registered user

Last page view:

6332 days, 15 hours, 59 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

The bug temple is not that hard if you got a good instrument and a good Music skill (90+). I attempted it that way with a lvl 25 or so Drakeling Mindcrafter and got most of the temple to 'the *bug* does not care about you' status and they fought the other bugs that was attacking me, though I recommend a big DV (at least 60 or so on coward).
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

Yes, I find the Bug Cave easy. You need a huge amount of missiles/spells and never let them close to you (it is possible with normal speed PC with blessed 7LB, and it becomes easier and easier as you eat the corpses).

I recommend descending to the second level for the first time as fast as possible (i.e. as soon as you kill the killer bugs surrounding the entrance). Otherwise bugs you kill above will strengthen ones below. Being surrounded by GCBs at the second level is the most dangerous moment. I think the best method here is to stealthily wait until a GCB wakes up and enters your range, then you can climb up and it will follow you. Usually about 3 bugs will follow you and attack immediately, you have to survive their attacks, and then flee and take them out with missiles.

Alternatively, if you have the Music skill: get to the center (by taming a GCB or with missiles), tame a KB, tell it to kill all GCBs to gain experience, and now you can safely order your KB to kill all KBs you see.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 20 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

Since he is a magic-user, he should ballspell the ones on floor 2 to death. Water orb + some more Willpower for a big ball, wear 2 shields and be in coward mode as you enter level 2. Some effectiveness is good.
Use door creation wands to seal off sections you don't wish to do.

About exp after ToEF, I will often head right down towards D:48. How to get exp is then either:
* Find a greater vault I can handle on the way, and...handle it
* Kill grues on D:48, they are good exp
* Clear the Earth temple if I can (acid ball or penetrating power, or even enough construct slayers)
I do this because after I locate the stairs down on each level I can descend fast anyway, and because I often need Corruption removal, and therefore need to surface to turn in the lower orb guardian corpses.
foxhenchman
Registered user

Last page view:

6658 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

you guys rock. i had the unicorn clean me, and then dove in... cleaned out a blue wyrm room, a red dragon vault (i hid in a corner and they had to come to me one by one... with rings of ice, fireproof blanket, and nature's companion, i took almost no damage)... stun rayed the ancient stone beast, and now am at the blue dragon caves. unfortunately, i got corrupted super fast on the way. so i've got around 8 corruptions, i've already visited the unicorn... i've got maybe 5 PoCC and 10 SoCR left... i'm a little nervous about turning into a blob.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

10 SoCRs? That's about 15 (or even 16) corruptions, at least if you remember to bless them. 5 PoCCs can clean 3 corruptions or 4. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to clean yourself of 19 or 20 corruptions total. No need to be nervous. Just don't read spellbooks of Wish on D:48 and you'll be fine.

Be careful with the dragon caves, though. Those blue dragons deliver nasty item destruction... Leave your SoCRs behind on the stairways in Sharad-Waador's room. Ideally, I would use some of them now.

If you go there at all, that is. Nasty place.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

Good luck foxhenchman! I still recommend doing a regular ending. You still need to complete the Mana Temple, and an ultra ending would mean completing the dragon caves, the stone circle (assuming you haven't done that already), a trip to the ID (potentially a long one), and (most importantly of all) a showdown with the emperor moloch - that's a *LOT* of corruption to deal with!
foxhenchman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

I have to say... I loved ADOM before finding this forum, but all the little details and spoilers and endless variety have made me love it more.

Now... I thought I'd try filk, but I was mistaken about who I thought my first kill was... does the level generate a special message when you reach him?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

Nope, that's the problem, if you can't remember your first kill
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
foxhenchman
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

Hmm... is it possible it just takes Filk a little while to show up? I was so sure I killed a beggar first (1 kill), but a blessed wand of monster detection didn't reveal him. Is it possible i just need to be more patient?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

He usually shows up in the first room of the level, which makes him easy enough to find really, if you decide to just dive through the ID. Make sure you have a blessed wands of fireballs handy, by far the easiest way to kill him. I assume you have spoken to the Assassin Prince to actually get the quest? (sorry, but I gotta ask to be sure!)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: